PDA

View Full Version : Your leaf loader just packed your....

oOTurfmanoO
11-24-2006, 07:58 PM
pick-up bed full of leaves! How do you empty it?

**Pick-up bed with leaf box, not dump truck with leaf box**

I ask this question b/c I have seen pics of the mentioned set-up and wonder how the debris is unloaded

topsites
11-24-2006, 08:15 PM
I dunno, I load mine in the 6x12, I am sure I can get a lot more leaves in the trailer than in the bed...

I push them in pretty good, but not so good that I can't unload it with my backpack blower. Takes between 15-20, sometimes 30-45 minutes. A bit time consuming, but easy-peasy.

That, or you can use the 10-tine pitchfork. PITA, but highly effective.

You can also buy a tarp large enough to cover the entire area and then attach some chains w/ hooks to it... Either tie it to a tree and drive forward or if you're at the dump, sometimes the guys operating the loaders will hook and pull it for you.

Grn Mtn
11-24-2006, 08:22 PM
a buddy of mine just runs 2 chains across the floor and up the back wall of his 7x16 and hangs them on a nail. loads the crap out of the trailer, goes to the dump hooks the chains to another pickup and pulls away. the chains pull almost all the leaves out- no pallets no tarps, just 2 chains. Takes him 30 seconds to do that and another 45 seconds to sweep/blow the remaining shrapnel out.

oOTurfmanoO
11-24-2006, 08:26 PM
a buddy of mine just runs 2 chains across the floor and up the back wall of his 7x16 and hangs them on a nail. loads the crap out of the trailer, goes to the dump hooks the chains to another pickup and pulls away. the chains pull almost all the leaves out- no pallets no tarps, just 2 chains. Takes him 30 seconds to do that and another 45 seconds to sweep/blow the remaining shrapnel out.

I can imagine the amount of leaves packed into a 7x16 . Having said that, he must have one heavy duty tarp, something a bit heavier than the Lowes brand right?

sildoc
11-24-2006, 08:40 PM
2 tow ropes attached to a 4x4 pallet. I recomend not having a sprayed in bed liner. too much friction.
30 seconds. find the pallet and tow ropes toss in and go. I never sweep my bed perfect if I know that there is no end in sight.

Roger
11-24-2006, 09:01 PM
Do a search on the topic. This one has been discussed over and over again. Many folks have suggested ideas they claim work for them.

I use a 5X10 trailer, 3 foot sides. I continue to search for a good way, but continue to return to my 4-tined pitchfork, and refuse hook. Here is the link for the hook:

http://www.amleo.com/index/item.cgi?cmd=view&Words=1383h

It is a load to handle and use, but I can pull off about half the load from the rear. If the load is loose, more than half, if the load is tight, less than half.

All the pallet, chain ideas don't work for me because I have nothing to tie off at one end. I work myself, so having another truck/pickup to help is out of the question. Where I dump, the roadway is often very wet and muddy, and the dumping area is very hard to reach with a trailer. I'm feel good just to get to the dumping area, let alone worrying about a pole, tree, or another vehicle to help with the unloading.

gene gls
11-24-2006, 09:03 PM
pick-up bed full of leaves! How do you empty it?

**Pick-up bed with leaf box, not dump truck with leaf box**

I ask this question b/c I have seen pics of the mentioned set-up and wonder how the debris is unloaded

I loaded my old pickup from the front so it was packed the tightest in the back. When I opened the back door a lot of the load fell out with out even touching it. I use a 5 tine potato hook to unload the remainder, 5-15 minuets depending on how wet and packed the load was.

Uranus
11-24-2006, 09:08 PM
Dump insert. less than 3 grand insalled and build a leaf box. end of problem.

Nickcon404
11-24-2006, 10:57 PM
Dump insert. less than 3 grand insalled and build a leaf box. end of problem.

Yep! Dump and leaf box. Only way to make $$