PDA

View Full Version : Hustler Engine Problems

citysexton
11-28-2006, 08:39 AM
:confused: I have a Super Z 60" 25h Kawasaki engine. It starts fine and idles fine but when i try to move our start the blades the engine begings to putter and sputter. It wont get up to full speed. It sounds like there is to much load on it or that it is being choked out any suggestions.:confused:

mowerconsultant
11-29-2006, 10:26 AM
I would first check the basic's....
Replace the air filter and fuel filter and spark plugs and make sure you have good (no water) fuel.
If all of that is good, I would make sure the carburetor is clean, no plugged jet's etc....
How old is the mower?

Pj

citysexton
11-29-2006, 10:33 AM
Air filter is good. Gas is good. I let it run for 3 hours yesterday and still had the same problem. I am replacing the fuel filter today. if that doesnt do it then i will move to the carb. Its wierd it just came out of the blue.

Thanks for the concern, i'll let you know what the outcome is.

Oh yeah, Dont let the cry babies get you down about Hustler being cheap. Its the best mower out there:cool2:

mowerconsultant
11-29-2006, 10:38 AM
Get that fuel filter replaced.
If the air filter hasn't been replaced recently I would do that also, this time of the year, the finer particles (from leaf dust) will plug a air filter up in a hurry.
Do this and let me know what happens.
Have you talked to your dealer about the problem?

Pj

Mowingman
11-29-2006, 11:47 AM
Check for a bad coil. If one coil is cutting out, the engine will act just like you are describing. Kawasaki engines are notorious for having coils go bad, even on low hour machines. We keep a whole bin full of Kawi. coils on hand.

gps_jetskier
11-29-2006, 12:43 PM
Sounds like the carb to me. Low speed is clean, but the high speed has something floating around in it. Or the screw has backed out on it and the transition is all wrong now.

citysexton
11-29-2006, 01:29 PM
Yeah i talked to him but i like you better

citysexton
11-29-2006, 03:21 PM
I guess i should change what i said. At full throttle while its sitting still it runs fine it is when i try to move or turn on the blades. I misspoke when i said at Idle.

mowerconsultant
11-29-2006, 05:10 PM
Yeah i talked to him but i like you better
That's funny....
Your dealer can help you I am sure, all I can do is type suggestions for you...lol...lol...

JAF
11-29-2006, 05:31 PM
Just pull one plug wire and see if it runs if it dies you found the weak coil. If not install the wire you unpluged in step one and repeat on the other plug. This should tell your if it electrical I had this happen several times. Kawies run so smooth one would not believe it is missing.

citysexton
11-30-2006, 04:47 PM
Hey JFD how far are you from Fulton, MO Clinton,MO?

Accu-cut Lawn Care
12-01-2006, 10:39 AM
Have you checked your plugs? Also, I had similar problems with my 23 kawi when I tried to use high octane gas...Plus, don't rule out the possibility of it needing a valve job.

citysexton
12-01-2006, 11:39 AM
Well it wasnt the fuel filter :dizzy:
On to the spark plugs

cbelawn
12-03-2006, 09:11 PM
as i had a wile back, It was a bad sparkplug

citysexton
12-04-2006, 11:35 AM
Just pull one plug wire and see if it runs if it dies you found the weak coil. If not install the wire you unpluged in step one and repeat on the other plug. This should tell your if it electrical I had this happen several times. Kawies run so smooth one would not believe it is missing.

Thanks so much for the advice. That was basically the problem. One of the spark plugs was fouled. It still had a spark but i guess to weak. You saved a lot of time and money for me. Kinda feel dumb now;)
:clapping::dancing: :clapping: :dancing: :clapping: :dancing: :clapping::dancing: :clapping: :dancing: :clapping: :dancing: :clapping: :dancing: :clapping: :dancing: :clapping: :dancing: :clapping: :dancing: :clapping::dancing: :clapping::dancing: :clapping::dancing: :clapping::dancing: :clapping: :dancing::clapping: :dancing: :clapping: :dancing: :clapping: :dancing:

citysexton
12-04-2006, 11:36 AM
as i had a wile back, It was a bad sparkplug

Thanks thats what it was.

mowerconsultant
12-05-2006, 07:31 AM
Good to hear.
Have you had the heads off and de-carboned?

citysexton
12-05-2006, 08:12 AM
No I havent. Never heard of doin that. Can you give me some instructions?

cbelawn
12-05-2006, 09:21 PM
Something that needs to be done? 375 hours on the machine.

mowerconsultant
12-05-2006, 09:48 PM
No I haven't. Never heard of doing that. Can you give me some instructions?

It needs to be done periodically.
You have to disassemble the top end of your engine, its not something that is very easy to do if you are not familiar with doing it, it is rather detailed and not easy to describe.

Pj

mowerconsultant
12-05-2006, 09:53 PM
Something that needs to be done? 375 hours on the machine.

I believe Kawasaki's recommended interval for de-carboning the heads is 350 hours, I am not 100% certain, I will have to double check tomorrow.

Pj

blackandgold
12-05-2006, 10:52 PM
That JFD is pretty good :)

citysexton,
St Gen is 50 miles south of St Louis

Fulton and Clinton are 4-5 hours West, or about an hour from KC