PDA

View Full Version : poly pipes

silvercvic
11-27-2006, 04:34 PM
I can't seem to find any poly pipe in my area that is strictly for irrigation except for 1/2", can I use the 1" clear poly/vinyl pipe rated for up to 200psi or does it need to be the black poly pipes?

Wet_Boots
11-27-2006, 04:58 PM
Don't be silly. If all the irrigation suppliers near you do not stock poly pipe, you will either have to use PVC, or look to a well-water supplier.

Dirty Water
11-27-2006, 05:14 PM
I started typing a reply, then remembered who this guy is, and changed my mind.

silvercvic
11-27-2006, 05:53 PM
I started typing a reply, then remembered who this guy is, and changed my mind.

Why's it got to be like that? What did I do to you? I am learning this process, I've researched whatever information I could find and I took to this forum hoping I could learn more. Just because my area doesn't have many companies selling supplies and I have a hard to getting stuff, doesn't mean you got to insult me. Whenever I do find a irrigation company around me, either they try to sell their business to me or they markup supplies because I'm a DIYer

Dirty Water
11-27-2006, 06:05 PM
I have a strong dislike for any DIY'er who doesn't take the time to learn to do it properly.

I've perceived from your earlier posts two things:

A. Your too cheap to hire a professional.
B. You don't' want to take the time to figure out how to do it properly. Hey, its just some pipe and some tee's right?

People who just hack things together make it worse for those of us that do it properly as a profession. There is a lot of hard work that goes into irrigation install, you wouldn't know, because you have asked 50 dumb questions and haven't started yet.

If you want an example of a DIY'er I respect, look at Ed G's posts.

zman9119
11-27-2006, 06:17 PM
Whenever I do find a irrigation company around me, either they try to sell their business to me or they markup supplies because I'm a DIYer

Of course they are going to mark-up the prices to a DIYer. Many of us (contractors) buy in large quanities and often! They know if they treat us well, they will get a better return in the end then a one-time DIYer.

John Deere Landscapes has branches all around your location listed in your profile.

.mz

Wet_Boots
11-27-2006, 06:36 PM
You can't expect to buy everything on the internet - just suck it up and pay retail, if you have to. (assuming you are going to actually do any installation anytime soon)

silvercvic
11-27-2006, 08:30 PM
I have a strong dislike for any DIY'er who doesn't take the time to learn to do it properly.

I've perceived from your earlier posts two things:

A. Your too cheap to hire a professional.
B. You don't' want to take the time to figure out how to do it properly. Hey, its just some pipe and some tee's right?

People who just hack things together make it worse for those of us that do it properly as a profession. There is a lot of hard work that goes into irrigation install, you wouldn't know, because you have asked 50 dumb questions and haven't started yet.

If you want an example of a DIY'er I respect, look at Ed G's posts.

Take the time to do things properly, you don't even know what I've done, as far as being cheap, there are some things that people like to learn. Its not like your company is gonna let someone come in and you're gonna teach them what you know. My only source of resource that I've got is the internet and the one book I've found and bought 'Scott's Sprinklers and Watering systems', I've read that book from cover to cover and back. Its got the diagrams and pics, but not every single thing is covered or even pictured. I've read it, and shopped for the things to buy, can you find a picture of a 1" poly pipe on the internet? I've got the big box stores around here and all they carry are the clear poly, that is why I asked the question. -or- Have you heard of a 'lock valve', none of the plumbing stores in my area does, Johndeere quoted me a $150 for a 1" brass and because I research and 'done my homework' on the net, I was able to locate one for $30. DId the book teach me that....no? Did anyone else...no. I only need this because my county requires it!

Is it stupid of me to ask what recommendation of controller brand? or RPZ? or sprinkler head brand? If I didn't do my homework or read my materials to learn, I wouldn't have known what my GPM or water pressure is, do you see me asking how to do that?
Do you see me asking how to cement PVC or how to dig a hole?

I know that irrigation is hard work, I wanted to learn it and try it on my own property, I appreciate the hard work that you guys do and this was one of the only place that can help with some personal irrigation problems. If you don't want to help, you didn't have to put that thread in, again it insults me.

As far as installation, I've got 3 of my zones up for my front yard and flower bed, passed county code, this last part is for my 3 zones in the back for my lawn and micro-irrigation. I wanted to use poly so I wouldn't have to dig up my backyard.

You think I'm a stupid DIYer, but I've learned what learned, I've got one of the greeniest lawns in my neighborhood and I get asked advice from my neighbors, you want to put my knowledge to the test, I may not know everything, but I'm persistant. Live and learn!:laugh:

Dirty Water
11-27-2006, 08:36 PM
You do realize you can plow PVC too right?

SilverCvic, your questions have generally come across as pretty clueless (including wanting to use Wirsbro underground), I'm sorry, but I don't have tons of patience when you could answer all your questions if you just searched and read.

Wet_Boots
11-27-2006, 08:41 PM
Hey, what can you expect from a state that thinks peanut soup is actually edible. :p

silvercvic
11-27-2006, 09:21 PM
You do realize you can plow PVC too right?

SilverCvic, your questions have generally come across as pretty clueless (including wanting to use Wirsbro underground), I'm sorry, but I don't have tons of patience when you could answer all your questions if you just searched and read.

ummm...I think you got the wrong person, I never mentioned anything about wirsbo underground, do a search for that Wirsbo on this site, you won't see any of my post.

And as far as clueless, what question have I asked that is clueless??

Wet_Boots
11-27-2006, 11:36 PM
The original post might very well qualify for clueless. Only polyethylene tubing is used with insert fittings in a sprinkler system. Not clear vinyl tubing. And since when is poly pipe so expensive one would consider ludicrous alternatives? ;)

jirrigation
11-28-2006, 08:44 PM
The original post might very well qualify for clueless. Only polyethylene tubing is used with insert fittings in a sprinkler system. Not clear vinyl tubing. And since when is poly pipe so expensive one would consider ludicrous alternatives? ;)

His first post says that he cannot find any poly pipe bigger than 1/2".......
Here let me copy and paste it.

I can't seem to find any poly pipe in my area that is strictly for irrigation except for 1/2", can I use the 1" clear poly/vinyl pipe rated for up to 200psi or does it need to be the black poly pipes?

There are no stupid questions. The reason people ask questions is because they do not know the answer themselves, and last time I checked that is exactly what this forum is for.

On to the original question at hand, unfortunately I do not live in your area so I do not know what your area's codes require. If the clear poly pipe you're talking about is what they use for pool pumps, then it does indeed work with poly insert fittings.

Wet_Boots
11-29-2006, 12:09 AM
You're coming in late on this guy's inquiries, and may have missed other threads. Our would-be user of vinyl tubing seems to have some issues with the retail price for poly pipe. Retail customers who have trouble with the concept of paying retail prices are very much deserving of a big loud razzberry.

(but an answer to the original question was posted, so there)

silvercvic
12-01-2006, 12:38 PM
jirrigation, thanks for your response.

I was able to find the poly pipes in a HVAC equipment store.

As far as paying for retail price, who pays retail anymore? I am not cheap, but a smart shopper. Do you go into a car dealership and pay MSRP?

And if you did read my original post, I have a hard time finding it, not many stores in my area stock their shelves, and for them to have it shipped, it normally takes a couple of business days, which is always at least the next week.

Wet_Boots
12-01-2006, 12:55 PM
What the onlooking professional is still going to be wondering about, is where our thrifty DIY is getting the insert fittings that go with said poly pipe. One would expect a source of fittings to also have the pipe that they connect to. Just how much money was saved in this runaround, and how much driving (and fuel expenses) was involved?

Without A Drought
12-01-2006, 01:11 PM
I've been thinking about my ideal POS system, a Frankenstien of all the crap i've seen in the ground. Components are as follows:

Timer: Some 30 year old, Low V lighting timer rigged for irrigation (seen it)
Backflow: One of those BF/blowoff valves normally seen on a boiler (seen it)
Valves: 3/4" brass Imperial wrapped in plastic and buried (we've all seen this)
Manifold: Copper, normally used on heating systems (seen it)
Pipe: Garden hose, laid just underneath new sod (seen it on MTV)
Heads: Center-spaced, Toro streams (i never was a fan of them, although they look pretty)
Wire: CAT5 telephone wire

It always amazes me to see what people think is a good idea for irrigation.

pg

DanaMac
12-01-2006, 01:39 PM
I've been thinking about my ideal POS system, a Frankenstien of all the crap i've seen in the ground. Components are as follows:

Timer: Some 30 year old, Low V lighting timer rigged for irrigation (seen it)
Backflow: One of those BF/blowoff valves normally seen on a boiler (seen it)
Valves: 3/4" brass Imperial wrapped in plastic and buried (we've all seen this)
Manifold: Copper, normally used on heating systems (seen it)
Pipe: Garden hose, laid just underneath new sod (seen it on MTV)
Heads: Center-spaced, Toro streams (i never was a fan of them, although they look pretty)
Wire: CAT5 telephone wire

It always amazes me to see what people think is a good idea for irrigation.

pg
Yup, I think I have seen all of thet, including the garden hose for pipe. I've also seen 1/2" drip pipe used for all the lateral lines. One other used swing pipe throughout the entire lawn.

Wet_Boots
12-01-2006, 01:56 PM
I remember some systems of sprays, where the pipe was garden hose by design. The hose was a rubber type, and had a square cross-section. Clamped around it would be the sprays. No popup, and the water shot up nearer to vertical, from tiny holes drilled in the brass spray heads. Easy DIY installs in shallow (about a 3-inch stem connected the spray to the saddle-tee part of the heads) hand-dug trenches, and entirely non-replaceable by standard equipment, on account of the very-low consumption of the sprays. They watered the air more than the lawn, it seemed.

silvercvic
12-01-2006, 04:46 PM
What the onlooking professional is still going to be wondering about, is where our thrifty DIY is getting the insert fittings that go with said poly pipe. One would expect a source of fittings to also have the pipe that they connect to. Just how much money was saved in this runaround, and how much driving (and fuel expenses) was involved?

The place that sells the poly has the threaded barbs, along with the ss clamps, I have saved about $2700, since most everyone is charging about $3500 for 7 zones, and I use a telephone to call before I go + I am getting a wealth of knowledge. I believe that is what most DIY do it mainly for. Trial and error. Do you eat out every night? Do you not try to cook up something different with spices and ingredients? Or tried to even change the oil in your car just to familiarize yourself to your engine? Live it up, be adventurous, and learn something new, its not like saying to go out and do business after you have done one system/time. And if I can save a couple of bucks in my pocket, then I'm a lil richer....a penny saved is a penny earned.

I've done my research and I haven't gimped out on any parts I bought, I simple asked a question if it was OK to use a certain part, its not like I went out and bought the clear vinyl and put it on my system.

Wet_Boots
12-01-2006, 05:06 PM
I don't give a rat's ass on what was saved on the entire system. I'm just wondering about the poly pipe. I can envision the DIY guy checking prices from here to Cucamonga, and spending local suppliers' time without their getting any sale, because he then ordered supplies on the internet. But poly pipe might not be stocked at the local Home Dungeon, and pay a local irrigation supplier retail price for the stuff? - "Gasp!" - not happening.

(but I'll take back all the razzing, if we get an explanation for Peanut Soup)

Without A Drought
12-01-2006, 05:11 PM
when i was younger, my father thought we could save a buck replacing our HW heater ourselves. we went without water for two days and then he paid a plumber to do it.

SprinklerGuy
12-01-2006, 06:05 PM
HW heater?

If the water were already hot it wouldn't need a heater :P

It is a water heater....sorry...peeve of mine.

DanaMac
12-01-2006, 06:15 PM
It is a water heater....sorry...peeve of mine.
hey Tony - maybe that should be listed under the "weirdest things you do" thread in the off topic section. Along with my OCD issues!

SprinklerGuy
12-01-2006, 06:32 PM
I have OCD issues also..too bad one of them isn't keeping my paperwork in order :(

PurpHaze
12-01-2006, 10:32 PM
when i was younger, my father thought we could save a buck replacing our HW heater ourselves. we went without water for two days and then he paid a plumber to do it.

There's really not much to them. :)

Course my dad had a 150 run boarding kennel in the OC when I was growing up and all the sleeping quarters were heated by copper pipes running hot water through them via water heaters and circulating pumps. Learned real early about thermocouples, water heaters, soldering copper pipe and the like.:laugh:

PurpHaze
12-01-2006, 10:38 PM
... its not like I went out and bought the clear vinyl and put it on my system.

I actually thought it was a cool idea. Some like to watch sprinklers water the lawn. I think it's a proven OCD treatment. You could not only watch the sprinklers perform but could watch the water run through the piping. :walking:

Dirty Water
12-01-2006, 11:29 PM
I actually thought it was a cool idea. Some like to watch sprinklers water the lawn. I think it's a proven OCD treatment. You could not only watch the sprinklers perform but could watch the water run through the piping. :walking:

Not much to see unless there was air in the line.

PurpHaze
12-01-2006, 11:50 PM
Not much to see unless there was air in the line.

Nothing to see = peaceful observation.

Air = turbulence that might be too much for some. :laugh:

Without A Drought
12-02-2006, 12:05 AM
HW heater, water heater, yada yada yada, you get my point.

we all had to learn something at sometime. some just had the benefit of getting it taught to us. or we taught ourselves (sometimes on someone else's house, unknown to them)... i remember one of my first plumbing jobs. long story short, i forgot to flux one joint, tested the line, removed the bad joint, and re-soldered. unfortunatly, i dumped the water in the line right into the lady's central vac motor.

lesson learned.

those of us with experience can laugh at the newbies and DIY'ers, and have earned the right to get a little ticked at the crap they do that we have to fix, but the bottom line is we make money based on their F-ups, and a lot of money at that. you want to build a 7 zone system with clear tubing... fine, it'll cost you 5K to fix it and get your system into shape.

pg

Ed G
12-04-2006, 08:10 AM
how about we change the statement: "those of us with experience can laugh at the newbies and DIY'ers" to...

those of us with experience can laugh at SOME newbies and DIY'ers"

Some of us newbies and DIY'ers actually do better work than the so called "pro's" in some areas of the U.S.

I did.

PurpHaze
12-04-2006, 09:28 AM
how about we change the statement: "those of us with experience can laugh at the newbies and DIY'ers" to...

those of us with experience can laugh at SOME newbies and DIY'ers"

Some of us newbies and DIY'ers actually do better work than the so called "pro's" in some areas of the U.S.

I did.

I think the first statement is a lot easier for most to remember... and then just have the "Ed G Exclusionary Rule." :p

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-27-2007, 10:37 PM
go for the Nonnsf stuff...its a little more $$ but worth it

BSME
04-27-2007, 11:17 PM
Looks like Wetboots taught someone how to use the search function again...

CaptRotor: do you order your shovels online?