PDA

View Full Version : problems with 15hp kawasaki

luke125
11-27-2006, 06:31 PM
hey guys i've been having problems with my 15hp kawasaki it runs fine when idleing but it has problems when engaging the blades (it stalls out when cutting grass). there seems to be a power loss and i can't fix it. i've checked the spark plugs, put in a new air filter and fuel filter and it doesn't seem to help. it seems to me like its not getting enough gas so could it be the carb.

what do you guys think

o-so-n-so
11-27-2006, 07:06 PM
How did you check the plugs? could be the coil?..............Based on your comments...sounds like a dead cylinder. Bad plug or coil. To check: you need to start machine and pull off a plug wire. If the machine goes dead.....you pulled the wire off the good side. Once you find the bad side....switch the plugs. if still nothing...check the coil on that side.

John Gamba
11-27-2006, 07:10 PM
hey guys i've been having problems with my 15hp kawasaki it runs fine when idleing but it has problems when engaging the blades (it stalls out when cutting grass). there seems to be a power loss and i can't fix it. i've checked the spark plugs, put in a new air filter and fuel filter and it doesn't seem to help. it seems to me like its not getting enough gas so could it be the carb.

what do you guys think

Is it blowing any smoke

nobagger
11-27-2006, 07:35 PM
I had a similar problem with my Viking, when I engaged the blades it would loose power, like its starving for fuel like yours, It was the engage lever not in adjustment and it kept slowly slipping down and interfering with the power. I cant remember if it was just the engage lever that they adjusted or that plus a new belt.

z_clark
11-27-2006, 07:48 PM
+1 on the bad coil. With a hot summer, we had 2 go this year. A new one is about $50. To fix, it is as easy as taking off the air filter cover, unscrewing the 4 bolts on the top cover, and unscrewing the one bolt that holds the coil.

Our 15 Kawi ran so smooth on just the one cylinder, I was amazed. It just had no power when it came to turning blades and cutting grass. My guys actually cut on the one cylinder for half a day before calling me. Makes ya wonder, do I really need all of those 15 horses?!?!

Grn Mtn
11-27-2006, 09:06 PM
I had a similar problem with my Viking, when I engaged the blades it would loose power, like its starving for fuel like yours, It was the engage lever not in adjustment and it kept slowly slipping down and interfering with the power. I cant remember if it was just the engage lever that they adjusted or that plus a new belt.

you've reminded me that this happened to me also, I had forgot about it. My Toro WB would die if I hit a bump or ran into taller grass, just weird times, then it started to get worse. Sure enough it ended up being the deadmans switch. Once that was swapped out she's been running great.