PDA

View Full Version : Leaves in pine straw?

FIRESCOOBY
11-28-2006, 02:31 PM
Gotta ask this, hope this isn't a stupid question.

Most of my accounts have pine straw beds, not many like mulch. For the life of me, I cannot get all the leaves out of the beds short of picking them out by hand. I generally "blow over" the straw to get the leaves out and this lessens the amount of straw blown out. Much more direct airflow it either flaps the straw up or blows it out entirely.

I've not had any complaints when some are left, but looking back at the yard as I'm leaving REALLY aggravates me that there are some leaves in the beds. Of course I have yet to see a yard around here that looks any better. Apparently...every LCO around here has the same problem.

Thanks in advance.

MDLawnman
11-28-2006, 04:53 PM
I know what you mean, it drives me a little nuts too. But I think that it is possible to be TO picky. I don't think that customers see what we see. If the yard looks nice they never see a few leaves. As long as you are doing your best don't worry about it!

jbell113
11-28-2006, 05:05 PM
There is no way to get them out without picking them and no one is going to do that. I just blow lightly over the top and get what I can....thats all you can do. As long as it looks better than it did...thats all that matters. If someone complains ..tell them its time for new straw.

dave k
11-28-2006, 05:31 PM
Yep, happens every fall, but all I do is what you do and move on, life is to short to worry about a few leaves.

tjsquickcuts
11-28-2006, 06:38 PM
Leaves in pinestraw is a b%$@h to say the least....I just try to schedule all Pine straw jobs around the seasons.....I lay down lots of straw in Dec, April, and Aug. I usually talk most people into refreshing it at least twice a year, sometimes three times a year....and this really helps with fall clean-ups....Blow everything out of the beds, mow and bag it all up, and lay down fresh straw.....just gotta be patient and use good judgment and timings depending on how many leaves are still on the trees....

topsites
11-28-2006, 07:13 PM
Hehehe, my favorite are Black Willow (http://www.fcps.edu/StratfordLandingES/Ecology/mpages/black_willow.htm) leaves.

FIRESCOOBY
11-28-2006, 07:22 PM
Thanks guys. Was pretty obvious everyone around here was leaving some, just wanting to make sure.