PDA

View Full Version : w/b mower recommendation......

BAMARED
06-22-2001, 11:06 AM
I cut primarily 1/2 and 3/4 acre subdiv. type lawns and was wondering if you guys could recommend a "good" walk-behind mower that's reasonably priced. My little 106C YardMan with a 20" deck is just not doing the job as fast as I would like. The mower works great and in tight, obstacle-filled yards it will still be my mower of choice. However, I do feel like a wider decked mower will be the way to go.

I am just a small timer in this business but would like to grow my business from a p/t job into a f/t and feel like a mower upgrade is a step in the right direction.

Any mower recommendations would be highly appreciated.

Sincerely,

sparsons

scottb
06-22-2001, 11:13 AM
Go to the top of the page look for the search feature type in walkbehind and you will get theard after of post on this subject. But I will say get at least a 48" deck (my opinon is best all around size)as for brand I like Toro the T-bar steering is easy to learn safe to use and easy on the hands. But you should look at dealer support first will he be there for you price second. Demo several mowers before you buy just like dont buy with out test driving it.

KirbysLawn
06-22-2001, 11:54 AM
This same topic has been started 5 or 6 times this week. A search will bring a wealth of info, good luck!

davesgs75
06-22-2001, 03:03 PM
Sparsons

The guys are right, a search will find alot of info on this subject.
But I would recommend you go down to Hill's Lawnmower on Andrew Jackson off of Oakwood, Look at the Toro mid size with 44" SFS deck.
I just got one a few weeks a go there, got a good price. Also I would stay away from John Deere, I was in a wreck a month ago on Hwy 53. Took nearly a month to get a estimate, and parts so i could fix my mower. No problem with a John Deere mower it self but, bad service from Farmers Tractor service.

Maybe I will see you around town..

dhicks
06-22-2001, 08:19 PM
Yep go do a search and then go try a Hustler Hydro. The Hustler was one of my smartest investments todate.

lawnman_scott
06-23-2001, 10:53 PM
I would listen to davesgs, it sounds like hes in your area and knows the dealer. They are all good, but the dealer is the single most important thing, and not all toro dealers are good, same with scag, exmark... People sometimes think of the mower only and not the dealer, and he is giving you real life advise.

bassngrasser13
07-21-2001, 01:40 AM
Maybe a scag w/b with a 36 deck so you can fit through gates

brucec32
07-21-2001, 02:24 AM
I have to disagree about the Toro 44" model. Yes, the T bar steering is the best in belt drives. But the 44 inch deck tends to scalp and show mow lines more than a 36". The toro design has a long wheelbase, which means it can't react to rolling terrain as well. On cool season turf(fescue, K bluegrass) it may not matter as much, but Bermuda looks cruddy when mowed with this mower, especially on slopes. I owned Toro 44,36, and 37" mowers. The 36" was the best overall. The 37" recycler gave a good cut, but couldnt' handle tall grass well at all. Lots of clumping in discharge mode. On typical 1/4 acre lots, the extra size of the 44" deck won't save you enough time to be a big factor, but the cut quality may cost you some customers. The 36" is also cheaper, if that matters.

Craig Jones
07-21-2001, 07:16 AM
Bruce, we have had the same experience with our Toro in this type of grass. We only use the 36" Toro with the floating deck on Bermuda grass, especially on hills.

guntruck
07-21-2001, 09:10 AM
I agree with the 36" mower, and there are plenty reasonably priced quality mowers out there, just be patient and find a deal. We personally run a scag w/b and a toro w/b scag has an excellent cut.

Mowman
07-21-2001, 10:38 AM
If you are cutting lawns that are between 1/2 and 3/4 acre I would think about a smaller ZTR. If you want to GROW your business I would get the ZTR. You will be able to double your production and not be DOG *** TIRED at the end of the day. If you have a Walker dealer in your area check out their Walker SD Models in a 42" or 48" Side Discharge Model. They are have an out front deck and are COMPACT to get in and around tightly landscaped areas. I was also in your postion last season and was going to buy a WB, guy on Lawnsite talked me into the ZTR so I could grow my business into the machine. I bought a used Walker MT-54 SD w/ 20HP Kolher and have doubled my business and am not tired at the end of a day out. Just something to think about. I'm GLAD I bought the ZTR instead of the WB. as I can cut twice as much in a day compared to a WB. You can check out Walker Mowers at www.walkermowers.com
Good Luck,
Mowman

Bob_McNaughton
07-21-2001, 02:16 PM
Mowman is right, go with a smaller ZTR.

I got burned out of the business after only 2 years(when I was 17, over 13 years ago) by cutting all my jobs with a single 48" WB. Including the big jobs, and it was a chore, and I was dog tired.

Go rider and, double production speeds, and not be tired.

When I start up next year, im looking at starting with a 36" WB, and a 52 or 60 ZTR. (still debating on the ztr size).

I'm not taking any chances this time around, and want to be prepared for any jobs that might come up - without having to walk the yards when I cut em.