PDA

View Full Version : Newbee needs advice.

charlesw
06-21-2001, 11:09 PM
I'm currently maintaining a few yards around my neighborhood. I'm tired of the corporate life and I'm interested in building my own lawn business in the North Dallas area.

Can anyone give me some advice on what I need to do to get started?
Laws and regulations, permits, do I need special permit for straying weeds and bugs. Any startup or reference information is appriciated.

Thanks

Charles W. :)

LoneStarLawn
06-21-2001, 11:21 PM
1. You must charge sales tax for lawn and garden services in Texas...
1a. A FEIN needs to be obtained from the IRS to get a tax payer number for the sales tax permit.
2. Texas requires a pesticide license to spray for bugs/weeds, but is not needed for fert.
3. Contact you county clerk to obtain DBA (Doing Business As) if you are working under a company name and/or register with the Secretary of State of Texas(if necessary).

Here is a good starting point for starting a buisness in Texas..
http://www.tded.state.tx.us/guide/

Here is the sales tax information for Texas...
http://window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/questions.html

As far as lawn care questions...use the search feature at top right of the page to look up information that may answer a specific question..if doesn't answer it, then post a thread on the specific question.

Good Luck

Fantasy Lawns
06-21-2001, 11:29 PM
welcome charlesw .....your in the right spot ....wish I had such a great reference tool as the search feature .....Good Luck ;->

Fine Lines Lawn
06-22-2001, 07:30 AM
Good luck Charles and welcome to the LawnSite community.

charlesw
06-23-2001, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the great links and warm welcome.

Happy growing and mowing.

Charles W

swn
06-23-2001, 01:53 AM
Good luck Charles. You will find lawnsite to be a useful tool. Lawn care can be a very rewarding profession. Takes a lot of hard work, but you have always got something to show for it.

sheppard
06-23-2001, 09:19 AM
Prospect like heck and drop the corporate job! Nothing motivates like urgent need! Read this site everyday and search topics that come to your mind. Visit your local dealerships and decide who has compitant support staff/maintenance people. Call everybody you know and offer referals/discounts to people that are in close proximity to your targeted neighborhoods.

Cordially,
Sheppard

KD'sLawns
06-23-2001, 09:32 AM
Welcome aboard Charles!

Check with the Texas Department of Agriculture as to what permits are needed and for what reason.

Good Luck!:p

bobbygedd
06-24-2001, 01:39 PM
good luck in your new business. this is what i did: started with a couple of push mowers, wanted the business to pay for itself rather than going in hock and working for the next 2 years to break even. as the work increased, i could justify the purchase of better equipment. as far as permits for treating pests and weeds, i would almost say "wing it" but i understand in texas they send u to the gas chamber for anything, so what i would do is sub out the work until u have enough demand for it to justify paying for your permits and the additional insurance. i know most guys will say invest in the best equipment u can afford, whatever u choose will work, this is just the way i did it and my business has always been very profitable. good luck, and most important dont get discouraged, make realistic goals and do whatever possible to achieve them, when u do then make new ones, u also have the best advice possible on this site, take advantage of it and god bless

charlesw
06-25-2001, 11:17 AM
From the little time I've spent here, I can see this is a great site with lots of great people willing to help their fellow man. I'd like to say thanks for the info you've provided me (and others). :)

I'm planning on passing out flyers in my surrounding area to advertise. On the front of the flyer is my advertisment and pricelist, on the back of the flyer is some helpful hints for the property owner. My intent is to let the owner know that I want to help them establish a good quality lawn. What do you think?

The down side is that several neighborhood kids are passing out flyers for mowing lawns. They are charging $20 to mow, $5 to edge. :confused: This will hurt my business.

Are neighborhood flyers the best way to advertise? (With a good target audiance, I'll be lucky to get 1%-2% return rate)
What kind of luck have you had with flyers of other advertising?

Thanks again,

XOFMOT
06-25-2001, 11:00 PM
Welcome CHARLESW!!!!

I very new to this site as well. I have been a member for about two weeks now and have learned more about this business than all the books I have read. These guys (oop's PEOPLE) are the greatest! I presently work FULL TIME at a "REGULAR" job. If all goes as planned....this "REGULAR JOB" will only be lasting until the spring of 2002! (sooner is always better, but I have a family to think about first).

Learned alot because I asked alot! I spend more time on here now just doing SEARCHES on ANYTHING that comes to mind. Believe me..it's on here!

Take a look at all the items that I have posted, look at the responces...and LEARN like I'm doing.

Some stuff you will have to figure out on your own..your state/town may require different items from you for your business. Just do everything to make everything legal. Listen to what LONESTARLAWN has to say, he is from your state..he can help and am 100% sure he will (he has helped me out alot).

So GOOD LUCK! and I hope you make it!

charlesw
06-29-2001, 12:15 PM
Before I look into insurance, I'd like to get an idea of what the legitimate people are doing.
What should I expect to pay for a part time business with one person (myself)?
Who do you recommend using for purchasing insurance?

Thanks