PDA

View Full Version : Kohler 28 EFI..would this work?

greengiant9963
11-25-2006, 01:21 PM
Have a John Deere 737 with a 54 inch cut and 23horse kaw. The problem I have is that I am running a spindle driven bagging system and it is really draining the power. Question is have a chance to get a new 28 horse efi engine and was wondering if I could switch engines. Would this fit? Also any changes that I might need to make to the mower to make this combo work?

Richard Martin
11-25-2006, 05:30 PM
You just need to make sure all of the PTOs will fit. If you only have the crankshaft sticking out of the bottom of the engine then you need to make sure it is the same length and diameter. The engine should bolt right to the mower without any modifications.

When you get the 28 EFI make sure you get everything like the wiring harness, all of the solonoids, breakers, fuel lines, pump, fuel distribution block, filters, ECU etc. There are a lot of parts involved but if you get them all and have some decent mechanical experience you should be able to do it in a day or two.

greengiant9963
11-27-2006, 02:00 AM
You just need to make sure all of the PTOs will fit. If you only have the crankshaft sticking out of the bottom of the engine then you need to make sure it is the same length and diameter. The engine should bolt right to the mower without any modifications.

When you get the 28 EFI make sure you get everything like the wiring harness, all of the solonoids, breakers, fuel lines, pump, fuel distribution block, filters, ECU etc. There are a lot of parts involved but if you get them all and have some decent mechanical experience you should be able to do it in a day or two.

Thanks Richard,

I am actually going to be having a mechanic put it on. Just wanted to make sure it would work before I started spending the money. I know one of your dixies has the 28 efi. How do you like it overall? Thanks again.

Richard Martin
11-27-2006, 05:33 AM
I know one of your dixies has the 28 efi. How do you like it overall? Thanks again.

No problem. The engine has been flawless. It starts on the first try everytime, gets relatively good gas mileage and aside from 2 sparkplugs at 400 hours it hasn't needed a thing.