PDA

View Full Version : Scag Turf Tiger Stripping Problem

mklawnman
06-22-2001, 06:38 PM
I have a Scag Turf Tiger with a 52inch Advantage Deck, we got it in april, and it has been cutting great until these past couple of weeks. The stripping pattern on some of the lawns looks like a three wheeler lawn mower cut the grass, or in other words a darker stripe down the middle of the cut. I have adjusted the four corner rolers to see if that would work but that hasn't helped. I've checked the pitch of the deck and i think its pitched the correct way. The weird thing though is that some yards it looks great, the stripe looks like a ZTR had cut the yard, others it looks like a three wheeler had cut it.
SO any help or advice would be greatly apriciated.

(Lawn Man) from Wisconsin

KirbysLawn
06-22-2001, 07:17 PM
How often do you sharpen the blades?

mklawnman
06-22-2001, 08:38 PM
We cut our blades back when it had 57hrs on it, now the hours on the machine are at 98, so i figure, we will sharpen the blades soon. Is 50hrs too long on blades? The cutting seems fine, or do you think the blade is starting to tear at the grass instead of cutting it??
Lawn Man

cclllc
06-22-2001, 08:47 PM
We sharpen every week and try not to go no more than 2 weeks.

Eric ELM
06-22-2001, 08:48 PM
I put sharp blades on every day. You won't believe the difference in the cut. This is your problem. A dull blade will shorten the grass, but it is beating it to death, not cutting it when they have that many hours on them. They are to dull for me after about 6 hours of cutting. You should of sharpened them about 20 times by now, so you are way over due.

Shame on you John going 2 weeks. :(

Jerrys Lawn Service
06-23-2001, 12:02 AM
mklawnman, you should be sharpening those blades at least every 8 hours!
I think that will solve your problems. Try running doubles they work great on the Advantage decks.
Good Luck!
jerryslawnservice@home.com

TLS
06-23-2001, 12:10 AM
I sharpen every 10-15hrs. This is the major problem with your bad cut. Also, check your tire pressures. Get a good 0-15 PSI tire guage. Tire pressuse can cause 1/4" either way without "looking" flat or overinflated. With the 3 stripes you are complaining about, you may have TOO much front pitch and you are actually seeing the ark of the blades diameter digging in too much at the fronts OR the backs. Kinda tough to explain on the puter. There are many adjustments you can make to properly level a deck, but none of them will work unless your blades are sharp. The longest I have gone is 25hrs between blade changes. If you dont hit any rocks or sticks and dont mow any driveways, they stay relatively sharp just cutting grass!

GreenQuest Lawn
06-23-2001, 02:15 AM
yes I agree, I change blades daily as well. Last year it was every other day, I am much happier this year.

mklawnman
06-23-2001, 02:47 AM
I plan on sharpening the blades this weekend. Also i have done many adjustments to the pitch by turning the spring rods for the deck adjustment, i have been reading the scag manual, and i have checked tire pressures, and they r just fine, just like the book says. Im hoping its just dull blades. I'll remember next time to sharpen the blades sooner, this is my first ZTR so im kinda new at it, though when the deck is perfect, i make straght as an arrow cut and stripes. Love the machine, just need to sharpen the blades and hope it works.
Thanks to everyone for the help and advice

Lawn Man

Quail Creek LC
06-23-2001, 03:05 AM
I sharpen every day also. You'll have much better results, and it really dont take that much time to swap out a set of blades.

KirbysLawn
06-23-2001, 03:24 AM
I got it right! :blob3: I got it right! :blob3: I sharpen mine 8-10 hours.

PrimeGreen Lawn
06-23-2001, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by KirbysLawn
I got it right! :blob3: I got it right! :blob3: I sharpen mine 8-10 hours.

You're to much man!!!

Scott

awm
06-23-2001, 08:23 AM
I FOUND A LOT OF IMPROVEMENT IN STRIPE WITH 2 HIGH LIFTS OR STANDARD AN HIGH LIFT.THEY GOT TO BE SHARP.LATER

Eric ELM
06-23-2001, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by mklawnman
I plan on sharpening the blades this weekend. Im hoping its just dull blades. I'll remember next time to sharpen the blades sooner.
Lawn Man

After 50 hours, I would say your 'hopes' are right. Get at least 2 sets of blades and before going to work, put on a sharp set each day. You won't believe the difference.

Did you sharpen the blades before you started mowing when you got it new? New blades are NOT sharp when you get them. Also Balance them, since they are not balanced either.

mklawnman
06-23-2001, 10:56 AM
When we got the machine we didn't sharpen the blades, since im kind of a rookie at buying a brand new machine, we thought they were sharp, though i did feel them and the blades were very dull at the time but it seemed that they cut fine. But i will consider buying another set of blades, and i will definatly sharpen the blades often. Hope thats my striping problem, cause ive tried almost everything on that deck adjustment to get the pitch right and the rollers right. I was wondering do the rollers on the deck, do they need to be touching the grass?? These are not the four corner ones, they are the anti-scalp ones. I cut at 3inches, and i notice the front anti-scalp roller always touch the grass, but the back ones barely touch.
Lawn Man

Eric ELM
06-23-2001, 11:15 AM
As long as you are not scalping, the rollers should be fine the way they are. Most deck pitches should be set at around 1/4" lower in the front than the back for the best cut.

If the blade is sharp enough to shave with, then it is sharp enough to cut grass with. The sharper you keep the blades, the greener the lawn will look. I know a company that must sharpen there blades twice a season. We have had lots of rain and they cut right next to one of the lawns we do. You can see the exact lot line, ours is green and theirs is brown. The grass is shreaded on the ends and I have noticed some blades don't even get cut, just wounded badly and some blades of grass are just hanging by a small strand to the main blade of grass. It's a shame they are allowed to do this to lawns, but they work cheap and get some lawns to mow.

Evan528
06-23-2001, 01:16 PM
Once a day is definitly the way to go! Unfortunatly I have gotten so buissy this year that I cant sharpen them but every 2 days if im lucky and I notice a big diffrence the second day. Its still sharp enough to slice the blade instead of shread it but I find that I have to slow down considerably in thick grass to get a nice cut.

mklawnman
06-23-2001, 03:54 PM
Well i will let everyone know how the machine cuts in a few days, cause this afternoon i'm taking the blades off and getting them sharpened. Off tommorow, mow again on monday so hopefully ill be cutting like u do Eric, crisp stripes, with no third wheel apearance.
Maybe i'll get some lawn pic's scanned in sometime.
Thanks,
Matt