PDA

View Full Version : My small time leaf removal set up

grass_cuttin_fool
11-26-2006, 02:04 PM
Here are a few pictures of my set up. Most every where here you can just put the leaves back in the woods. I had a call last week that the customer wanted them GONE, didnt want to see them again.

wayne

grass_cuttin_fool
11-26-2006, 02:06 PM
I would gather up the leaves with my cyclone rake and then dump them out, after 2-3 loads I would switch hoses and load the dump trailer

wayne

grass_cuttin_fool
11-26-2006, 02:09 PM
This was a day after we recieved about 2 inches of rain. I had to prop the hose up on the tiger cub. If I didnt , sometimes the leaves would clog some and the 7.5 briggs didnt have enough to push the load straight up 6 feet into the trailer

grass_cuttin_fool
11-26-2006, 02:12 PM
I had to make 2 trips, 1 with the equipment trailer and 1 with the dump trailer. Alltogether I had to make 5 trips, 4 to shuttle trailers from home to the property and back and 1 time to dump the trailer

wayne

grass_cuttin_fool
11-26-2006, 02:15 PM
The dump trailer handled 6 full loads of leaves from the cyclone rake. The dump trailer is a 6x10 with 2 foot extra height sides on it. They need to be 3-4 feet. My old chevy had no problem handleing the load, they were lighter than I thought hey would of been

wayne

grass_cuttin_fool
11-26-2006, 02:18 PM
One more of the rig. I never have owned any other loader, but the 7.5 briggs done a good job I thought. I would like to have a dedicated loader for the dump though. It would speed things up alot and take alot of wear of the cyclone rake also

wayne

grass disaster
11-26-2006, 02:29 PM
that looks like a lot of work and maintenance on that machine for only a few accounts.

LawnScapers of Dayton
11-26-2006, 02:56 PM
I appreciate your ongoing news of how the CR is working. I am considering one for next season.....

I was thinking about a similar set up but possibly with a dedicated pipe for loading the trailer....6" PVC maybe.....

Keep it coming....

seacoastlandscape
11-26-2006, 02:57 PM
sure it isnt faster to just tarp them into the trailer especially when its wet.

grass_cuttin_fool
11-26-2006, 03:20 PM
that looks like a lot of work and maintenance on that machine for only a few accounts.

So far and hopefully this is the only account that I have to remove the leaves from. Most everyone will let me put them in the woods or in town they have pickup service and I can dump them in the edge of the street

wayne

grass_cuttin_fool
11-26-2006, 03:24 PM
I appreciate your ongoing news of how the CR is working. I am considering one for next season.....

I was thinking about a similar set up but possibly with a dedicated pipe for loading the trailer....6" PVC maybe.....

Keep it coming....

I want to do something like that also, I got this call and figured it was a joke, I gave him my price and he took it, no questions asked and had cash, so I got on it fast while the weather is/was nice. Also I have the hinges to make the plywood across the back open with the tail gate. For now I just use 4 wood screws to hold it in place and take them out when I need to dump

wayne

grass_cuttin_fool
11-26-2006, 03:26 PM
sure it isnt faster to just tarp them into the trailer especially when its wet.

Nope it wouldnt be faster I dont think, I work solo and no help so this was alot easier for me. After I propped the hose up, it never clogged again and would take the leaves about as fast as I could feed them. The only time it would clog is if a wet hunk would cover the opening of the hose.

wayne

Jay Ray
11-26-2006, 03:36 PM
I realize the hoses are expensive beyond belief, but if it is possible to shorten them there will be less flow resistance. If you always have more reach than you need, you might consider it. Nice setup though.

grass_cuttin_fool
11-26-2006, 03:41 PM
[QUOTE=Jay Ray]I realize the hoses are expensive beyond belief, but if it is possible to shorten them there will be less flow resistance. If you always have more reach than you need, you might consider it. Nice setup though.[/QUOT

Yes the suction hose comes in two parts, the out going hose is 1 piece and I could shorten it and I very well may do it in the future, I can just dump near the rear of the trailer

wayne

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger
11-27-2006, 12:36 PM
Hey GrassCuttinFool.......nice pics, so how does the cyclone rake do in sucking up the leaves and blowing them into the large trailer, does that motor have enough power/suction to do a good job and not get stopped up?

Oxmow
11-27-2006, 11:43 PM
Hey GCF, where did you get the hose you use from the loader to the dump trailer? I use 6" like that on my 11 hp little wonder vac, but have worn it out.
AG here in tulsa wants about 10 bucks a foot for it.

grass_cuttin_fool
11-28-2006, 07:29 AM
Hey GrassCuttinFool.......nice pics, so how does the cyclone rake do in sucking up the leaves and blowing them into the large trailer, does that motor have enough power/suction to do a good job and not get stopped up?

I had a small problem, the leaves were wet and one time the hose stopped up (discharge side) going to the trailer. I had the hose laying on the ground and the engine had a little problem pushing them straight up 6 foot. I repositioned the hose across the mower with a slight increase in the grade to the trailer and never had anymore problems.

wayne

grass_cuttin_fool
11-28-2006, 07:33 AM
Hey GCF, where did you get the hose you use from the loader to the dump trailer? I use 6" like that on my 11 hp little wonder vac, but have worn it out.
AG here in tulsa wants about 10 bucks a foot for it.

I got it with the Cyclone Rake, they had different options and acc on there web site, here is the link, and the price seems to be about the same.

http://www.cyclonerake.com/unloader.htm

wayne

macaw
11-28-2006, 08:10 AM
I'm in the same boat just got a job that I have to haul the leaves off. So I setting up my set up I used a couple of years ago. It is a old truck cap on my old pickup (looks just like your truck) I will post some pictures in a few days.

GrassBustersLawn
11-28-2006, 11:28 PM
I bought a Cyclone Rake last season. I got the Commercial PRO model with the 7hp motor and holds 415 gallons (like 13 30 gallon trash cans worth). I LOVE IT. It REALLY grinds up DRY leaves. Grinds them to a dust and really PACKS them into the bag. WET leaves don't grind up as much. Also with WET leaves the boot from the mower to the CR tends to clog up. It takes 2 or 3 times longer to handle WET leaves. We used to use the corrugated containers that you could buy with the CR. But they don't hold up for long if used with WET leaves. This season I bought a 18HP Billy Goat leaf loader for my dump trailer. I back the CR up to the dump trailer and tilt the CR and dump a pile of leaves. After I've got 3 or 4 piles we'll fire up the loader and lift them to the dump trailer. This is all EASY when DRY. Much SLOWER when WET.

Next year I think I'll get the next smaller CR...it is 4 inches narrower and 7 inches shorter. THis way it will fit into narrower (44") gates. I pull it with my 44" Toro ZTR...so I will be able to get into some backyards that I can't get my PRO model into. It will hold almost half as much as the PRO, but is more versatile.

I have had a couple of problems with my CR. The BAG tore after 1 season...the zippers are not strong enough to hold HEAVY FULL LOADS. I called CR to talk to them about this and the sent me a FREE NEW BAG. Also, some other parts are not as DURABLE as they need to be for LCO's that use these every day for a month. However, I was able to order replacement parts at a reasonable charge and received them within 3 days (got to plan ahead for wear & tear!).

IMHO all the "extras" are not really necessary (15 foot vac hose, etc.). Just get the basic machine and you'll save $ and have increased productivity.

Mike

LawnScapers of Dayton
11-29-2006, 06:34 AM
Will they let me buy the 7hp vac system with the middle size unit if I pay for the pro unit (commercial)?????

D