PDA

View Full Version : New RBG Question??

SJR Lawncare
06-22-2001, 09:27 PM
I just got my RBG 2181 today, & just tried it. I'm a little confused on the correct angle. All my blades are so far out of whack from always using a bench grinder, that I dont know which way to go. Does anyone know if raising the wheel higher will make a less steep angle on the edge? Or lowering the wheel will make the edge less steep? I dont want to take excess metal off the blades trying to figure it out.
Thanks in advance

SJR

Eric ELM
06-22-2001, 09:33 PM
Raising the wheel will give you less of a steep angle on the blade, lowering it will make the angle steeper. I try for around a 30 degree angle. Once you get all your blades the same, it won't take very long at all to sharpen blades. The first time, it can take awhile to get them all the same.

>< Those angles are approximately 30 degrees.

SJR Lawncare
06-22-2001, 09:40 PM
Thanks Eric, I knew it would not take long to have that question answered. This is the best site in the whole wide world!!

Administrator
06-22-2001, 09:42 PM
"This is the best site in the whole wide world!!"

:D

Chuck Keough

Eric ELM
06-22-2001, 09:53 PM
I know you have to love hearing a statement like that Chuck. :)

bridges
06-23-2001, 07:34 PM
Once you have the angle you want. Is it faster than an angle grinder?

And how do you guys sharpen the back of the blade with that rbG?

Tony

Eric ELM
06-23-2001, 08:04 PM
Once you have the angle you want. Is it faster than an angle grinder?

Yes it is faster. I can sharpen a blade in less than a minute now. It took me that long to put the blade in the vise 2 times, so I could sharpen it with the angle grinder. After sharpening one end you had to take it out of the vise and turn it 180 degrees to to the other end of the blade.

And how do you guys sharpen the back of the blade with that rbG?

I hold the blade straight up and down, so the back side of the blade is laying on the table and slide it over the wheel to take off the burs on the back side if there are any. It works just fine.