PDA

View Full Version : Cemetery Managers

citysexton
11-28-2006, 08:49 AM
I am a Sexton for 5 cemeteries in Akron, Ohio area. I was looking to find other cemetery managers to be able to throw ideas at and see what other folks are doing. Or even commercial folks that are mowing cemeteries on bids.

Husqman
11-28-2006, 02:49 PM
I am the sexton of a cemetery in north central Oklahoma. It is a small cemetery 15-20 acres and just a part time job for me, though sometimes it feels like a full time job being the only person.

dwlah
11-28-2006, 03:09 PM
but what is a sexton?
Never mind your the manager

JRSlawn
11-28-2006, 03:09 PM
Are you looking for people to mow them? I take care of 2 in akron canton area. What are the cemetaries you have. Tell me more and maybe I can help. Or call me 330-819-3621

Jeff Smith
JRS Lawn & Landscape

citysexton
11-28-2006, 03:17 PM
Sexton is kind of an old term which refers to the caretaker of a church or cemetery whose duties are to dig the graves and ring the bells. I dont have any bells to ring except for the ones in my employees empty heads:hammerhead: .
No i'm not looking for any one to mow them we do that in house.
Just wanted to know if anyone else on lawn site had the same responsibilities and thought we could network. You dont find to many people that you say "Hey what do you do?" and they say "i dig graves for a living":)

citysexton
11-28-2006, 03:18 PM
How many burials a year do you do Husqman

LindblomRJ
11-28-2006, 05:38 PM
Well I deal with a few sextons around here. I set grave stones. Have for about the last 5 years.

robbo521
11-28-2006, 06:17 PM
been doing it all for 5yrs.about 5 acres.

dwlah
11-28-2006, 08:57 PM
Where is my wife?
She says Im just rotting my brain on this thing
Ive learned what a sexton is

The cemetary I mow contracts out the mowing
The families are responsible for opening/closing the graves
There is a list of 3-4 guys that do that around here
Only one guy for the old section(has to be done by pick and shovel cant get a backhoe up there)

robbo521
11-28-2006, 09:44 PM
well we call the county shop to dig ours,and most of the time the funeral home will close it.they just asked me to price it and they said they wanted me to do it for now on.we have two very old sections with black fence that we push mower.they get the grass killer for around all the fence and the head stones.if we need something i get a check or if it is a big buy i call the other board members and we vote on it.the other 3 members are over 60 so they just leave it to me.

Husqman
11-29-2006, 02:29 PM
Citysexton I average between 50 and 75 a year. I have been doing it part time for about 3 years. It can be pretty tough work in the winter and before memorial day weekend. I dig the graves set the tents and lowering devices and just about everything else. The one thing I don't do is set the lowering device for vaults.

citysexton
11-29-2006, 02:43 PM
Where is your cemetery?

robbo521
11-29-2006, 03:13 PM
its in North Alabama,Limestone county.

Scox1235
11-29-2006, 05:04 PM
I have worked for a cemetery for the last 5 summers, everything from irrigation repair to mowing to setting devices and even dis-interments.. its all apart of the job, the cemetery is over 300 acres and is one of the biggest around where i live.

Beau Rivage
11-29-2006, 07:24 PM
You dont find to many people that you say "Hey what do you do?" and they say "i dig graves for a living":)

This reminds me of when I went through basic training at Ft. Sill. We were all rock privates and when it came time to dig foxholes I had to be the luckiest guy in the unit. I teamed up with a grave digger from some tiny Tennessee town. We started digging with those crappy little entrenching tools. I turned around after just a few minutes and he was finished with his side already...He was like...man, just hop out and let me finish.:laugh: :hammerhead: :laugh:

robbo521
11-29-2006, 10:38 PM
hey citysexton,are you close to Cuyahoga Falls?had some folks that lived on Corners Rd,before they had to move down here.

gravedigger5
11-29-2006, 11:24 PM
You don't find to many people that you say "Hey what do you do?" and they say "i dig graves for a living":)

Hey, I resemble that comment! :usflag: Only dig 15 to 20 a year at a small country cemetery and have literally been involved with doing that all of my life. Cemetery is only about 15 acres with only about 7 of that being mowed. Luckily they have somebody else mow it because they don't pay nearly enough.

The idea of networking with other "sexton's" is a good idea. I am always checking posts that mention "cemetery" cause I know some day I am going to get stuck mowing this one sooner or later. I already have ideas on ways to do a job like that and would be great to talk to others that have already been down that road.

citysexton
11-30-2006, 08:17 AM
hey citysexton,are you close to Cuyahoga Falls?had some folks that lived on Corners Rd,before they had to move down here.

My Cemetery is in Hudson which is just two towns over from Cuyahoga Falls. But i actually live in the falls and i know right where corners rd. is

citysexton
11-30-2006, 08:18 AM
I have worked for a cemetery for the last 5 summers, everything from irrigation repair to mowing to setting devices and even dis-interments.. its all apart of the job, the cemetery is over 300 acres and is one of the biggest around where i live.

Whats the name of it?

citysexton
11-30-2006, 08:24 AM
Hey, I resemble that comment! :usflag: Only dig 15 to 20 a year at a small country cemetery and have literally been involved with doing that all of my life. Cemetery is only about 15 acres with only about 7 of that being mowed. Luckily they have somebody else mow it because they don't pay nearly enough.

The idea of networking with other "sexton's" is a good idea. I am always checking posts that mention "cemetery" cause I know some day I am going to get stuck mowing this one sooner or later. I already have ideas on ways to do a job like that and would be great to talk to others that have already been down that road.

:waving: Good its great to find other people who have the same job as i do that arent hunchbacks or one eyed degenerates;) . That's the look you get when you say you work in a cemetery:confused: . I think they are assuming that i should be wearing the same clothes that the Undertaker wears in the WWE. Oh Yeah, no offence to hunchbacks or one eyed degenerates :laugh:

robbo521
11-30-2006, 09:01 AM
cool,my aunt and uncle lived on that road.Jim Jarvis,he drove a block or brick truck.

Scox1235
12-02-2006, 08:49 AM
Resurrection, located in Mendota Heights MN, there are four other cemeteries that are run by the Archdiocese in the Minneapolis, St. Paul area.