PDA

View Full Version : Looking at taking some classes

Shawnhines
11-23-2006, 05:10 AM
I am looking at taking some Bussiness classes... Something like Small bussiness managment, does anyone have any ideas on what to take or what not to take???

Dreams To Designs
11-23-2006, 07:54 AM
Look in your are for the Small Business Association. They typically offer classes at local colleges for a single evening per topic and are a great help.
http://sba.gov/

Kirk

Matt k
11-25-2006, 01:01 PM
Anything in Finance, Accounting, Business Systems, Speech Class, etc.. SBA is a good place to start, or look at a community college that is local. Online schools are not as good for individual attention if that is what you are seeking. Check with your local landscape associations, many will offer business development classes at trade shows if you are looking for some general info.

Az Gardener
11-25-2006, 05:30 PM
Find an E-Myth coach. I tried the college classes route and I could not take it. too much time invested for such small results and had to travel.

If you want to be a business man learn about operating a business. If you want to be an accountant take accounting classes. But don't confuse the two. You need to know haw to read a P & L not produce one.

Do a search if you are not familiar with E-Myth. It will cover all aspects of business and it will be geared to your business. The books are a good start but can't compare to to the personal coaching. I can't say enough good things about E-Myth. Just be prepared to open your wallet and invest 4-6 hours week working on your business not in your business. Best money I have spent.

Matt k
11-26-2006, 07:57 PM
The Emyth has to do mostly with business systems. It is a very valuable book and I have heard good things about the coaching. Just because you take a accounting class does not mean you are an accountant, don't confuse the two. You need some basic business skills that are well learned in the classroom, can also be done outside the classroom, but that was not the question asked in the thread.

Az Gardener
11-26-2006, 10:23 PM
The books give you a lot of information about systems but the books are really just advertising for the coaching in my opinion. If you read the book and do what they tell you to do you will help the business maybe 15-25% improvement.

You hire the coach it can revolutionize your business. The real beauty is it can just as easily be used in any other business.

The very first question my coached asked is, what do you want you business to look like when its complete? That really opened my eyes and when I gave it some thought it was nothing like the business I was operating. So we began to reverse engineer the business and then were able to lay the groundwork for a business I wanted not one that just happened to evolve by cosmic circumstances.

They have a sequence they recommend, but they work for you. We tackled the areas where I felt weakest first and worked from there. It usually took about two months to work through a section. When it was complete I had some customized policies and systems that I developed for my company. I was able to implement them right away and start reaping the rewards for my work.

I have just had bad experiences with college teachers and they did little to instill confidence. You spend months learning how to do something that may or may not help your business.

The coach is out there daily working with companies much bigger than mine actively trying new things seeing the results and making corrections. His experiences with things other companies had tried was invaluable, probably saved me years.

The misconception is that you business is ever really done. If you have instilled a good company culture your business will evolve. Your field people will figure out better ways to do things they will document the changes and a new system for something will come of it. But it will evolve in a direction that you have set in motion.

Az Gardener
11-26-2006, 10:38 PM
Sorry to run on but I just read Matts post and I agree you need basic business skills. I just never saw a college class on leadership or management or client fulfillment or generating leads or lead conversion or quantifying your results. They did have classes on marketing and finance but I don't think they compare to the E-myth stuff.

I guess it boils down to business basics you get what you pay for. You pay 150 for a semester class and you get 150 worth if info. E-myth coaching is 500-600 per month. If you are serious about your business its worth the cash.

The only ground I will give is if you are going to a top notch business school. But most are going to go the CC or state university route and I think your education is only as good as the teacher.