PDA

View Full Version : Biweekly cuts that should be weekly...

Bassman
06-22-2001, 08:07 PM
Rain is falling, grass is growing and I have a small number of seasonal accounts who aren't getting with the program for weekly cuts. They expect a cut every two weeks at the same price I was giving them last summer on a weekly basis. Guess you can't blame them for trying to save some dough but I'm telling them "that dog won't hunt".

I'm way too busy to overlook the extra time involved to double cut or have to slow cut then line trim overgrown grass and look the other way as far as price goes. I may lose some of these folks...so be it.

Anyone else see this from any of their accounts from last summer starting up maint. again?

Toroguy
06-22-2001, 08:15 PM
After finding out how counter productive the bi-weekly cuts were, from my Lawnsite advisors, I had to turn them into weeklys at the start of season. One of the best bits of advice I have received.

It is alot extra. If you need the cash keep 'em til next year. Otherwise give them the option...

kutnkru
06-22-2001, 08:37 PM
I have come to the conclusion that the only way to have successful Bi-Weekly Mowing Accounts is to have two routes that you are rotateing. If you are referring to those who just wish to be skipped then charge them the same way mentioned hereafter.

As far as the priceing of these properties is concerned, I would charge them according to your gross hourly rate. If you gross say $40/hr and they take an average of 45 minutes to cut and trim a 30 minute lawn due to the extended growth intervals, then I would charge them $30 instead of the $20.

If they give you flack or refuse to pay the increase, offer them some names who can better meet their demands so they are not left without service completely. Otherwise you are going to be working for damn near free or alot less than you had expected sinking your profit levels.

Good Luck in whatever you decide.
Kris

SJR Lawncare
06-22-2001, 08:47 PM
Starting next year, my customers are going to have 2 prices: 1 for weekly mowing, the 2nd price will be a higher price for bi-weekly mowing. Then they can choose how much of a cheapskate they want to be.

SJR

ronslawncare
06-22-2001, 08:49 PM
weekly or dont bother i took on two biweeklys this year im regreting them .there both elderly so i do them ,not regretting to work for older people but it messes up my schedule yea its only 2 accounts but when you have to go out of your it feels like alot more.this might not be the best way but i lost 7 accounts buy putting my foot down .i didnt want those accounts they only want there dirt cut anyways.i replaced them and i am almost 40 strong weekly im at 37 im pushing 50 for this yr......wish me luck...

Fantasy Lawns
06-22-2001, 08:51 PM
We just use the KISS system .....when mowing year round .....charging monthly .....same rate each month .....Mowing: (42-40 visits each year)

Growing Season: April through October: Mowing of all turf areas once a week, with a mulching mower in varying patterns to minimize rutting, removal of 1/3 blade height.

Dormant Season: November through March: Mowing of all turf areas once every other week or as needed to maintain a neat overall appearance.

Once ALL the customers are on this schedule .....cash flow gets better (long as their paying ....but that another subject)....cutting is not a question .....summer weekly ....winter bi .....:->

kutnkru
06-22-2001, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by ronslawncare
......wish me luck...
Couldnt resist - j/k, LOL!

Good Luck Ron!!!
Kris

Grapevine
06-22-2001, 09:05 PM
We won't do any biweeklys (if at all) until 1st or second week in july, depending on the weather. Don't really like to do any , but I have a soft spot for old people.

Jason Pallas
06-22-2001, 09:50 PM
Our policy on bi-weekly accounts : It's twice the price. So, the customer can choose - get it cut twice a month or four times a month it's all the same in the end (you'd have to be an idiot to opt for the Bi-weekly service with our policy). With 450 accounts we've only got two customers that opt for the Bi-weekly service. Simply put unless you charge double, they're not worth it - as they're taking up a spot on your schedule that could be filled by a weekly (higher grossing account). Good luck.

KirbysLawn
06-22-2001, 09:52 PM
I would call them former customers. ;) I don't accept bi-weekly customers.

lawnboy82
06-22-2001, 10:32 PM
i dont mind doing bi-weekly mowings. that is mostly though because i dont cut many yards any more. i work it so that there are an even number of cuttings every week. what bugs me is those lawns that get cut only once a week, and that need to be cut about every 3 days or so. i and some of my friends have these lawns. and i am not talking about just during the spring. i am talking about lawns that do this in the summer too. where they have to be double cut, and blown or bag the grass to look good. and i have worked at places where they will pay for 2x a week, and you still have to bag to get it lookin good, they grow so much.

KindGardener
06-22-2001, 11:16 PM
I worte a letter to some of my bi-weekly customers letting them know that now that "now that Spring is here their landscape is growing faster..." and that since considerable more time is required, they could either go to weekly, or accept a price increase. I didn't lose hardly any.

In my scheduling, I have "Bi-weekly A" and "Bi-Weekly B" accounts - that smooths things out.

If they want "twice a month", now THAT really screws things up... I dont have any more of those (they went bi-weekly or with someone else)

GreenQuest Lawn
06-23-2001, 01:10 AM
I have a few by-weekly cuts, BUT they get billed for my time spent. so they may not realize that they could probably get the same price being weekly.

bobbygedd
06-24-2001, 12:11 PM
once a week or not at all. HOWEVER, i still have my heart for a few elderly who cant afford weekly service, so this is what i do: if i should be getting 25 per cut once a week, but they r asking for every other week, i put my big heart in front of my peanut brain and cut them every week, for 12.50. this i do only for a couple of elderly who i know cant afford regular service, i consider it charity. but under normal circumstances we dont due this everyother week thing, or the every 10 day crap, its once a week or call someone else

awm
06-25-2001, 05:36 PM
my compliments bobby

Dillon
06-25-2001, 11:59 PM
I had a customer that wanted bi-weekly, I told her no problem but the price would go up $20 she said no problem. When I cut it 2 wks. ago I raised the height 1 inch, she called today and said go back to every wk. the lawn looked terrible after 2 wks. She didn't know that I raised height. It looked just as good when I cut it, but got out of shape alot faster.

scottb
06-26-2001, 01:28 PM
Most of mine are Biweelky and since Im just getting started I dont mind too much. But I do charge more because of the extra work involed.And they all accept this as how it's done as since they pay on time without complaining Im happy to take there money.