PDA

View Full Version : new string trimmers for 2007

BufalinoLand
11-24-2006, 01:07 PM
since stihl is no longer making the fs 85(to my knowledge)

what do you reccomend as far as true 2-stroke

i dont like those 4 mix jokers

thanks

LawnInOrder
11-24-2006, 01:55 PM
personally i use the redmax bcz 2600. it a good all around trimmer. light enough for everyday use and tuff enough for those over grown yards. Starts up pretty easy for me, 1-2 pulls cold. it's easy to put in line becasue of the easy to use head on there. All around a good trimmer in IMO. LawnInOrder

TheLawnBarber
11-24-2006, 02:00 PM
What don't you like about the 4-mix jokers?

ThirdDay
11-24-2006, 03:28 PM
We switched to Echo SRM-260S trimmers several years back and we have had great luck with them.

TWUllc
11-24-2006, 03:37 PM
What don't you like about the 4-mix jokers?

x2. Why? No problems here.

ed2hess
11-24-2006, 06:21 PM
Echo still is two stroke...no valves, but get units with carb adjustment.

S man
11-24-2006, 07:25 PM
since stihl is no longer making the fs 85(to my knowledge)

what do you reccomend as far as true 2-stroke

i dont like those 4 mix jokers

thanks

Why not try the fs80r if you like the 85. It's the same except for a flex cable shaft instead. And those "4 mix jokers" Mean business.

Maruyama also makes some mean stuff. True extra commercial they say.

personally i use the redmax bcz 2600. it a good all around trimmer. light enough for everyday use and tuff enough for those over grown yards. Starts up pretty easy for me, 1-2 pulls cold. it's easy to put in line becasue of the easy to use head on there. All around a good trimmer in IMO. LawnInOrder

No more redmax trimmers for me.:cry: Watch that shaft.

Just Mow
11-24-2006, 09:47 PM
Echo still is two stroke...no valves, but get units with carb adjustment.
Not true, ask the Echo rep in your area. They have a 4-Stroke SRM360 unit. They just don't have to sell it in the US at this time. They have to sell it everywhere else because their units aren't compliant.

Proscapez LLC
11-24-2006, 10:07 PM
I have been running 2 Dolmar 260c this summer, With great results, no down time and very powerful. I would recommend them to anyone but wednesday I blew the shaft out of one.
I don't know if it was a factory flaw or if I worked it to hard.
I won't lie, I work them hard on my jobs.
It's still cover under warranty, I just have to make time to drop it off.
As I doubt they'll carry the parts to fix it.

Both engines still running like demons!!!!!!

rudeboy3
11-24-2006, 10:19 PM
SRM 260s is a great trimmer and i dont know where you all live but try to find TMC power equipment. that stuff is EXCELLENT.

Envy Lawn Service
11-25-2006, 12:54 AM
Well, I had one FS85 go down on me too.
Sheared flywheel key requiring I buy an entire flywheel to get it back going.
It was my oldest... like 4 seasons... bit much to put into it.

But anyways, I found myself in the same boat.

What I ended up doing was picking up a RedMax as a trial replacement. My other option was to go to the same machine in an FS80, but I did not want to step down to something without a steel driveshaft.

I guess I have said it 100 times now... but here it is again...

The RedMax trimmers are NICE and make good power. But as far as build is concerned, they are not Stihl when it comes to that extra ruggedness. I could tell that right away. But it's got a 2 year commercial warranty and a very fuel efficient true 2 cycle engine that meets EPA requirements.

I ended up with the RedMax BCZ2600. But I wouldn't really recommend it though. Instead, I'd suggest getting the BCZ3000 model. There is no reason not to. Same weight, same package, MORE power... no brainer. But my main reason for making this suggestion is that the BCZ2600 units I have used to not start as easily as they should. The others seem to do fantastic.

ed2hess made a good suggestion as well.
You'd want atleast a SRM-260/260T to replace an FS85 though.

If you have all Stihl stuff and do not want the "sore thumb" look of one off piece of equipment, you might look at Tanaka also. I think they still make an orange one...