PDA

View Full Version : no grass cutting?

1MajorTom
11-27-2006, 11:10 PM
if you are about done with your grass cutting season, are you looking for more work, or just glad to be able to sit on the couch??
this is what Matt did today....

dcondon
11-27-2006, 11:16 PM
I'm glad that Matt can get up there Jodi because no way could I. I'm enjoying some time off before snow season but driving my wife nuts.

dcgreenspro
11-27-2006, 11:49 PM
don't know yet..heading to Hawaii w/ wife for her work so we'll see when i get back.

BSDeality
11-27-2006, 11:58 PM
tommorrow is the last scheduled day of cleanups for me! I can't wait for the cleanups to be over. I've got a couple possible projects to do before snow, but nothing is finalized yet. I'm in no hurry or crunch to sign them. I'm ready for hibernation!

HOOLIE
11-28-2006, 01:55 AM
I've actually done some advertising for leaf jobs and have gotten quite a few calls and some good jobs out of it. I require a $25 downpayment...this keeps them honest and prevents them from finding someone else if I don't show up for a few days...

If I could go on a 3 month long vacation that would be one thing, but to just sit around basically doing nothing bores the hell out of me.

Roger
11-28-2006, 07:16 AM
I finished the "last" mowing yesterday, but then immediately started on a two-day trimming project at the same property. After finishing with that, I have another couple of trimming jobs that I hope I can finish before the end of the week. Wow, with 65 degree days, working in shirtsleeves, I'm hustling to get as much of this work done before the 35 degree days return.

With the warm days recently, plus a few more to come, I would not be surprised to need to mow a few more in a couple of weeks, weather permitting.

Explain the lift being used for the trimming project? Rental?

To complete the initial question -- not looking forward to the "end" at all. The long days of Winter are a dread, no sitting around on the couch for me.

RICHIE K
11-28-2006, 07:17 AM
Just finishing up a few more cleanups , 1 mulch jod pending and getting the trucks and blowers ready for snow. Also have a few ceramic tile jobs after the new year

grass_cuttin_fool
11-28-2006, 07:19 AM
WOW just looking at the picture makes me dizzy, this is my last full week of clean ups(unless the phone rings lol) Might have a couple days in dec to pick up a few scattered leaves

wayne

jeffex
11-28-2006, 07:26 AM
REAL AMERICAN GENIUS today we salute you "Mr Why is my lawn turning brown guy" this ones for you on that hot august , in the middle of a drought, day, you take the time to call me and ask me what I did to your lawn to make it turn brown. We salute your ultimate stupidity and inability to muster the energy to lift that heavy sprinkler to the center of your precious 1/4 acre estate and have the fortitude to turn the valve to the ON position !!!!! imagine this guys suprise when I told him about the wonders of H2O BRILLIANT!! but thats a different beer commercial

rodfather
11-28-2006, 07:28 AM
REAL AMERICAN GENIUS today we salute you "Mr Why is my lawn turning brown guy" this ones for you on that hot august , in the middle of a drought, day, you take the time to call me and ask me what I did to your lawn to make it turn brown. We salute your ultimate stupidity and inability to muster the energy to lift that heavy sprinkler to the center of your precious 1/4 acre estate and have the fortitude to turn the valve to the ON position !!!!!

LMAO...that was pretty funny.

macaw
11-28-2006, 08:19 AM
Still got 5 leaf jobs and some mulch to do. About 2 more weeks.Wife lost her job so I looking for all the work I can find.

ED'S LAWNCARE
11-28-2006, 11:21 AM
I'm only part time but I've secured enough clean ups on lots that people own to keep me busy thru Feb. All this thru word of mouth.

Beau Rivage
11-28-2006, 12:09 PM
REAL AMERICAN GENIUS today we salute you "Mr Why is my lawn turning brown guy" this ones for you on that hot august , in the middle of a drought, day, you take the time to call me and ask me what I did to your lawn to make it turn brown. We salute your ultimate stupidity and inability to muster the energy to lift that heavy sprinkler to the center of your precious 1/4 acre estate and have the fortitude to turn the valve to the ON position !!!!! imagine this guys suprise when I told him about the wonders of H2O BRILLIANT!! but thats a different beer commercial

That's great:laugh: ...I had a young couple exactly like that last summer and I've already taken on what I think may be another for next season. Makes you wonder...

thesargent
11-28-2006, 01:07 PM
looks fun. just be careful. when i first started doing tree work i didnt wear (alot)safety gear either because i thought i didnt need it, but i got wiser. its always a good idea to wear a safety harness up in a lift or bucket truck. safety glasses, hard hat(thats a no brainer) ear protection, gloves. i know i sound like a jackass but i dont like to see or hear of people getting hurt/killed. and it happens easy in tree work. be safe have fun.

MattsMowing3535
11-28-2006, 05:50 PM
No mowing for 6 weeks so far. I didnt do to good on leaf cleanups either it got really cold and was preety much a drought until today! Im looking for all the work I can get becuse I am updateing everything! Its going to be a tight budget of a winter.

Daner
11-28-2006, 07:07 PM
I have been done the clean ups for some time now...putting my thoughts Into a more efficient operation for 2007. Also getting ready for snow:cool2: :waving: :drinkup: <------------A few of these and relax a bit While I can.

David Haggerty
11-28-2006, 08:47 PM
Havn't had a real mowing schedule since Sept. Been doing a lot of extra work this fall though. Broadleaf control, core aeration & fall fert., some pruning, and topdressing, and of course mulching leaves.
Had a really profitable Oct, and just started the paperwork for Nov.'s billing. Probably the best fall season ever.
I'm ready for a break now though. Going to take the camper to Florida again this year. Like last year I'll be riding my bicycle every day to combat the fat and stay in shape to do this all again next year.

DUSTYCEDAR
11-28-2006, 08:52 PM
i thought he was up there looking for the guy "mullet boy" that was trying to steel your customers????

cantoo
11-28-2006, 09:16 PM
We do things different up here in Canada Jodi. We wait until the leaves fall off the trees to gather them up. I never would have thought of going up and picking the leaves from the branches. Does this help you to get a jump on leaf season? We don't have that many customers that we have to do this. You must be a big company. Do you have trouble finding and keeping employees?

:canadaflag:

parkeeee
11-28-2006, 09:23 PM
All done with lawns. Now I can attack the 'at home list'.

Idealtim
11-28-2006, 09:43 PM
I'm still doing clean ups and probly still will be until just befor the snow starts flying. That little amount of dead time will be enough to finish the little projects for myself and to service all equipment.

MysticLandscape
11-28-2006, 09:48 PM
I finished all my clean-ups and lawns yesterday, but i picked up two more today mine as well keep going.

ozd12005
11-28-2006, 09:48 PM
finished the last of my fall cleaning's today, just in time tomorrow looks to be the last day we will see high temps for quite awhile and plan on winterizing my equipment and getting the snow throwers ready

fiveoboy01
11-28-2006, 10:01 PM
Well, I was done mowing in the 3rd week of october.

Did a few leave cleanups. I would have liked to have more, that's for sure.

Now gearing up for snow removal, and preparing for some HEAVY advertising and solicitation for next cutting season.

1MajorTom
11-30-2006, 10:24 PM
Explain the lift being used for the trimming project? Rental?

ya it's a rental, 100 bucks for 5 hours. the limbs were way too close to the house. this is a grass customer of ours, it's an old timer, real nice guy. he called 6 different tree companies, none even came out to give a bid even after they said they would. so matt said he would do it, but it would have to wait till the end of the season. took him one full day (8:30 to 5), then he went back the next day with a chipper and to clean up from 8:30 to 1:30. someone hauled all the wood away for him, matt gave it away, he was just happy he wouldn't have to deal with it... then he went back yesterday and did the final cut to clean the place up.

J&R Landscaping
12-01-2006, 12:03 AM
Still got a few clean-ups left to go. It was 74* today for the high. Its supposed to rain tommorow and then get cold for the weekend but I willl prolly be cutting again before the years out.

BTW Jodi, how high was he in the air? I rented a lift over the summer to do some tree work and got 65 feet in the air. I can't wait till I start doing tree work, Such an awsome and free feeling beeing up high!!!!!

mkwl
12-01-2006, 12:14 AM
Just finished all my clients final cleanups today...just have to do mine.

As for working in the winter...

SNOW PLOWING!!!payup :weightlifter: