PDA

View Full Version : any one still getting calls for...

nobagger
11-26-2006, 08:34 AM
Any one still getting calls for mowing? It was in the 60's yesterday and sunny, a beautiful day! And I got 3 calls for mowing yesterday 2 from established customers and 1 from some one who just moved in a few houses down. I had to tell them I just winterized my equipment and they were like dear in headlights "oh, ummm, well, ummm, geez, oh boy etc. ITS ALMOST FREAKIN DECEMBER! There should be a foot of snow on the ground by now, they still act like its Sept. out.

lawncare18
11-26-2006, 08:56 AM
I would pull it back out and go to work.. money is money .. may not snow for anohter 2 months.. I had to pull my mower back out .. if someone wants work im there to do it.. if not they will just call somoene else and you could loose them!!!

GreenN'Clean
11-26-2006, 09:04 AM
I got 10 to cut tomorrow and did 5 yesterday i will gladly pull my mowers back out to make money. I'm with lawncare18 if someone wants me to work I'm going to do it. You snooze you loose in this business!!!

crzymow
11-26-2006, 09:05 AM
I'm still doing cleanups, which includes mowing after i get the leaves.

JTF40
11-26-2006, 09:20 AM
Any one still getting calls for mowing? It was in the 60's yesterday and sunny, a beautiful day! And I got 3 calls for mowing yesterday 2 from established customers and 1 from some one who just moved in a few houses down. I had to tell them I just winterized my equipment and they were like dear in headlights "oh, ummm, well, ummm, geez, oh boy etc. ITS ALMOST FREAKIN DECEMBER! There should be a foot of snow on the ground by now, they still act like its Sept. out.

You should go and take care of them. You may be hungry one day and remember the ones YOU turned away. Be thankful for the calls.......:usflag:

Gatewayuser
11-26-2006, 09:46 AM
Number 1 you never winterize anything in Nov. I usually don't until Jan. Go mow the lawns unless you want to lose customers and create snow mold on the lawns. I am still mowing and the last cut will be on Tuesday but I have cleanups, ect. until January.

lawncare18
11-26-2006, 10:07 AM
I will mow until january if thats what it takes.. and trust me im not the only landscaper still out mowing and working.. they are all over around here.. get to work!!! I would be mad to if i called somoene and they refused to service me.. you would be gone and another company in.. i know some will think im crazy on here.. but if the phones rining im working no matter what

Jpocket
11-26-2006, 10:16 AM
I understand both sides here...alot of guys like myself are ready to wrap the mowing and clean-ups for the year so they can focus on snow...

Really though, how much do you think those 3 mows would amount to? $90-$150. Especially for a one time cut. IF they are regular customers i would def. do them.

Also at this point in the year, most ppl. have made the big money...so they lose motivation to go do a few spotty jobs.

Gatewayuser
11-26-2006, 12:51 PM
I understand both sides here...alot of guys like myself are ready to wrap the mowing and clean-ups for the year so they can focus on snow...

Really though, how much do you think those 3 mows would amount to? $90-$150. Especially for a one time cut. IF they are regular customers i would def. do them.

Also at this point in the year, most ppl. have made the big money...so they lose motivation to go do a few spotty jobs.

I hear you, but my jobs it could mean losing $10k a year now if that does not motivate me then there is something wrong.

nobagger
11-26-2006, 03:56 PM
Number 1 you never winterize anything in Nov. I usually don't until Jan. Go mow the lawns unless you want to lose customers and create snow mold on the lawns. I am still mowing and the last cut will be on Tuesday but I have cleanups, ect. until January.
Well we already had 1 plowing snowfall this year which caught every one with their pants down except me and a few others. I need to take my trailer and the equipment to a storage building by the end of November or I loose out on the space that I want. And I don't leave my customer's lawns in bad shape for the winter so snow mold is not a factor. They more or less wanted us to "cut" the lawn and bagging it to suck up leaves which is fine but these 2 customer's didn't like to pay for any extra with bagging leaves so I really don't feel like pulling all of my stuff back out for them. Our climates are somewhat different as well, my parents lived in Cincy and we went to visit them a few times in Dec. and Feb. and it was in the 50's and 60's and up here in NWPA-snow and in the 20's, so yeah your gonna be mowing later than us.

Gatewayuser
11-26-2006, 04:29 PM
Well we already had 1 plowing snowfall this year which caught every one with their pants down except me and a few others. I need to take my trailer and the equipment to a storage building by the end of November or I loose out on the space that I want. And I don't leave my customer's lawns in bad shape for the winter so snow mold is not a factor. They more or less wanted us to "cut" the lawn and bagging it to suck up leaves which is fine but these 2 customer's didn't like to pay for any extra with bagging leaves so I really don't feel like pulling all of my stuff back out for them. Our climates are somewhat different as well, my parents lived in Cincy and we went to visit them a few times in Dec. and Feb. and it was in the 50's and 60's and up here in NWPA-snow and in the 20's, so yeah your gonna be mowing later than us.

Ok so your customers are trying to rip you off by having you do a leaf cleanup for the cut price. You don't want those kinds of customer so who cares if they drop you. I didn't know that you were that far up in PA. I have been ready for snow since the beginning of Oct. you never can be too safe.
Good luck this winter and I wish you lots of snow!

topsites
11-26-2006, 04:35 PM
Yes, I would be leery of anyone calling me out of the blue (non-regular) for the simple reason that this is leaf season...
Which is to say I'm familiar with the 'hey I need my grass cut' and when I get there to give the estimate, there exists a leaf cover so thick I can't hardly see turf (but really, any leaf cover at all, it best be clean). Cute trick, but...

As for the regulars...
It's a little bit like summer (Jul-Aug)... Thou the lesser quality lawns fell out around Oct- Nov, the higher quality turf can and does grow up until Xmas (thou you're just as well leaving some for spring, your call).

But unless I'm hauling, at least the Wb comes with, just for good measure.

More often than not, thou the grass is hardly growing, I'm not real big with getting every last leaf with the blower, so it doesn't hurt to run the mower over the turf to spiffy up the leaf cleanup...

And for the fertilized stuff, I just cut mine today, thou it's been close to a month... I did throw down around 1,500 pounds of lime / fert / seed around late October, and like I said, it doesn't hardly grow, but still...
Now I can likely leave it alone until spring, thou I might throw down more fert here in a week or two, dunno...

You do gotta watch it, the soil is moist and soggy, tire slippage is common.