PDA

View Full Version : Mower MFG. Support ?

Mowman
06-21-2001, 10:45 PM
Wondering if any of you have had good luck with SUPPORT from the makers of your mower of choice. I can say nothing but good things about the Walker MFG Company. I bought a used Walker and was having alot of little things going wrong with it. Local dealer would not give me the time of day because I bought it off the internet and not from them. So I e-mailed Walker and got all the advice and how to's to fix my mower myself. They have been GREAT support. I even had trouble getting parts from the dealer and they (Walker) got them straight on this problem also. They told me they were there for me and every other Walker Owner, cause if we the Commercial Cutter don't succeed their business will not GROW either. They even went as far as to send me the right manuals for my 1993 MT. All were sent express mail and charged me NOTHING. They said they were there for me.
Any of you have good experience with the MFG. of your mowers or do you get the COLD SHOULDER treatment?
The Walker might not be the FASTEST mower on the market but they have a GREAT CUT and EXCELLENT SUPPORT from the MFG. Just my experience with Walker, I didn't get this kind of treatment from Toro, just the kind of cold shoulder treatment.
What are your experiences?
Mowman

Avery
06-21-2001, 10:58 PM
Just the oppisite mowman. Really crappy support on my Walker, fantastic support from my Toro dealer. Problems with a GHS Walker made me lose 80% of my residential clients one year. This is part of the reason I no longer do residential. The dealer would keep the machine for weeks at a time I would get it back, use it one day then they would get it again. I cannot say enough bad things about Walker. Some of the things I do not like are that it cuts slow, rides rough, breaks down to easily, covers you with what you are cutting because you sit so close to the deck. They do have one of the best vacume systems out there though. I just don't have a need to collect clippings anymore. I finally got rid of the one I had after several call to Walker and MANY discussions with the dealer. Only talk of legal action prompted them to help me.

Now Toro is just the oppisite. They will come pick the machine up on a moments notice on the RARE occasions they break down. They send a mechanic to pick up the machine on the chance that the problem can be fixed in the field. Toro's are faster, more durable, and comfortable to operate. As I only cut large commercial properties they work better for me. I still have one Walker, but rarely use it. It is a 2001 GHS with a 20 h.p. Kohler. I keep it because my wife likes to cut our yard with it. Very expensive toy if you ask me, but it keeps the Misses happy.

JJ Lawn
06-22-2001, 12:42 AM
I can't say enough Good about my dealer either. I have 2 Walkers and If I have to take one in for repair they will stop what they are working on to get me going again.(unless another LCO is standing their waiting for his mower, then I have to wait.) If I have to leave it for repair, it will be ready the next morning for pick up.

They keep an ample supply of maintenance parts in stock and then some. If they happen to be out of stock of a part I really need to get back to mowing, they will take part from mower on showroom floor. And if they don't have a new mower in stock for part robbing, they can get most anything over-nighted from supplier. Can't beat service like that.

As far a Walker, bunch of good folks there also. Bob himself returned a call to me about a small problem I was having when I bought my first Walker, and Dennis Cox can help you with any maintenance or repair problem you have. Some of us are just luckier than others I guess.

Jim

Avery
06-22-2001, 01:22 AM
Seems to be the case with me JJ. I have a definite attraction to lemons! Walkers have their place in the industry. If I were mainly doing residential or a sole operator I would use them. They just fall short on the larger properties or when you have numerous employees running them. The first one I had owned had 8 hydro's replaced. Never did find out the problem. Dealer did finally swap me a new one for the problem one, but it took two years of me constanly complaining. Last time I took it in for repairs the manager said it was fixed. I told him I wanted it replaced...not fixed. He went in the office to make a call. One of the mechanics who had been working on the machine for two years walked over to me and was talking. As the manager got within earshot he said "Yea, this mower will never be right". The look on the managers face was priceless! Needless to say I got a new mower that day. It works OK, but does not compare to our Toro Z-Master with the 62" SFS deck. Those things make short work of large areas.