PDA

View Full Version : Get ta spraying your Iron...

KirbysLawn
06-22-2001, 02:19 AM
This summer is hot, 91 degreas today and lawns are showing it! If you have not considered applying Iron, do it! Such a great way to get grass green in a hurry. You can also take care of a few other jobs also if you have weeds, trees, shrubs. Just avoid getting Iron on your house, car, hildren, dogs, and ca...no....spray the cats..:blob2:

Have fun and get stuff green.

Good night, zzzzzzzzz

KirbysLawn
06-22-2001, 12:51 PM
I got this question via PM, I will post it here:

I saw from your thread that you said that this is the time of the year to apply iron. I have bought ironite but it is so expensive to get by the bag that I have just quit using it. Do you apply a liquid iron? Where is it availible from and what are the rates of application.

I apply liquid Iron at 8 oz per 1000sf. I get 5 gallons for $50 at Lesco. Five gallons of Iron is 640 ounces, at 8oz per 1000sf that will cover 80,000 sf, much cheaper than Ironite, that $0.62 cents per 1000. Lesco also sells a granular 10% Iron 5-10-18 I think that is around $0.86 per 1000.

Ray

CSRA Landscaping
06-22-2001, 01:23 PM
Ray, do you apply iron as a part of your service, or do you charge extra for that?

KindGardener
06-22-2001, 01:26 PM
Ray - thanks for the good reminder & for the followup post!

Most of my lawns are only 150 sqft to 800 sqft, so I usually apply granular fertilizers with a hand-crank "whirlybird" (and blow/sweep the excess off the pavement), or I'll spray from a hand-held 2 gallon tank (or maybe a hose-end sprayer)

For these tiny lawns, and taking into consideration the time it takes to apply, clean-up, etc, which do y'all prefer - spray or granular (and why?)

Thanks!

KirbysLawn
06-22-2001, 01:43 PM
CSRA, I don't charge my yearly customers who pay 12 months. I have a few pay by the cut's who I do charge. I also have about 20 "spraying" customers and thay get charged also. I charge $35 + 3.00 per 1000 sprayed.

KindGardener, I like spraying because I can do 2 or 3 things at once. Yesterday I sprayed Bayleton & Iron, today just Iron. I could also mix weed contril if I needed and do it all at once. Spraying works faster and cost less which allows a higher profit. If it's rainy or rain is expected and the job must get done I put down granular, the sprayed Iron needs to sit on grass for about a day for best results.

Got to go spray now...

KindGardener
06-22-2001, 01:57 PM
I understand that you have areas to treat that are (probably MUCH) larger than the ones I work on, but what do you use to apply sprays for areas that don't require a backpack (or larger)?

The "wand" of my Solo got crushed this week and I'd like to replace it with a set-up that is top-quality (and has replacement parts).

Avery
06-22-2001, 04:05 PM
Way ahead of you Kirby. Did it last month. We usually do three apps. per year of Ferromec. For those of you trying it for the fist time....read the label. Different grass/shrubs get different concentrations. You can almost see bermuda turn green as you are spraying it! Great stuff and very cheap compared to most other chemicals.

KirbysLawn
06-23-2001, 03:37 AM
YEa Avery, I'm a little slow this year....gettin old and things are falling off http://www.contrabandent.com/pez/otn/funny/pityfool.gif

tpirobert
06-23-2001, 08:05 AM
Oh yeah, IRON. Thanks for the reminder. I'm spraying more this year and have some customers that would love to keep that Spring green thru the Summer. Another chance to make the customer happy and make a sale!

MATTHEW
06-23-2001, 07:29 PM
Iron does help color, so is a good material to add
to your treatments. However, I personally would not
put iron into my spray tank, unless I replaced the
units on a regular basis. Iron is the most destruc-
tive product to use besides liquid fert. It is high-
ly corrosive to all metal parts in the water flow.
Just today, I bought a ton of 32-3-7 w/2% iron in it.
That should get some results. Cost effective, also.
I paid $8.50 a bag.