PDA

View Full Version : Business Plan....

Piedmont
06-21-2001, 10:09 PM
I am about to finish school, and am trying to decide where my market for a landscaping and maintenance business will be. I also am trying to develop a business plan to show investors that I am serious and have put time into my decision. My questions are...does anyone have a business plan that they would be willing to share, and how do I get sufficient information to determine where the best market is going to be in my area? I have three possibles in which I have valuable connections to at least give me some sort of "push" towards $$$$$ and accounts.
Thanks for the help,
Mark
P.S. One guy that I used to work landscaping for told me that most landscapers and maintenance business usually have debt for 5 yrs before a good profit is established. Is this true? If not, it will not surprise me...the guy went out of business 5 months after I left.:confused:

KindGardener
06-22-2001, 11:54 AM
Welcome Piedmont, You sure came to the right place to guarantee your success.

First, hit the "Search" button (in the upper-right area of the screen) and look for "business plan". That returns a couple hundred posts to read.

Next, read at least a couple thousand threads from the senior members, who consistently post valuable gems about the business.

Also, check www.planware.org (free bus. plan) Working out your own plan is a REAL good exercise - a LOT of value comes from just having to think thru some of the questions yourself.

Good luck with your venture!

Fantasy Lawns
06-22-2001, 05:11 PM
http://www.anla.org/applications/PressReleases/releases/0040.htm
http://www.sba.gov/starting/indexbusplans.html

here's a start .....some "real" ##'s related to our industry ....Business Plan is a good way to learn & understand your abilities n where you fit in your local economy's ....if you want to really do it .....use a web search on "Stategic Management" "Finacial Ratios" use other related terms like this .....there is NO Short Cut

using another plan will NOT work ...you MUST make your OWN .....if anything use other plans ONLY as a guide line .....

you must be the one which creates the mission statement, identify's strategic factors external & internal,under stand feasible alternatives & objectives evaluates, describes, selects, determines and finally implement your action plan & create the controls & measurement of success to your market strategy .....good luck ;->

(Books Million or Barnes should help also)

Piedmont
06-22-2001, 05:28 PM
:D

Guido
06-23-2001, 01:59 PM
I read a pretty good book a while back that is dedicated to the business side of running a landscape business and its for beginners to intermediete knowledge levels. Vey easy to understand, and it's one of the first business books that hasn't put me to sleep yet! ;)
It dedicates a few chapters and some good templates to make your own biz plan.

Its called How to start a home-based landscaping business by Owen E. Dell ISBN#1-56440-997-X

I bought it at either barnes and noble or amazon.com for under $20.

Hope this helps!

Fantasy Lawns
06-23-2001, 02:16 PM
that is a very good starting book "How to Open & Operate a Home-Based Landscaping Business".....examples of contracts ....setting up bids .....plus the appendix has further reference material to look for ;->