PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to RainBird irrigation camp?

Bigred350
11-26-2006, 10:38 AM
Next Monday Rain Bird is doing their irrigation training camp in Tunica,MS. I will be there on monday and tuesday. I was just seeing if anyone else is going?

Mjtrole
11-26-2006, 06:41 PM
Next Monday Rain Bird is doing their irrigation training camp in Tunica,MS. I will be there on monday and tuesday. I was just seeing if anyone else is going?

Just curious and too lazy to look it up but what is the purpose of the camp?

Ground Master
11-27-2006, 10:15 AM
overpriced training

Wet_Boots
11-27-2006, 10:37 AM
You want to attend. Drink the Rainbird koolaid...:eek:

Bigred350
11-27-2006, 10:35 PM
They offer sevral different types of classes all week long. Then they off a certification test to take to be certified.

Yes it is exspensive and I may know everything they are teaching but it may be one of those things where its good to go to just to say you have been.

hoskm01
11-27-2006, 10:44 PM
I would be interested to hear what it teaches, after you go, unless anyone else has been and can share? Doesnt sound like much of a review thus far.

PurpHaze
11-28-2006, 09:49 AM
Yes it is exspensive and I may know everything they are teaching but it may be one of those things where its good to go to just to say you have been.

Go with an open mind. At seminars I always learn something new or are refreshed on some things I've stored away in the back of my mind.

jirrigation
11-28-2006, 08:25 PM
I went to the Rain Bird Academy in Las Vegas last December. Rain Bird points paid for the courses so all I had to pay for was the plane ticket and hotel room for the week. Most of the stuff I already knew, however the main reason I went was to get CIC certified which I was succesful at. Almost all of the courses were product specific. Two months after the Rain Bird Academy, I went down to Roanoke, Virginia, for Toro's Academy. The courses offered there were focused more on the business side of irrigation..ie. employee's, estimating, business practices. It was a mind opening experience to say the least. If anyone goes to one or the other I would 100% recommend the Toro Academy. Owners ---> Toro Academy. Employee's ----> Rain Bird Academy.

I can't say for certain if it was the Toro classes which helped in our success this year, or it was years of hard work finally paying off, but this season we had a substantial increase in profit over last year, and I beleive it was mainly because of what me and my brother learnt at Toro University.

hoskm01
11-29-2006, 02:31 AM
thanks jirrigation, ill look into the TORO class.

Bigred350
11-29-2006, 07:57 PM
Rain Bird offers many differnent types of classes. Probably just the same as toro.

jirrigation
12-03-2006, 01:39 PM
The differences between the two seminars were night and day. The Rain Bird seminar in Vegas is their biggest one every year. The classes were strictly Irrigation related. It would be ideal if you are just starting out and want a quick, intensive crash course on installation techniques, design, etc... The good thing about the Rain Bird academy in Vegas is that it is offered every year.

The Toro academy, if I remember correctly is only offered every four years. I didn't pay much attention to what kind of courses they offered on installation techniques, design, etc. that were offered since I mainly took business courses, which I mentioned earlier were amazing. They also offered courses on different fields which could go hand in hand with irrigation. Three courses that I remember off the top of my head which I took were Drainage, Landscape Lighting, and Holiday Lighting. They had many booths set up in the main meeting area with different vendors set up, all showcasing their new products. Hadco, Nightscape, Lasco to name a few. The owner of Village Lighting Company was there, he actually was the instructor in the Holiday Lighting course. They had vendors for drainage products, fertigation.... Almost anything we as irrigation contractors use on a daily basis. The Rain Bird academy on the other hand was strictly Rain Bird products... If it wasn't made by Rain Bird, it wasn't there. I probably sound like a Toro fanboi, but in fact I switched from Toro to Rain Bird just over 5 years ago, a year or two after the Flo-Pro disaster.

Only reason I'm taking the time to point out the differences between the two Academys is because I wish I had known all of this before I went to both of them last year.

cpel2004
07-09-2007, 11:31 PM
I just recieved a brochure about the rainbird training academy. I wanted to get some feedback on the courses. At this point my company only does mowing but I would like to have some basic knowledge of irrigation. What should I expect from these courses? I do realize in one week I cant learn every thing about irrigation but I'm thinking this would be a great start to build on the basics. What do you guys think?

BPC
07-10-2007, 10:14 AM
I took the CIC the last year in Orlando. I learned a few things and being able to use the CIC logo has helped in the long run. At last count there were only around 30 CIC's in Florida and being one of them gives me a step up on the competition.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-10-2007, 01:01 PM
I just recieved a brochure about the rainbird training academy. I wanted to get some feedback on the courses. At this point my company only does mowing but I would like to have some basic knowledge of irrigation. What should I expect from these courses? I do realize in one week I cant learn every thing about irrigation but I'm thinking this would be a great start to build on the basics. What do you guys think?

Absolutely. Even if it will be all RB the knowledge will transfer across product lines. Furthermore the knowledge will help you in dealing with irrigation subs and not getting blindsided by customers. I would jump on an opportunity like this if it is convenient travel wise.

cpel2004
07-11-2007, 12:18 AM
Thanks for your feedback Fimco-Meister, I appreciate it. I wish this industry had more training programs like this one. I'm excited, any opportunity to learn is a opportunity to earn.

Kiril
07-11-2007, 10:32 AM
Check your local University Extension services.

Keen
07-11-2007, 01:06 PM
Looks like BigRed350 is right....

"Rain Bird offers many differnent types of classes. Probably just the same as toro."

A quick trip to the Rain Bird site and I found this pdf: http://rainbird.com/pdf/turf/RainBirdAcademyMasterSchedule-2006-2007.pdf

Looks like they have classes in many areas including Biz, estimating, selling, etc. as well as the introductory classes and advanced classes (site control, decoders, etc)