PDA

View Full Version : Omaha Nebraska Lowballer

grassmanak
11-25-2006, 05:20 PM
So i get a call from a lady a couple days, looking for year round service yada, yada, yada. I take a look at the property, nice house, 3 car garage. landscaped all the goodies. i send here a quote of 30.00 a cut and 30.00 for snow removal, now the yard is not huge, its about a 20 minute in and out by yourself house, but the driveway is a sloped 3 car. So she send me an email back saying her current company only charges $21.00 a cut, and 25 for snow removal. Now the snow i was willing to adjust my price on because i have other clients in the neighborhood already, but 21.00 per cut. I asked her who she currently uses for lawn care. She says Granualawn. I knew exactly who it was when she said. They are a big company, several crews. They do lots of big accounts as well. I was shocked to see a bigger company stoop that low. Figured id vent to you guys, Boo For Low Ballers.

CAG
11-25-2006, 05:51 PM
yeah... maybe the other co has lawns in the area and thats why they do it for 21.. same thing your doing with a different service!! not sure about your area but those prices don't meet with our min charges.. not to single u out i been seeing a lot of this crap on this site and it seems like a case of sour apples..

lawnrich
01-28-2007, 10:20 PM
granulawn is a lowballer how they make money is beyond me. i only see them in west omaha i think alot of there accounts are close. i have a flyer from them that is for $29 AN APPLICATION WITH MERIT they must upsell something

lawnpro724
01-29-2007, 12:04 AM
I understand what you saying and I've had the same problem with another company around here. I went to give an estimate in an upscale neighborhood where the lots are good size and told the lady my price $40 per cut. She told me that she had another bid for $30 and wanted to know if I could match it. I told her $35 was as low as I could go and asked her who gave the estimate for $30 thinking it was some part time lowballer only to find out it was the largest company in town. I couldn't see how they could do it that low, so one day I was out and about and ran by her house and seen them mowing 3 guys, 1 trimming, and two mowing with at least 48" cut walkbehinds. I guess lawn care is going the Wal Mart way, make a little off each lawn and do alot of them. I just don't see how you can make any money with 3 guys working and mowers, gas and so on for only $30.

TMlawncare
01-30-2007, 06:12 PM
granulawn is a lowballer how they make money is beyond me. i only see them in west omaha i think alot of there accounts are close. i have a flyer from them that is for $29 AN APPLICATION WITH MERIT they must upsell something

Most of west Omaha if very affluent. If they are doing a app. with Merit for only $29, someone in there main office must be smoking crack. One bag of merit treats 13000 sq ft and cost over $50. By the time they drive and apply it they lost some big bucks. I don't know how they can offer that price. Even if the lawn is 5000sq ft ( good luck finding a yard that small in west O.) the cost of just the Merit is over $21.

LushGreenLawn
01-30-2007, 06:16 PM
Most of west Omaha if very affluent. If they are doing a app. with Merit for only $29, someone in there main office must be smoking crack. One bag of merit treats 13000 sq ft and cost over $50. By the time they drive and apply it they lost some big bucks. I don't know how they can offer that price. Even if the lawn is 5000sq ft ( good luck finding a yard that small in west O.) the cost of just the Merit is over $21.

Price of merit $50 per bag
Price of some cheap 10-10-10 fertilizer $13

Spreading cheap 10-10-10 fertilizer and telling customers its Merit $13

TMlawncare
01-30-2007, 09:36 PM

Price of merit $50 per bag
Price of some cheap 10-10-10 fertilizer $13

Spreading cheap 10-10-10 fertilizer and telling customers its Merit $13

I hope an established company like Granulawn wouldn't pull something like this on a customer. Though it would be easily done. Talk about a way to keep cost down.

dekalb lawn man
01-30-2007, 10:43 PM
with a lot of these bigger companies its just a numbers game. They make up there profit with volume sales instead of quality sales. there is a co that is doing that in my nieghborhood to. I put out flyers for $25 per cut (already cheap as hell but its my nieghborhood, only about 100 homes so i give them a deal) and they come around and offer $22 per cut, lowballing a lowball price to begin with is not good bussiness.

bock
07-05-2008, 08:22 PM
Granulawn sucks. Thats horrible that they have to run us small guys out of town.

ed2hess
07-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Granulawn sucks. Thats horrible that they have to run us small guys out of town.

Don't understand why a solo can't run an operation cheaper than the mid size company:hammerhead:

TPendagast
07-05-2008, 10:01 PM
LArger companies also used HIRED estimators...meaning the owner doesnt do the estimating...its also possible the estimator made a MISTAKE on the estimate. It takes along time to track down a loosing mowing account in a large company beause 99% of them dont track revenue by lawn.

so there is a good chance is not even a good bid and they ARE loosing money on THIS one

ezgoer1969
07-06-2008, 09:42 PM
My question would have been why was she looking elsewhere for an estimate. She must not be happy with their services. I see their trucks all over, never with lawn equiptment and also have never seen them mowing.

JaysLawns
07-07-2008, 12:23 AM
I sure as hell know my buddies parents are not happy with them at all. They do the fertilizing for my buddies parents house. Their yard has lots of weeds. Especially after 6 days there was no results on any of the weeds. So i sprayed Surge on the weeds and sure enough within 2 days most of it was all curled over. so Granulawn isnt very good at all IMO.

bock
07-07-2008, 01:10 AM
They run two trucks. I am pretty sure they mow blue cross and that builing across the street on 72nd and mercy. just north of center. Granulawn is mostly fert and landscape.