PDA

View Full Version : Stealth for backup?

gogetter
06-22-2001, 01:43 AM
Did a search, but most posts were around a year old. Thought there might be some new info or new members with info on these Sutech Stealth mowers.

I was thinking about one for a backup to my Exmark 36". It would be a back up and occasionally used if I have a helper. So it wouldn't see much use (probably not much more then a homeowner).

I know from previous posts that there are alot of guys that think these are junk, but I gotta wonder how many of them actaully have any personal expereince with them at all.

There is actually a dealer near by that sells them, so parts and service wouldn't be a problem I guess.

May go and demo one, but thought I'd check for personal experience here first. Thanks!

Keith
06-22-2001, 02:05 AM
I think you would be much happier buying another 36 Exmark. What do they cost these days, $2200? Use it for your primary, use your older Exmark for the backup. Better yet just rotate between them.

hobbes
06-22-2001, 02:26 AM
Gogetter,
JUNKJUNKJUNK.
If you have to get a commercial pretender 33 the Troy-bilt is slightly (but not much) better. I've bought and traded in both....for comm 21's.

gogetter
06-22-2001, 03:05 AM
Keith, any idea what the Stealths cost?. My Exmark is brand new. And $2200 is alot of money I don't have right now.

Hobbes, how often were you using your Stealth? How long ago was this? If it was a while ago, any chance they've improved them? There was one post in the archives by a guy who liked his Stealth (in dry conditions). As far as going with a 21", I have one for small areas, but wanted something bigger that could back up my 36" for a couple days if it was in the shop.

Guess I'll try demoing one. Doesn't cost anything to look.
Thanks anyway guys.

grassyfras
06-22-2001, 03:06 AM
Hey

What I would do is test drive it like you said. If You like the power and performance then what the hell get it. If you arn't going to use it more then a homeowner would then I would consider it. I have a 36" also. I dont have a backup for it. I did have to use a 21" that I had to use because the other mower was broken for a week and needed help. So make sure the mower can mow enough grass incase that happens.

Keith
06-22-2001, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by gotgetter
Keith, any idea what the Stealths cost?. My Exmark is brand new. And $2200 is alot of money I don't have right now.

Probably about $1400

hobbes
06-22-2001, 03:37 PM
Gogetter,
Bought one last year. Don't know if they've made any improvents since. Used it for gated backyard (for about 2 weeks).
Difficult to maneuver-if you have alot of open area mabe ok.
Terrible in tall or wet turf(3 blades)-if you're only mulching mabe ok.
Scraped everything-if you cut over 3 or flat turf mabe ok.
Broke a belt&handle in one week-back to the shop it went.
The Troy-Bilt 33 was slightly better in thick turf and seemed better built. They have a comm Brigs and a dealer around here puts Honda 8's on them. Some guys seem to like them. I didn't.

Indiana
06-22-2001, 03:48 PM
I have a catalog from a Nationwide outfit that sells these mowers.

A 9 hp Kawasaki, recoil start, 33" deck Stealth mower goes for $1649.00 from them.

Just some info for you.

JUPITER
06-22-2001, 05:07 PM
Gotgetter,
I had recent experience with a Stealth. Bought it in April upon the recommendation of my dealer who thought it would fit my needs for the price (not to much mowing - mostly landscaping). Only once was I happy with the cut and that was under perfect conditions with dry grass and not too tall. All other times I found myself going over the lawns 3 & 4 times trying to get the stragglers and disperse the clumps. Each time I finally reverted to my 21" Toro to finish the job right. I kept giving it the benefit of the doubt (my dealer wouldn't steer me wrong, I thought). Even tried various blades but was never happy with the cut. Mulching is out of the question with the Stealth, as the clumping is terrible. Discharging not much better. Finally threw in the towel at the beginning of the month and took it back to the dealer and payed the extra for an Exmark. The difference is unbelievable!
Besides the qaulity of cut, the Stealth is hard to maneuver. You have to manually turn the machine vs. using the hand controls on the Exmark. Plus, unlike the Exmark, the Stealth requires two hand operation on both the controls at all times in order for it to go forword. Thus, you can't let go of a handle to avoid your hand being nicked or scrapped by a low lying branch, or even to swat a mosquito. I agree with Hobbs. Maybe for long flat strips on a perfect day, the Stealth works. Otherwise I found I could actually save time using my 21" Toro over the Stealth. If cost is a consideration, buy a couple of 21" for back-up before the Stealth.
Just speaking from my experience. Hope it helps.

roscioli
06-22-2001, 05:39 PM
I saw a used stealth in the want ads for $1100. Its a 2001, 31" "New condition, Gives awesome cut". Hmm.. if its so awesome, why are you selling it? Ha Ha.
Has anyone here used the troy bilt 33" commercially? I was thinking about a used one, $850, to use on only 4 lawns a week. Let me know about your experiences, because even though a couple of you guys say that they are better than the stealth, they sell for much less it seems. And for info, i am not even considering a stealth.

Keith
06-22-2001, 05:56 PM
BTW gotgetter, you are in Stone's neck of the woods. I bet he has a decent Toro WB for sale for less than you'll pay for that Stealth. ;)

hobbes
06-22-2001, 05:59 PM
roscioli,
I posted some info on the Troy-Bilt above. I have bought 2 and traded both for 21's in a matter of months. Slightly better than Stealth (2 blades vs. 3). Still found very poor cut.

gogetter
06-22-2001, 06:09 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I didn't realize the Stealth was quite so high $$. I got my Exmark for 2 grand (before taxes), so not a big savings on the Stealth.
I guess I'll keep looking for a nice used 36". But haven't seen anything yet.
Thanks again.

roscioli
06-22-2001, 07:42 PM
hobbes, thanks, i saw your post about them before, i meant anyone else.. sorry, should have specified. Thanks though, mike

TLS
06-22-2001, 11:46 PM
My neighbor just bought a used Troy-Built 33 with an 8hp briggs for $350. The thing doesn't even allow for discharge. It is strictly a mulcher. Any cuts over 2" will leave LOTS of stringers due to lack of lift. Actually the mulching blades have more down lift than up lift?? It has 4 speeds and reverse. 2-3-4 are useless as 1st is still to fast for a decent cut. Maybe something is wrong with it, but if it were me and I bought it from the factory, it would go right back where it came from. They used to make good rototillers at one time. Maybe they should stick to them.

Twotoros
06-23-2001, 01:37 PM
Just sold my like new stealth to a homeowner. I did not mind the cut but hated the way it handled. After one lawn I felt like I had done four. Best back-up for your 36" would be another 36". Or look to up grade to a wider cut and use the exmark for a back-up.Just say no to the Stealth dealers out there guys.

Evan528
06-23-2001, 08:57 PM
You can buy a used 36 in good consition for 1,000 bucks! It will cut nicly and outlast a "homeowner wide cut mower" 4 times.

jnjnlc
06-23-2001, 09:16 PM
I have the Craftsman version of the Troy Built. I bought it last year. Sears had sold it to a lady, she used it once and brought it back. They sold it to me for about 500.00 under retail. I jumped on it. I use it on about six lawns a week (hills and flat lawns).

It has the 8hp B&S, two blades, three speeds forward and one reverse. I mainly mulch all of them but one lawn (she insist I bag it).

If the lawn is not wet or to high I can mulch in third gear. Thick wet grass must be done in second. It only has one control to make it go and you have to swing it around to turn. The one good thing is that it is not to heavy. Going down a hill can be fun if you are not careful.

It needs a bigger engine. I think they put 9hp on the newer Troy Builts.

I have had to replace the belt and the blade drive pully twice. Other than that no problems.

Even though I own one, I got to go with everyone else on this one. Buy the 36" comercial machine. It just makes better sense.

Prasino
06-23-2001, 10:36 PM
I picked up an Encore proline 32 for 1800. I think this machine is better then the stealth. It has the 12hp briggs, and i use it often for gated houses. I have not had a problem yet.

BerksLawn
06-24-2001, 11:52 PM
We have the cub cadet version. Its on its 4th year(2nd commercial) it stripes and cuts great, and with the floating deck its easy to raise the hieght.
Yes it does suck from goin to a belt drive walk behind to this but its great for small back yards. We have had a few problems, cracked spindle due to running a pipe over and the deck is alittle cracked. Its now used for about 5 yards where a 36inch cant get. If your looking at used why dont you get a 48" and get larger yards done faster. Are 48" can do anything the 36" can besides gate wise. JUst my 2 cents.

Steve