PDA

View Full Version : His Truck Broke Down

Sammy
06-22-2001, 10:29 AM
This spring there was a guy comeing around almost every saturday looking for lawns to mow. He had a Crapsman Rider, and Homelite Trimmer in the back of his p/u truck. Always had his brother and his girl freind with him.
I had not seen him of late until yesterday at the local eatery. I asked him how his mowing service was doing. He said he had to give it up. His truck had broke down and he had to sell his Crapsman and trimmer to get $$$ to fix it. :blob3:

Another one bites the dust ! [isnt that a song...LOL...]

scottb
06-22-2001, 11:24 AM
Have a crew around my hometown in a old beat up Van pulling a wooden trailer with a snapper rider 3 push mowers and a unknown type weedeater and I have to give them credit they are working and earning a little money. Hope the guy in your post is earning money some where.

awm
06-22-2001, 03:50 PM
got a guy in this area pulls two lazers among other things
has a mexican working with him and runs both machines for 35 per hr,
to each his own,but whew!!

Administrator
06-22-2001, 04:14 PM
You guys are hardcore! :blob3:

I always wished everyone good fortune. I like to see people working for themselves to put food on their table.

TJLC
06-22-2001, 05:10 PM
I was in my garage today doing my weekly service on my mowers, when here comes a young kid with a flyer for lawncare. He started asking me questions but when I tried to help he seemed cocky like he knew it all. I found out he has no license,no comm. equipt, no ins. and no clue. He also said he was going to cut avg lawns for $3-5 less than everyone else. Great another unlicensed, uninsured lowballer, just what we need, down here. I was just trying to steer him in the right direction. He kept looking at his watch, like he had to go. Hey, I tried. I believe in helping anyone that wants to learn, but he seemed to have all the answers already.

RMDoyon
06-22-2001, 05:54 PM
Scottb,
I'd swear I saw the same rig you just described right here in High Point about 3 weeks ago.
Are you anywhere near the Triad?

Charles
06-22-2001, 08:54 PM
I too like people working to put food on the table. Only wish they would choose another line of work. With a town of 200,000 people we have around 500 licensed with the city LCOs. Way too many. 10 years ago there were only 90.

lawrence stone
06-22-2001, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Charles
I too like people working to put food on the table. Only wish they would choose another line of work. With a town of 200,000 people we have around 500 licensed with the city LCOs. Way too many. 10 years ago there were only 90.

Those are real bad numbers Charles.

Out of 200k there is maybe 100k housing units. Of those 100k units lets say 20% buy lawncare. With 500 LCO's that gives an average account base of only 40 homes per lco.

It might be time to head to "greener" pastures.

awm
06-23-2001, 08:57 AM
any body running two lazers and paying a helper for
35 per hr,got to have a rich daddy or somethin,
cause even if he is not paying taxes ,cant see how he can make money at that rate.

Charles
06-23-2001, 11:47 AM
Thats pretty accurate Lawrence. I even saw a man and woman riding around yesterday knocking on doors of homes with high grass. They were pulling cheap homeowner stuff trying to drum up biz that way. Not very economical but desperate people do desperated things. Luckily, I have an established biz and do a variety of things. I would hate to be starting a lawncare business in this environment. Creation of new industry had slowed dramacticly with the economic slowdown and all these people who have been laidoff dont have much choice or they could move to greener pastures. With all the rain I will have one of the best years in along time. But the cutting grass division could still be doing better. Everyone should call the license dept of their city and see how many lco they have per % of their population and report it here. That would be interesting to find out

scottb
06-26-2001, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by RMDoyon
Scottb,
I'd swear I saw the same rig you just described right here in High Point about 3 weeks ago.
Are you anywhere near the Triad?

I am about 45 minutes west of Winston. Who knows some people will drive anywhere they can make money.

PrimeGreen Lawn
06-26-2001, 08:15 AM
Ah, yet another story....
Yesterday, as I had ALL my equipment home, (2 complete rigs, 4 riders, 3 w/b) out to clean and sharpen blades, these two guys stopped at my door with a flier for their "Professional Yard Service". Hmmm these guys looked like rejected janitors from a scrapyard! Torn shirts, no shave in probably weeks, and inside their truck was a Crapsman, and a homelite trimmer and push broom. They asked me of I wanted a service. I asked them to look at my trailors, and tell me what the signs say. "Oh, well, I thought I'd try". The equipment I listed was the only equipment they had. Now, obviously these guys weren't professionals by any streach of the imagination, but I wished them good luck. I can appreciate anybody trying to make an extra buck. Especially if I know they can't compete with me! :D

Scott

shorelinelawn
07-03-2001, 05:22 PM
There's a kid ( 12-13 ? ) who built himself a "trailer".
it's about 3x3 ft square, 4 caster wheels, and in this he puts an unknown type of 21" push mower, his line trimmer, and a blower. he pulls behind his bicycle, and holds onto "trailer" with one hand.
We all started someplace, somehow...........

williamslawn
07-03-2001, 06:39 PM
PrimeGreen Lawn:

Maybe they thought your lawn needed some attention. LOL

Just kidding. I rember when I started. I went door to door. First year I had 11 accounts. 7 years later I have a customer base of 307 customers. Who whould of thought going door to door and putting out flyers would lead to me quiting a job making 60K with retirement and insurance to being my own boss? (And all of the headaces that go with it.)

andyslawns
07-03-2001, 06:54 PM
I got this guy here in town. Who runs a "Proffesinal Lawn Service". He knocked on the door one night and wanted to haul off leaves for me. I had about 40 bags sitting on my trailer from a big cleanup job. I told him i had a guy who would haul for 50 cents a bag. I told him if he could do better he could haul them. He said 14 dollars.( landfill fee is 17) He said he would be back the next day with his "rig" to pick them up. He comes to get them the next day and has this mini station wagon. They had that S-O-B so full of leaves. His brother said they would be back and get the rest. The guy said F*** that we will put them on top . When they left (with there $14 They bottomed out at the top of my driveway. IT was worth the 14 bucks to watch those basterds get all that crap in that little car. I see him around town with lawn mowers starpped on top of his Mowing "RIG" It is truley amazing what some people will do for a dollar!