PDA

View Full Version : Bought the Stihl BR600 today. I have a Red Max EBZ 8000. Heres what I think.

LawnMower
11-28-2006, 06:47 PM
I bought the New BR 600 today. Dropped $500 after taxes. What do I think of it? I'm amazed by this machine so far. The fit and finish is very impressive. There's nothing out in the open to get snagged. Where there's a lot to get snagged on the Red Max. The gas lines are out in the open on the Red Max, as well as cables. There's nothing like that on the Stihl. The Stihl is more comfortable on your back. Its lighter and because its closer to your back it feels lighter then it is. I feel as though I bought a state of the art well engineered machine....so far.

I was final able to compare it directly with the Red Max 8000 on large piles of wet leafs. The Stihl dose better then the Red Max. I was blowing side by side with my helper and I was getting more more leafs moved then he was. I was using the Stihl BR 600. We switched blowers and now he was moving along faster then I was. The Stihl was better at getting leafs out of tight places such as a stone wall, or prickers.

I think an important difference in the two blowers is the nozzle outlet. The Stihl has a tapered outlet witch concentrates the air. The Red Max has a strait tube, so the air isn't as concentrated. Both blowers probably make the same amount of air. Today, the tapered nozzle of the Stihl was doing better then the Red Max 8000s wider outlet. I bet the 8000 would do better then the Stihl on dry leafs because of the wider nozzle outlet. But not by much.

The new BR600 even has that twist when you give it full throttle like the Red Max does. If the Stihl BR600 continues to run like it did today , then I feel it is a better buy then the Red Max 8000. iv had nothing but problem with my Red Max. The BR600 is brand new, so I may feel differently about the machine after it has some hours on it.

To all you Red Max guys, just remember its only my opinion. An opinion is like a rear-end. Every one has one and they all stink. :drinkup:

John Gamba
11-28-2006, 06:57 PM
I bought the New BR 600 today. Dropped $500 after taxes. What do I think of it? I'm amazed by this machine so far. The fit and finish is very impressive. There's nothing out in the open to get snagged. Where there's a lot to get snagged on the Red Max. The gas lines are out in the open on the Red Max, as well as cables. There's nothing like that on the Stihl. The Stihl is more comfortable on your back. Its lighter and because its closer to your back it feels lighter then it is. I feel as though I bought a state of the art well engineered machine....so far.

I was final able to compare it directly with the Red Max 8000 on large piles of wet leafs. The Stihl dose better then the Red Max. I was blowing side by side with my helper and I was getting more more leafs moved then he was. I was using the Stihl BR 600. We switched blowers and now he was moving along faster then I was. The Stihl was better at getting leafs out of tight places such as a stone wall, or prickers.

I think an important difference in the two blowers is the nozzle outlet. The Stihl has a tapered outlet witch concentrates the air. The Red Max has a strait tube, so the air isn't as concentrated. Both blowers probably make the same amount of air. Today, the tapered nozzle of the Stihl was doing better then the Red Max 8000s wider outlet. I bet the 8000 would do better then the Stihl on dry leafs because of the wider nozzle outlet. But not by much.

The new BR600 even has that twist when you give it full throttle like the Red Max does. If the Stihl BR600 continues to run like it did today , then I feel it is a better buy then the Red Max 8000. iv had nothing but problem with my Red Max. The BR600 is brand new, so I may feel differently about the machine after it has some hours on it.

To all you Red Max guys, just remember its only my opinion. An opinion is like a rear-end. Every one has one and they all stink. :drinkup:

I do use my 600 over the echo 750. I am going to get the 8000 for next fall to help with the bigger piles going up hill.

topsites
11-28-2006, 08:19 PM
Couple of tricks I learned with the 4-cycler (other than I run 93 octane):

First thing of the day, start it choked. If you're quick, you should be able to turn the choke off without the machine cutting off... So long the machine doesn't stay turned off for too many hours, the next start is no choke (and in summer, always no choke).
Sometimes that half-choke setting does it, takes some practice but they are 1-pullers.

greengiant9963
11-29-2006, 12:29 AM
Couple of tricks I learned with the 4-cycler (other than I run 93 octane):

First thing of the day, start it choked. If you're quick, you should be able to turn the choke off without the machine cutting off... So long the machine doesn't stay turned off for too many hours, the next start is no choke (and in summer, always no choke).
Sometimes that half-choke setting does it, takes some practice but they are 1-pullers.

Ditto..always starts on the first or second pull..I switched from 89 to 93 octane..figured it couldn't hurt.

S man
11-29-2006, 12:40 AM
Lawn mower, Keep us posted when you get some use on it.

G.M.Landscaping
11-29-2006, 12:52 AM
These threads are starting to drive me nuts.

I've been running my echo 650 for a few years and have thought about buying a newer more powerful BP. I think I've read every thread on them over the last month(EBZ8510/EB8001/BR600)etc.

Just so confusing. I wish I could demo every model (well broken in also) to see the differences.

When will the madness end? My leaf season is over now so I'm guesing next year they're going to be new models to whine(I mean compare) about.

S man
11-29-2006, 12:57 AM
It's driving me nuts also. I'm glad I'm in a area with no leaves to clean up. I'm sticking with the small blowers for now.

HenryB
11-29-2006, 01:07 AM
These threads are starting to drive me nuts.

I've been running my echo 650 for a few years and have thought about buying a newer more powerful BP. I think I've read every thread on them over the last month(EBZ8510/EB8001/BR600)etc.

Just so confusing. I wish I could demo every model (well broken in also) to see the differences.

When will the madness end? My leaf season is over now so I'm guesing next year they're going to be new models to whine(I mean compare) about.

It's really simple the 600 is designed better, lighter and smoother than th RM 8000. The 8000 is a looooooooot more powerful. The Shindaiwa 8510 is as powerful as the 8000 but very new and not really tested yet. Yes I've owned all three.

HenryB
11-29-2006, 01:10 AM
To say the Stihl 600 is as powerful as the RM 8000 is just plain silly.:hammerhead: It's a great blower but cannot move volume like the Redmax.

G.M.Landscaping
11-29-2006, 01:43 AM
I think everyone should own one of each:
One power-full handheld:HS 85 (what I own)or equivalent

One all around medium weight BP for reg maintenance(Echo BP650 -mine)

One heavy duty/heavy weight blower for leaves only(still deciding on what to get)

One W/B blower 8 HP and up

My debate is over which is the best and biggest and baddest BP blower(EBZ8510/eb8001/BR600) available?

Ron's Lawncare
11-29-2006, 08:19 AM
It's driving me nuts also. I'm glad I'm in a area with no leaves to clean up. I'm sticking with the small blowers for now.

YES YES the big blowers are only needed to move large amounts of debris. for general cleanup I.E. after mowing, a smaller lighter machine is more desirable.

grass_cuttin_fool
11-29-2006, 08:39 AM
I think everyone should own one of each:
One power-full handheld:HS 85 (what I own)or equivalent

One all around medium weight BP for reg maintenance(Echo BP650 -mine)

One heavy duty/heavy weight blower for leaves only(still deciding on what to get)

One W/B blower 8 HP and up

My debate is over which is the best and biggest and baddest BP blower(EBZ8510/eb8001/BR600) available?

I agree, Maybe its overkill but then again how many guys out there only have 1 trimmer?. I use a stihl bg55 for small sidewalks, stihl br340 for larger areas and light leaf removal, and a redmax 7001 is my workhorse for leaves. also I have a lil wonder 5hp push blower. Each blower has its place in the bizz (In my opinion that is)

wayne

Raven386
11-29-2006, 08:51 AM
well i have an Echo 751, and i just demoed a Redmax EBZ8000. IMO the redmax blew the Echo away. there were a couple things i didnt like about it though, like how much gas it sucked. we filled both machines, used them for the same amount of time and the redmax was empty as where the echo only went through a 3/4 tank and the R/M tank was a lot bigger too. i was really hoping it would be lighter and easier to carry but it wasn't. it was a lot more powerful than the echo in all aspects. we were blowing leaves off the top of a pool cover and i tried it with the echo and then with the Redmax.... the echo didnt even budge the leaves but the redmax blew them right off. i just wish there was a way to take everyone of them out at once, that would be great for everything! take a Scag & Exmark and compare them at the same time....

John Gamba
11-29-2006, 09:06 AM
well i have an Echo 751, and i just demoed a Redmax EBZ8000. IMO the redmax blew the Echo away. there were a couple things i didnt like about it though, like how much gas it sucked. we filled both machines, used them for the same amount of time and the redmax was empty as where the echo only went through a 3/4 tank and the R/M tank was a lot bigger too. i was really hoping it would be lighter and easier to carry but it wasn't. it was a lot more powerful than the echo in all aspects. we were blowing leaves off the top of a pool cover and i tried it with the echo and then with the Redmax.... the echo didnt even budge the leaves but the redmax blew them right off. i just wish there was a way to take everyone of them out at once, that would be great for everything! take a Scag & Exmark and compare them at the same time....

I have had the blowers out at the same time. The 600 is for everything but the big leave piles and the 8001 for the big stuff. The 750 that i have is only a little more powerful then the 600.

citysexton
11-29-2006, 09:18 AM
Thanks for posting this thread. I just submitted a P.O. to buy one this week:clapping: . Its a big purchase to "hope" it works well. Nice to hear that at least STIHL remains a quality product. We have had so many problems with Echo's and the dealers that we quit buying them.

ThirdDay
11-29-2006, 09:27 AM
To say the Stihl 600 is as powerful as the RM 8000 is just plain silly.:hammerhead: It's a great blower but cannot move volume like the Redmax.

Very true...the Stihl isn't close to the Red Max!

FinalCut05
11-29-2006, 10:06 AM
I probably have around 50 hours on my BR600 so far and it blows MUCH harder after the break in period (2-3 tanks of gas), especially if you use the Stihl HP Ultra mix. Most of the time I have to hold the right back strap with my left hand cause its always putting too much pressure on my shoulder from the power. Just my .02

Ron's Lawncare
11-29-2006, 12:34 PM

i found the opposite i could only get 45-50 min on the echo at full throttle. i can get over an hour with the Redmax a full throttle.

LawnMower
11-29-2006, 01:22 PM
I believe the BR 600 moves as much leafs as the Red Max 8000. I have both. The big difference between the two blowers is the nozzle opening. The Red Max blowes a wider swath of air. The Stihl has a tapered nozzle opening, so the air is more concentrated. The BR600 will move wet leafs better the Red Max. The Red max will move a large pile of dry leafs better.

Both blowers make the same air flow. Red Max= wide swath of air. Stihl= narrow swath of air. Both have the same air presser. This is my experience using both blowers side by each for the last two days.

Richard Martin
11-29-2006, 04:31 PM
Most of the time I have to hold the right back strap with my left hand cause its always putting too much pressure on my shoulder from the power. Just my .02

That has been my experience too. I don't really care whether or not the 8000 can blow harder than my 600. If the leaves get that bad I break out the Little Wonder and knock it out.

lawnprosteveo
11-29-2006, 06:10 PM
I dont have either of these blowers. I plan on buying the Redmax 8000 next fall.

Just going by the stats, the Redmax blows 231 more cfm of air volume. It also blows that greater volume at 203 mph compared to Stihls 201.

It has 71.9 cc's as compared to Stihl's 64.8. It has 30 ounces greater fuel capacity over Stihl.

The BR600 is lighter by nearly 5 lbs. I would guess it is also quieter and has better emissions.

Just going by the stats, the Redmax 8000 is the more powerful blower.

walker/redmax
11-29-2006, 06:33 PM

I'll have to demo a BR600 sometime and see what I think. I do like my BR420:waving:

John Gamba
11-29-2006, 06:59 PM
I'll have to demo a BR600 sometime and see what I think. I do like my BR420:waving:

Day and night difference

rodfather
11-29-2006, 07:02 PM
Day and night difference

to put it mildly

Precision
11-29-2006, 08:13 PM
to put it mildly

Not that I am likely to, but is there any reason to upgrade from a BR420 to a BR600 if you never do any leaf work.

The vast majority of my usage is dirt and debris removal from hard surfaces after mowing and edging. Around here edging is every week.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
11-29-2006, 08:31 PM
Redmax makes a turbo nozzle it's tapered at the end 15% in volume.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
11-29-2006, 09:53 PM
Not that I am likely to, but is there any reason to upgrade from a BR420 to a BR600 if you never do any leaf work.

The vast majority of my usage is dirt and debris removal from hard surfaces after mowing and edging. Around here edging is every week.

I have both the 420 and the 600 and for me the 600 just gets the job done faster no matter if it is grass and dirt off the driveway after a mow and edge, or blowing leaves, or using the blower to dry the water off my bike after I wash it.... The 600 just blows so much more air than the 420 it is very noticeable.

Now saying that, the 420 is much more comfortable to wear on your back, it is lighter and less bulky than the 600. I could not imagine using anything bigger than the 600 myself.

S man
11-29-2006, 11:17 PM
The redmax eb7001 is the best all around blower for anything imo. I've used one with a lawn service through the summer and loved it. The back padding though was a little uncomfortable. But then again I never adjusted the shoulder rests because it wasen't mine and the owner was sort of big so when I used it the blower was really far from my back. Kinda stupid.

LawnMower
11-30-2006, 12:00 AM
I have both the 420 and the 600 and for me the 600 just gets the job done faster no matter if it is grass and dirt off the driveway after a mow and edge, or blowing leaves, or using the blower to dry the water off my bike after I wash it.... The 600 just blows so much more air than the 420 it is very noticeable.

Now saying that, the 420 is much more comfortable to wear on your back, it is lighter and less bulky than the 600. I could not imagine using anything bigger than the 600 myself.

Try using the dinosaur, big block, late 60s, muscle, heavy, loud, Red Max 8000. It will make you love the BR 600 even more. They both move the same amount of leafs at the end of the day.

HenryB
11-30-2006, 12:43 AM
I wish the 8000 wasn't sooooooo much more powerful because the 600 is light and smooth . Time is money and the 8000 is just that much more powerful. People should be honest with themselves the comparison is silly. Both great blowers but they are not almost the same.

Just Mow
11-30-2006, 12:59 AM
Very true...the Stihl isn't close to the Red Max!

Ho...Hum, this coming from a Troll. You are so boring with your posts. But then again sometimes your great philosophy just cracks me up.:dancing:

LawnMower
11-30-2006, 07:01 PM
I wish the 8000 wasn't sooooooo much more powerful because the 600 is light and smooth . Time is money and the 8000 is just that much more powerful. People should be honest with themselves the comparison is silly. Both great blowers but they are not almost the same.

Oh ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho yes they are. Like I said in earlier posts, I have both blowers. The Red Max makes more noise so its an allusion that its more powerful then the Stihl. The Stihl moves wet leafs better. Both blowers have sack. The Stihl dose it in a European mild mannered way. The Red Max dose it in a hairy chested tough guy kind of way. They both move the same amount of air.

John Gamba
11-30-2006, 07:25 PM
Oh ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho yes they are. Like I said in earlier posts, I have both blowers. The Red Max makes more noise so its an allusion that its more powerful then the Stihl. The Stihl moves wet leafs better. Both blowers have sack. The Stihl dose it in a European mild mannered way. The Red Max dose it in a hairy chested tough guy kind of way. They both move the same amount of air.

The 600 is the wave of the future, heres why. They want to put a no noise blower law in somewhere in mass and new york. The 600 is very quiet compared to the old 2 cycles. they are looking at the emissions to.

HenryB
11-30-2006, 07:53 PM

If believing that is true makes you happy, be happy:) I've had both too. The 600 is comparable to the RM7001. Anyway be happy that's most important! This comparison is getting old because it is so ridiculous.

LawnMower
11-30-2006, 10:47 PM
If believing that is true makes you happy, be happy:) I've had both too. The 600 is comparable to the RM7001. Anyway be happy that's most important! This comparison is getting old because it is so ridiculous.

Argument keeps Lawn site alive, lol.

jbell113
12-01-2006, 12:52 AM
After reading all the posts on the 8001 versus the redmax ...... I really wish I had some reassurance on the $519.00 redmax blower I bought 2 weeks ago. Now I wish I had bought the br600. But Im stuck now and I guess I might as well make the best with the beast of a blower I have now. I could have bought the 600 for $430.00 to. Guess I should have waited.

jbell113
12-01-2006, 01:00 AM
I meant 8001 versus br600

John Gamba
12-01-2006, 06:37 AM
After reading all the posts on the 8001 versus the redmax ...... I really wish I had some reassurance on the $519.00 redmax blower I bought 2 weeks ago. Now I wish I had bought the br600. But Im stuck now and I guess I might as well make the best with the beast of a blower I have now. I could have bought the 600 for $430.00 to. Guess I should have waited.

I think there both great blowers. Just get the 600 for the next one

Rons Rightway Lawncare
12-01-2006, 11:20 AM
I haven't used the Redmax, but if it weights that much more, and I have seen it and did not like the looks of it's bulky size and exposed fuel lines and so on.... And it uses more fuel.... Unless the thing just outblasts the hell out of a BR600, I see no reason to use one.

I bought my BR-600 for 400$ out the door, it is reasonably light, well protected, good on gas, reasonably quiet, blows like a tornado, and it is easy to use.

Again, if there is a huge power difference then it may be something to look into, but the specs claim it is the same amount of wind and speed.....

I bet alot of this percieved difference from Redmax users is the amount of noise the machine makes over the Stihl.... I have a friend who refuses to upgrade from his BR-420's ( he has 3 crews and maybe 10 BR-420's ) even though he tried my old BR550 and saw it blew much harder. He said he didn't like the way it sounded..... Go figure.... This same friend swore he would never own a Diesel truck because he didn't like the sounds of a diesel engine, or the smell of the fuel or exhaust, after driving my 2001 Ram he decided to get a diesel and now has 3 of them...

LawnMower
12-01-2006, 01:59 PM
I think there both great blowers. Just get the 600 for the next one

Your right, they are both good. jbell113 will be happy with the Red Max, its just not the same happy as he would be with the BR 600.

Iv had the BR 600 for three days now. My guy and I prefer using the BR 600. Its the first blower we grab. But if hes using it, I have no problem using the Red Max 8000 as long as it doesn't break. I used the Red Max all day yesterday... what ever. Together we moved a mountain of leafs. I just kept looking over at him in envy, lol.:laugh:

John Gamba
12-01-2006, 02:28 PM
Your right, they are both good. jbell113 will be happy with the Red Max, its just not the same happy as he would be with the BR 600.

Iv had the BR 600 for three days now. My guy and I prefer using the BR 600. Its the first blower we grab. But if hes using it, I have no problem using the Red Max 8000 as long as it doesn't break. I used the Red Max all day yesterday... what ever. Together we moved a mountain of leafs. I just kept looking over at him in envy, lol.:laugh:

I know, i use the 600 over the echo everytime:laugh:

S man
12-02-2006, 04:10 PM

Time will tell the better blower.

Ramairfreak98ss
12-02-2006, 10:11 PM
i found the opposite i could only get 45-50 min on the echo at full throttle. i can get over an hour with the Redmax a full throttle.

i only get ~1hr out of the huge tank on the redmax.... its a gashog no doubt.. My echo 43cc backpack sips gas in comparison. I can use that for lawns all week on the same tank, and its much less gas than the redmax tank. I think 45oz fuel compared to what 80oz for the redmax?

Even leaf cleanups, i fill that big redmax tank and hell it feels like 20 minutes ago you gassed up and the thing is dying on me already:confused:

dcondon
12-02-2006, 10:38 PM
i only get ~1hr out of the huge tank on the redmax.... its a gashog no doubt.. My echo 43cc backpack sips gas in comparison. I can use that for lawns all week on the same tank, and its much less gas than the redmax tank. I think 45oz fuel compared to what 80oz for the redmax?

Even leaf cleanups, i fill that big redmax tank and hell it feels like 20 minutes ago you gassed up and the thing is dying on me already:confused:

If you do the math I bet you are using less gas with the redmax because you will get twice as much done in half the time.:laugh:

John Gamba
12-03-2006, 06:29 AM
[QUOTE=Ramairfreak98ss]i only get ~1hr out of the huge tank on the redmax.... its a gashog no doubt.. My echo 43cc backpack sips gas in comparison. QUOTE]

Not the echo 750, it sucks gas to

JW Lawn
12-03-2006, 02:19 PM
I am on my 3rd week with my br600....Its running better with every tank. I ran yesterday for 5 hours, when i was almost done pulled out my 755.....There was no comparison, the 600 is a much stronger blower.:weightlifter:

John Gamba
12-03-2006, 02:23 PM
I am on my 3rd week with my br600....Its running better with every tank. I ran yesterday for 5 hours, when i was almost done pulled out my 755.....There was no comparison, the 600 is a much stronger blower.:weightlifter:

The 600 is a nice all around blower.

Steppenwolf
12-03-2006, 05:39 PM
The 600 is a nice all around blower.

We are running three of the units now and I think you said dead on.

John Gamba
12-03-2006, 05:51 PM
We are running three of the units now and I think you said dead on.

We are expecting some sort of snow tomorrow. I have already thought of using the 600. I wish i had a 8000 just in case its gets heavy:weightlifter: :weightlifter: :waving: :laugh:

Envy Lawn Service
12-03-2006, 09:34 PM
Well Lawnmower,

I don't have experience with the 8000... but do have over a month of experience with the 8001, which is similar but not the same.

Personally, I would have to totally agree with you about the airstream between RedMax and the BR600. I gave up on trying to explain it to people. The BR600 does have a more directed air stream, and it does move air the same speed.

So in some situations it is very hard to tell the difference in "power" between the two... depending on what your definition of power is. For light blowing and stuck stuff blowing it's real hard to tell a difference, and in some situations I prefer the more directed air stream at the same speed.

HOWEVER, although the BR600 may move the air at the same MPH in a smaller stream and seem as powerful.... it's just not. It doesn't move anywhere near the amount of air volume.

When you are just starting a job, even if the leaf cover is extremely heavy, with the 8001 you can just hit the throttle, and if you test it by just walking straight forward, you'll find you can clear a swath atleast 5-6 feet wide as fast as you can go with it.

In some applications the BR600 seems as powerful as the 8001 due to it's pinpoint airstream, but it's really not. This will become evident to you once you start to move really large piles of dry leaves.

In the end, I'm going to order the RedMax accessory nozzles. Then I'll be able to direct all those extra CFM and the air speed will probably go to 220 or more too. This will come in handy for a few things here and there, like stuff really stuck to hard surfaces, ect....

ed2hess
12-03-2006, 10:50 PM
I know, i use the 600 over the echo everytime:laugh:
Okay big John I got a 600 for a two week test drive.... First thing I noticed can't get the end pipe off (without tools) for close work. And that choke button don't have much meat on it, and what is with this gas cap(not handicap friendly). And this blower has so much force that it almost blows me backwards. If these blower guys get much more force it will be hard to walk forward with the unit wide open. I can't hardly hear the machine run, I love that high pitch turbo sound from the PB650. I really like the tight packaging of the cables and round like profile makes it easy to slide into cages. Anxious to get it in the field this next week.

HenryB
12-03-2006, 10:59 PM
Well Lawnmower,

I don't have experience with the 8000... but do have over a month of experience with the 8001, which is similar but not the same.

Personally, I would have to totally agree with you about the airstream between RedMax and the BR600. I gave up on trying to explain it to people. The BR600 does have a more directed air stream, and it does move air the same speed.

So in some situations it is very hard to tell the difference in "power" between the two... depending on what your definition of power is. For light blowing and stuck stuff blowing it's real hard to tell a difference, and in some situations I prefer the more directed air stream at the same speed.

HOWEVER, although the BR600 may move the air at the same MPH in a smaller stream and seem as powerful.... it's just not. It doesn't move anywhere near the amount of air volume.

When you are just starting a job, even if the leaf cover is extremely heavy, with the 8001 you can just hit the throttle, and if you test it by just walking straight forward, you'll find you can clear a swath atleast 5-6 feet wide as fast as you can go with it.

In some applications the BR600 seems as powerful as the 8001 due to it's pinpoint airstream, but it's really not. This will become evident to you once you start to move really large piles of dry leaves.

In the end, I'm going to order the RedMax accessory nozzles. Then I'll be able to direct all those extra CFM and the air speed will probably go to 220 or more too. This will come in handy for a few things here and there, like stuff really stuck to hard surfaces, ect....
Very well said Envy. That sums up the differences.:clapping:

S man
12-03-2006, 11:35 PM
Envy, if you bought your 8001 online, how are the dealers going to react when you bring it in? would you ship it back to the online guy if something hapened?

Envy Lawn Service
12-04-2006, 01:42 AM
Envy, if you bought your 8001 online, how are the dealers going to react when you bring it in? would you ship it back to the online guy if something hapened?

I never said I bought my units online.
I've never made an on-line equipment purchase.
Might not ever either.

It's not that I have anything against that, and I'm probably one of the people who should do it that way. I'm just not that 'type' personally is all. I'd rather go someplace, pull out the money clip and hand the money to a person... and invest in my local economy... when ever I can.

Also, to some people, on-line is a convienence. Not for me usually. Typically when I need something... it's usually a part, and convienece to me is to be able to drop by and get that part right now... that sorta thing.

Envy Lawn Service
12-04-2006, 01:48 AM
Okay big John I got a 600 for a two week test drive.... First thing I noticed can't get the end pipe off (without tools) for close work. And that choke button don't have much meat on it, and what is with this gas cap(not handicap friendly). And this blower has so much force that it almost blows me backwards. If these blower guys get much more force it will be hard to walk forward with the unit wide open. I can't hardly hear the machine run, I love that high pitch turbo sound from the PB650. I really like the tight packaging of the cables and round like profile makes it easy to slide into cages. Anxious to get it in the field this next week.

Hey... I told you those Stihls were nice units... now didn't I? But yeah, I totally agree with you on the areas where it falls a little short. But overall it is a good unit.

The way you talk, I'd get a kick out of seeing you run an 8001. When they start arriving in your area you gotta try one. You won't mind it on your back at all since you use PB 650's now. But man will you be impressed with the power.

John Gamba
12-04-2006, 07:59 AM

The sound you hear or dont hear is the future "no noise" the blower pulling you back is a "good thing" The tube is short enough already get a good hand held blower for very tight work " tanaka 2510"

The gas cap is difficult to say the least BUT with the 650 years ago i twisted the gas cap off rubbing the cap against the house and had gas running down my but "i guess the sthil cap is a good thing"

Have fun with it and see what it can do REMEMBER this is the future stuff your playing with:)

Precision
12-04-2006, 08:42 PM
The gas cap is difficult to say the least BUT with the 650 years ago i twisted the gas cap off rubbing the cap against the house and had gas running down my but "i guess the sthil cap is a good thing"

Me too, but with a different blower. and let me tell you that sucks. Almost bad enough to call it a day and go home and shower. The cap came off right as I swung it onto my back. I lost half the tank onto my butt, back and legs.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
12-04-2006, 09:05 PM
If your not careful, you can THINK you have the BR600's gas cap closed and turns out it is not... I have has Gas Ass twice now because I was not paying attention to the cap after a fill up.

Today I pulled the little screen out of the end of the muffler. The blower is slightly louder and seems to be blowing a bit harder too.

I might try out a 8001 one day, but the specs show it and the BR-600 to be a close match in both speed and CFM's. I like the profile and packaging of the Stihl, less noise and lighter on my back.

I wonder if anyone has taken the end pipe off the BR-600, the part that tapers in to give a smaller diameter..... And compared the blower to the Redmax then?

Likestomow
12-04-2006, 10:18 PM
I bought a new EBZ8000 in the early fall so I could get it broken in for leaf season. This thing is heavier, but it blows 3x the leaves the 7001 does (maybe more). It is a flat out work horse.

I was working side-by-side with the 7001 today and really hated when I had to use it. It felt so weak in comparrison.

I get a kick out of these people on here whining about the 8000 using more gas. Gee, it might use a pint more than some other brand... SO WHAT? I want my blower to be big and bad and use more gas. I want it to weigh more so it will do more.

I use mine for work, not for play. If there was a 9000 that weighed even more, I'd buy it. Get the right tools and go to work.

And as far as Stihl goes... I'd never have a Stihl ANYTHING except for a chainsaw.

Envy Lawn Service
12-04-2006, 11:56 PM
If your not careful, you can THINK you have the BR600's gas cap closed and turns out it is not... I have has Gas Ass twice now because I was not paying attention to the cap after a fill up.

Today I pulled the little screen out of the end of the muffler. The blower is slightly louder and seems to be blowing a bit harder too.

I might try out a 8001 one day, but the specs show it and the BR-600 to be a close match in both speed and CFM's. I like the profile and packaging of the Stihl, less noise and lighter on my back.

I wonder if anyone has taken the end pipe off the BR-600, the part that tapers in to give a smaller diameter..... And compared the blower to the Redmax then?

How true. You would think that with the pain it is, you'd never fail at it.
But you have to watch it still.

I now pull the screens out of everything and put them away. I don't smoke, so I put them in the ashtray of the truck they are on... or in a ziplock in the dash. Then I use my own judgement about when it is better to be safe than sorry.

Also, I just cannot understand why I can seem to get my point across to others here that restricted exhaust = less performance... rather it be something as simple as a screen, a low noise muffler, or a catalytic muffler. These other guys won't listen, but you and I know.

Anyways, for your applications the way you do things, you have no need for an 8001. Not unless you have commercial sites with large parking lots, ect. Unless you are working the crap out of it, or trying to cover a huge area fast, you just don't need an 8001.

Stihl has a great package in the BR600. I hope they continue to hone it to perfection too. With the RedMax buyout on the horizon, I may need somewhere to turn to in the future.

As for the end of the Stihl pipe... someone here carved the opening larger on one of the 4-mix blower models. I remember reading about it.

That's about prefered type of air stream, and what you percieve to be a good powerful airstream. Some guys lean to the big wide CFM stream. Me, I don't. I like a balance of speed and cfm in a narrower stream. The 8001's don't have that narrow stream. But they have so much CFM and speed that it doesn't matter.

In a nutshell, I can tell you what will happen to the BR600 if you straight pipe it. You may get a very small CFM gain that will be hard to notice 99% of the time, and a huge reduction in air speed you'll notice all the time. Probably a drop down to around 180mph.

All that work went into that pipe system for this blower for a very good reason.
They had to tune the pipes to the blower, otherwise they would have went simple with it.

On the other hand... with these 8001's you can take the tubes off them and it is just UNREAL the CFM these things can move. It's like a short range wall of air coming out of them at like 180 mph or so. I've never seen a blower that could work like that with the tubes off. In fact, I'm so impressed with it that I'm going to take one and temporarily mount it to a handtruck or something with the entire tubing off back to just the elbow. I want to see what it can do with the exit down at the ground where the work is at blowing parallel to the ground.

I bet you it lays a hurting on a 5hp or more push blower like that at 100 lbs less weight to push around to boot.

grass_cuttin_fool
12-05-2006, 12:42 PM
I bought a new EBZ8000 in the early fall so I could get it broken in for leaf season. This thing is heavier, but it blows 3x the leaves the 7001 does (maybe more). It is a flat out work horse.

I was working side-by-side with the 7001 today and really hated when I had to use it. It felt so weak in comparrison.

I get a kick out of these people on here whining about the 8000 using more gas. Gee, it might use a pint more than some other brand... SO WHAT? I want my blower to be big and bad and use more gas. I want it to weigh more so it will do more.

I use mine for work, not for play. If there was a 9000 that weighed even more, I'd buy it. Get the right tools and go to work.

And as far as Stihl goes... I'd never have a Stihl ANYTHING except for a chainsaw.

LOL I got a 7001 this year and I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread, he he. Im gonna have to try the 8001 maybe next year

wayne

RedMax Man
12-05-2006, 04:13 PM
All i can say is my 8000 has Windstorm power and runs perfectly. It pays to buy from a dealer, at least my dealer gives me great service.

LawnMower
12-07-2006, 11:32 PM
Gotta watch out for the Stihls gas cap, like others have said. If the gas cap isn't all the way on, it will fall off. You have to turn it till it clicks and if it has a full tank of gas its hard to do.

My gas cap came off the other day and I drenched the back of my pants and boots with the full tank of gas. There wasn't a drop left in the tank. I didn't realize until I slipped on the pavement with the gas/oil mix. The fumes gave me a head ache and eventually started turning my stomach.

Like others have said, it makes you so mad, you want to call it a day. But it happened at my house so I just changed and went back at it. I was blowing out the cab of my truck. Works better then a vacuum.

LegienzaLandscaping
12-08-2006, 10:58 AM
Here are the manufacturers specs:
stihl BR600: 712cfm at the nozzle
redmax ebz8000: 688cfm "with tubes", you can find this spec in the dowloadable pdf even though the website just says 943 cfm not specifying at the nozzle or housing
Echo 755: 625 cfm at the nozzle
Shind 8510: 768 cfm at the nozzle

The stihl is the lightest, but whats interesting is it seems to have identical motor specs to the br550 which only puts out 530cfm. I have a br550 and its a great reliable fuel efficient blower but I want something bigger next year. The only thing I dont care for is the fancy gas cap, and for leaf season the fuel tank could be bigger (its the smallest out of the group). But stihls 4 mix motor has been excellent for the two years I owned it and after its been run once it will always start first pull the rest of the day.

Envy Lawn Service
12-08-2006, 02:51 PM
Here are the manufacturers specs:
stihl BR600: 712cfm at the nozzle
redmax ebz8000: 688cfm "with tubes", you can find this spec in the dowloadable pdf even though the website just says 943 cfm not specifying at the nozzle or housing
Echo 755: 625 cfm at the nozzle
Shind 8510: 768 cfm at the nozzle

The stihl is the lightest, but whats interesting is it seems to have identical motor specs to the br550 which only puts out 530cfm. I have a br550 and its a great reliable fuel efficient blower but I want something bigger next year. The only thing I dont care for is the fancy gas cap, and for leaf season the fuel tank could be bigger (its the smallest out of the group). But stihls 4 mix motor has been excellent for the two years I owned it and after its been run once it will always start first pull the rest of the day.

Well, I'm right there with you and have no beefs against Stihl. Their products have always treated me very well and lasted a very long time. Likewise for the 4-Mix engines as well.

It was other unrelated things that caused me to stray from having all Stihl stuff over the years. For one, they started to lag behind in backpack power there for a while prior to releasing the BR600. The pre-600 backpacks were bulletproof but lacked the GRUNT of the advancing Echo and RedMax backpacks.

Myself, I still think Stihl builds overall more durable handheld equipment than the rest. The RedMax stuff I have has a long way to go yet in proving to me that they measure up in this department. But at the same time, as much as I like them so far, so do the newer 4-Mix engines.

I have no beef with them personally. No problems either. But I was still gun shy of standardizing to them just yet. I didn't want a whole shop full of them just yet. Maybe in a few years.

As for the CFM issue... there is one small, but rather large detail you missed there on the RedMax. And that is the word AVERAGE. It states "average CFM with tubes"... which as a user I can translate to average CFM across the RPM range.

So you are comparing a spec from RedMax that is not comparible to the MAX CFM rating of the BR600. All anybody needs to do is try an 8001 for just a few minutes on a good job. I'm telling you, it's terribly apparent that the RedMax moves WAY MORE air volume over a much wider path at the same speed.

When it comes right down to it, the BR600 is closer to the 8001 in speed and all-around working power than it is in air volume. The gap is that big. The harder the job is in leaf volume, the more apparent it is. Like against a big dune of leaves that can catch/harness all that CFM... yeah you can see the gap. That's for sure.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
12-08-2006, 09:16 PM
I had the BR-550. I bought it the day they brought the first units to the dealer here. Matter of fact, I bought it before they even had them in stock, I got a 20$ discount for " pre ordering " and waited about a month till they came in before picking it up.

That blower was leaps and bounds more powerful than the BR-420 I was using then.

I used the BR-550 till this summer when I finally broke down and looked at a new BR-600.

If you look at the blowers themselves, the BR-600 has a ever so slight SMALLER engine than the BR-550. The two blowers look exactly the same down to the smallest detail....

I was told the extra power the BR-600 makes comes from a better fan design. I would be willing to bet you could take the BR-550 and buy a BR-600 fan and put it on the 550 for more power.

I used the BR-600 while I still had the BR-550 and there was a very noticeable difference.

Now I will say since I have not used the Redmax it is possible it has more power than the BR-600. But I can just say that from the reports of owners of both, in the working world the power difference can not be that wide. I am not sure I want to give up the comfort and dependability of the Stihl for slightly more power. The BR-600 is comfortable to wear, starts very easy, is good on gas, is not very loud, and appears easy to work on and so far has not needed any think other than gas and go.

I am not brand loyal. I have certain preferences in my equipment.... I disable safetys on the mowers... I take out the little safety bars sticking out of new weedwackers throttle handles so I can give it gas without needing to have my hand around the grip.... I will not use a trimmer without a " Echo " type bump head..... Etc... etc.... etc....

BUT, I will buy whatever seems to be a good product at a good price. This summer I decided to upgrade to a new trimmer and gave the Kawasaki trimmers a look and even though they were about the cheapest on the market it has been one of the best I have had so far... Runs great and is super light. I have had shindawa, Echo, Mariyuma, Lesco, trimmers and who knows, maybe the next one will be a Robin. Whatever looks like a good buy when I am in the market next time is what I will buy.

The Stihl appears to be one of the best all around blowers on the market and that is why I have bought them for the last 3 blowers I have bought. The BR-420 has to still be the most comfortable and easiest to use blowers I have ever used. I bought one years ago after trying one out and I liked it alot. Before that I had used Echo, and Mariyuma, and had considered Redmax before buying the Stihl. Again I am not brand loyal, I just like good equipment that has the best OVERALL package. I think anyone who really studys the Redmax and the Stihl and trys them out, would agree the Stihl is the better overall package as far as high end backpack blowers go.

LegienzaLandscaping
12-09-2006, 12:20 AM
From Redmax Website:

Average Air Volume (w/std Pipe) cu. m/min (cfm)
.......................................................................19.5 (688)
Maximum Air Volume (w/o Pipe) cu. m/min (cfm)
.......................................................................26.7 (943)
Max. Air Velocity m/sec (mph)
..........................................................................91 (203)
Durability Period hrs.
..................................................................................300

From Stihl's website:

AIR FLOW RATE AIR VELOCITY
With Without
Tubes Tubes

1210 m≥/h 1720 m≥/h
(712 cfm) (1012 cfm) 201 mph

From Shindaiwa Site:
EB8510
Dry weight* 24.5 lbs. (11.1 kg)
Nozzle velocity 224 mph
Air volume at nozzle
762 CFM
Air volume at housing 1349 CFM

Dont know how tight the quality control is for (the manufacturers) making these claims but on paper the stihl puts out more cfm. I have not tried the br600 or rm8000... just a little of my own research for my next blower. I am also considering the dozen or so user opinions that the rm is more powerful in the field; which has credibility of it own. The shindaiwa has the best #s on paper but the c4 engines are still a pretty new product without a long term track record.

Thought this was also interesting:
"How long can I expect my Shindaiwa product to last?
Shindaiwa 2-stroke and micro 4-stroke engine technologies are designed to last 1000 plus hours compared to 50 to 100 hours of operation for lower-end mass merchant brands"

I believe Redmax Echo and Stihl are all at 300 hours. Thats a pretty big gap. Dont know how true all this is(could be), just thought it was interesting.

Envy Lawn Service
12-09-2006, 02:21 AM
From Redmax Website:

Average Air Volume (w/std Pipe) cu. m/min (cfm)
.......................................................................19.5 (688)
Maximum Air Volume (w/o Pipe) cu. m/min (cfm)
.......................................................................26.7 (943)
Max. Air Velocity m/sec (mph)
..........................................................................91 (203)
Durability Period hrs.
..................................................................................300

From Stihl's website:

AIR FLOW RATE AIR VELOCITY
With Without
Tubes Tubes

1210 m≥/h 1720 m≥/h
(712 cfm) (1012 cfm) 201 mph

From Shindaiwa Site:
EB8510
Dry weight* 24.5 lbs. (11.1 kg)
Nozzle velocity 224 mph
Air volume at nozzle
762 CFM
Air volume at housing 1349 CFM

Dont know how tight the quality control is for (the manufacturers) making these claims but on paper the stihl puts out more cfm. I have not tried the br600 or rm8000... just a little of my own research for my next blower. I am also considering the dozen or so user opinions that the rm is more powerful in the field; which has credibility of it own. The shindaiwa has the best #s on paper but the c4 engines are still a pretty new product without a long term track record.

Thought this was also interesting:
"How long can I expect my Shindaiwa product to last?
Shindaiwa 2-stroke and micro 4-stroke engine technologies are designed to last 1000 plus hours compared to 50 to 100 hours of operation for lower-end mass merchant brands"

I believe Redmax Echo and Stihl are all at 300 hours. Thats a pretty big gap. Dont know how true all this is(could be), just thought it was interesting.

On what paper? Magic paper?

EBZ8000
688 CFM average with standard pipes

BR600
712 CFM max with pipes

Shindawia
762 CFM max @ nozzle

The Shindawia makes more max CFM with tubes than the Stihl.
The RedMax averages almost as much CFM as those can produce wide open.
At max RPM, the RedMax no doubt produces more MAX CFM than BOTH.

RedMax
943 CFM without the pipes

Stihl
Pointless rating because you don't have that option with their tube system.
It doesn't have removable tubes, so 1012 CFM at the housing you can't use.

Shindawia
Again a pointless rating of 1394 CFM at the housing that you can't use.

The 300 hour durability period is ONLY in relation to the EPA certified emissions durabiliy period of 300 hours... a 300 hour emmissions compliance test. This has NOTHING to do with how many hours the machine might last.

With all that said... if you want to buy a BR600, that's fine by me. I wouldn't discourage you from it. A lot of guys have had pretty good experiences with them. You won't hear me complaining about them either.

They have a really great design and a good power to weight ratio. They are also quiet and fuel efficient. Stihl is also an excellent company that generally makes and excellent equipment, and will stand behind it if they didn't. Plus the BR600 is a lot cheaper to boot.

There are lots of good reasons to buy a Stihl BR600.
Fooling yourself into believing they are the baddest blower on the block is not one of them.

When Stihl makes one of these in the 25+ pound weight class with around an 80cc engine and a housing/fan combo to match... then they will be in the runnings.

So will Shindawia if they can design a more effcient tube system. As it stands now, they are loosing about 45% of their max air volume between the housing and the tube tip.

Richard Martin
12-09-2006, 05:01 AM
so will Shindawia if they can design a more effcient tube system. As it stands now, they are loosing about 45% of their max air volume between the housing and the tube tip.

I tried the Shindaiwa and the Stihl at a local equipment show last Jan/Feb. Both manufacturers reps were right there as my buddy and I did a "parking lot test". The Stihl certainly felt like it had more power and all the Shindaiwa rep could do was shrug his shoulders.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
12-09-2006, 10:33 AM
Envy, let's be real here.... why should I believe the Redmax listed " Average CFM" should mean it will blow much harder at wide open throttle? Why would they be so stupid not to list max CFM's unless they are not as high as other competitive units?

Look I am not the ones here saying the BR-600 is the most powerful blower. I have no doubt that the Redmax may move more leaves or debris.... I am just saying that it seems the BR-600 is the better overall package, a better buy if you will.

And what do you mean the tubes can not be removed from the Stihl? I have had my tubes off. They come right off when you loosen the clamp straps that hold them all together. Maybe your making this statement cause the throttle control is on the tubes..... Well that can be slid off the tubes and used without the tubing on the blower. I don't see why anyone would want to use any backpack without the tubes though.....

John Gamba
12-09-2006, 10:39 AM
And what do you mean the tubes can not be removed from the Stihl? I have had my tubes off. They come right off when you loosen the clamp straps that hold them all together. Maybe your making this statement cause the throttle control is on the tubes..... Well that can be slid off the tubes and used without the tubing on the blower. I don't see why anyone would want to use any backpack without the tubes though.....

Doesn't the wire stick out??

Envy Lawn Service
12-09-2006, 06:47 PM
Envy, let's be real here.... why should I believe the Redmax listed " Average CFM" should mean it will blow much harder at wide open throttle? Why would they be so stupid not to list max CFM's unless they are not as high as other competitive units?

Look I am not the ones here saying the BR-600 is the most powerful blower. I have no doubt that the Redmax may move more leaves or debris.... I am just saying that it seems the BR-600 is the better overall package, a better buy if you will.

Well, lord... you can believe what you like I guess.

I'm just telling you, I have plenty of experience with the BR600's and a good bit now with the 8001's.... and when it comes to the CFM part of the specifications, out in the field, the Stihl ain't even close when it comes to moving air volume. That's why I know the spec has to be 688 CFM across the RPM range. If the BR600 makes 712 CFM max at wide open throttle, the 8001 makes way more than that at wide open throttle... trust me. The BR600 is more in line with the PB751 and maybe the EB7001.

About the pipes....

What I mean is, you don't have the option with the BR600 to remove the pipes on the fly and work with it. You have to take the whole assembly off. So there is only one practical way to work with it. With the pipes on, at 712 CFM.

RedMax on the other hand, you can remove the pipes on the fly in sections. It is the only blower I have ever seen that can do the work it can with no pipes. I can remove one or both of the stock pipes and get the max CFM out of it in a wider air stream at a bit slower air speed.

The RedMax pipe system seems to be really efficient. What I mean is, when it comes down to the CFM part, it doesn't seem to cut the air volume down much when you have the pipes on. Changing the pipe configuration seems to alter the pattern and distance of the airstream more than anything. The air volume is reduced a little bit when you add the pipes. But that aspect is not as noticable as the others...

If there was some way I could test the max CFM of the 8001 and post it, I certainly would. I'd test it in all tube configurations too. I'd do the same thing with working force too.

Way back when the 8000 first came out, they sent a unit and a test kit to some green industry publications and invited them to compare anything else on the market. The test kit was some sort of thing that measured the actual working blowing force. It measured how hard a blower could blow and the wind force it could create... not the air speed or how much air it could move... but rather how hard it could push.

Nothing else was close.

HenryB
12-09-2006, 08:04 PM

Ron,
You always have pretty intellegent posts therefore I think you should buy an 8001 compare them and work in the field with both. After that I'm sure your posts about these two blowers will change. Anyone who has both of these find this comparison upsurd. They are both great blowers just in totally different classes.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
12-09-2006, 11:44 PM
Oh yes... the wire! Yeah forgot about that! Truth be told, that wire came loose on the BR-550 and I took the blower apart to rip out the wire. It is held inside the fan housing with a bolt and I couldn't rip out the wire with all my might, till I took the whole thing apart and unbolted it and threw it all away. Never got shocked after I took it out either... well maybe once!

Taking the tubes apart while blowing... Okay I hear you now. Yeah, I did like to take the tube off my old blowers - BR-420 and the others before it - so I could blow into my hand and have the blast redirected at my face while walking back to the truck after a big job, sort of a poor mans airconditioning system! In reality I never really needed to take the tubes apart to use the blower though, and what I found was after a while the tubes would be loose on themselves and you would be blowing and all of a sudden the tube would go flying off! Hated it..... I guess not being able to quickly and easily take the BR-550 and BR-600 tubes off can be a bummer for some folks, but I haven't had a issue with it.

Henry, I know this will sound dumb, but I have a good friend, also a pilot so we know each other through flying NOT the lawn service industry, and this friend owns a popular lawnmower shop in my area. He sells Stihl, Kawasaki, Redmax, Echo - I think echo... - Anyway, he tells me about the newest and greatest stuff on the market when we talk.... When Stihl came out with the BR-600 he couldn't stop bragging about it, because of what he said I and another friend of mine both finally bought one on his advise. He also a few months later bragged alot about some big Kawasaki backpack blower, that he said would more powerful than the Stihl, but by then we were both " sold " on getting Stihl blowers, and I had been happy with my BR-550 so I went with the BR-600 and never even looked at the Kawasaki. What was interesting was when I went to go get my BR-600, I go in his shop and he tells me to pick one up off the wall and take it to the back to get gased up and checked out.... Sitting right under it was one of the Big Redmax blowers, a 8000 or possibly a 8001. I asked him what he thought of the Redmax blowers and he kinda mumbled and made comments to the effect that it was not nearly the blower the other two - the Stihl and the Kawasaki - were. Possibly not power related, but perhaps durability, or some other area he felt the Redmax fell short on. Anyway, the whole point I am driving at is there is no reason for him NOT to brag about the Redmax over the other units unless there was a good reason for it. I have yet to hear him comment on Redmax blowers. I mean why would he tell a friend of his that he should buy a Stihl or a Kawasaki, when he has a Redmax sitting there, if it was that great of a blower?

Maybe I will ask him about the Redmax tomorrow if I see him out while I am flying around. Maybe he will let me demo one. Heck if it is that much more powerful like you guys make it out to be I would like to get one. I am all for a more powerful blower.

Envy Lawn Service
12-10-2006, 01:31 AM
It would be cool if he has a demo you could try.
Then you could see for yourself and understand.

But with the way you do ALL your leaf work... I don't know what you'd use it for.
Large hard surfaces maybe?

Rons Rightway Lawncare
12-10-2006, 10:09 AM
Envy.... I DO blow some leaves here and there! And yes, if the blower has more power it would just make my job of blowing grass clipping off the driveway that much quicker and easier. I like power!!!

John Gamba
12-10-2006, 10:40 AM
Envy.... I DO blow some leaves here and there! And yes, if the blower has more power it would just make my job of blowing grass clipping off the driveway that much quicker and easier. I like power!!!

The one problem i have found with employees and powerful equipment is they try to blow the grass from a distance, this creates a Thatch build up along the driveway and walks, when someone thats does it correctly - they blow a line of dead grass on the lawn.

willider
12-11-2006, 10:45 PM
Did you know that the dealer is not allowed to sell more than one Red Max 8001 blower to any one customer??? They are afraid he might start both blowers at the same time and fly away!!!! Red Max Rules::laugh: :laugh:

LawnMower
12-12-2006, 03:20 PM
I must have a lemon Red Max 8000, because I find the BR600 dose a better job of moving leafs. Well I do have a lemon Red Max, becouse it breaks when you look at it the wrong way. I'm thinking a may have a lemon Red Max 8000 in the power department too.

All my guys and myself included always grab the Stihl BR600 over the Red Max. The Red Max is loud, heavy and vibrates the crap out of ya. The Stihl is small,light, quiet, and doesn't vibrate. I was able to sneak into the center a rhododendron bush and blow out the crap under it. I could never fit in there with the Red Max. I would probably yank out one of the exposed gas lines. Or something else on the beast would snag. The Red Max doesn't even come close to the Stihl for blowing small things out of tight places such as the center of a bush, or a stone wall.

Like others and my self have said earlier, the Stihls air stream is more concentrated then the Red Max.

John Gamba
12-12-2006, 03:46 PM
I must have a lemon Red Max 8000, because I find the BR600 dose a better job of moving leafs. Well I do have a lemon Red Max, becouse it breaks when you look at it the wrong way. I'm thinking a may have a lemon Red Max 8000 in the power department too.

All my guys and myself included always grab the Stihl BR600 over the Red Max. The Red Max is loud, heavy and vibrates the crap out of ya. The Stihl is small,light, quiet, and doesn't vibrate. I was able to sneak into the center a rhododendron bush and blow out the crap under it. I could never fit in there with the Red Max. I would probably yank out one of the exposed gas lines. Or something else on the beast would snag. The Red Max doesn't even come close to the Stihl for blowing small things out of tight places such as the center of a bush, or a stone wall.

Like others and my self have said earlier, the Stihls air stream is more concentrated then the Red Max.

Merry Christmas John:waving: Great Revue

ed2hess
12-12-2006, 06:57 PM
IThe Red Max doesn't even come close to the Stihl for blowing small things out of tight places such as the center of a bush, or a stone wall.
I am testing a BR600 and getting stuff out of tight areas isn't very good on that machine either compared to the BR420. They have got to fix the 600 so you condense the length of the tube like the 420 or at least be able to take it off as you walk along. When cleaning out around someones front door I don't want to be blasting air in around the seal with these monster blowers I want to walk up to the door and blast straight down to get it cleaned up. Many other similar situations on the type of accounts that we service.

John Gamba
12-12-2006, 09:51 PM
I am testing a BR600 and getting stuff out of tight areas isn't very good on that machine either compared to the BR420. They have got to fix the 600 so you condense the length of the tube like the 420 or at least be able to take it off as you walk along. When cleaning out around someones front door I don't want to be blasting air in around the seal with these monster blowers I want to walk up to the door and blast straight down to get it cleaned up. Many other similar situations on the type of accounts that we service.

Blow strait at the door ed??

LawnMower
12-12-2006, 09:59 PM

I'm really tall so even with the BR600 I can point the pipe strait down and not hit the ground. Man I just love this new machine. I think dream about my BR600 more then I dream and think about my girl friend. There both sexy though.

ed2hess
12-12-2006, 10:16 PM
I'm really tall so even with the BR600 I can point the pipe strait down and not hit the ground. Man I just love this new machine. I think dream about my BR600 more then I dream and think about my girl friend. There both sexy though.
My unit must have too many pipes on it, I would have to be 7' tall. John that last statement may get you into the Stihl advertisement literature.

Just Mow
12-12-2006, 10:28 PM
My unit must have too many pipes on it, I would have to be 7' tall. John that last statement may get you into the Stihl advertisement literature.
Ed, the new units will have removeable tubes like the 420. Where did you get the unit to try.

Just Mow
12-12-2006, 10:30 PM
How are you liking the blower Ed.

John Gamba
12-13-2006, 07:54 AM

:laugh: :laugh: dont get mad at me when you blow the door open:laugh: :laugh: :waving:

Just Mow
12-13-2006, 09:54 AM
:laugh: :laugh: dont get mad at me when you blow the door open:laugh: :laugh: :waving:
Maybe they will bring out some cookies :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

John Gamba
12-13-2006, 10:21 AM
Maybe they will bring out some cookies :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Or a shotgun*trucewhiteflag* :laugh: :waving:

Just Mow
12-13-2006, 10:27 AM
Or a shotgun*trucewhiteflag* :laugh: :waving:
Maybe a beer :drinkup:

deereequipment
12-17-2006, 03:10 PM
I only have had Stihl's. Anyone else directly compared the BR600 to redmax or echo?

Envy Lawn Service
12-17-2006, 05:28 PM
I only have had Stihl's. Anyone else directly compared the BR600 to redmax or echo?

YES.... all the top of the line units from all 3 companies.

What would you like to know?

deereequipment
12-18-2006, 07:56 AM
Just like to know which blower you like better.
Which has the most power.
Which is the best deal for the money.

When it comes to doing leaves, I want the most power just
to help make that job a little easier.

thanks in advance for the information.

Richard Martin
12-18-2006, 10:15 AM
deereequipment,

For brute blowing force the Redmax 8001 is the one you want.

For user friendlyness, quietness, light weight and all around good manners the Stihl BR600 is the one you want.

Which one is the best deal? Only you can decide that but both blowers are more than capable for most any job.

John Gamba
12-18-2006, 10:26 AM
deereequipment,

For user friendlyness, quietness, light weight and all around good manners the Stihl BR600 is the one you want.

Which one is the best deal? Only you can decide that but both blowers are more than capable for most any job.

If you can??? get both and be able to do anything:cool2:

Envy Lawn Service
12-18-2006, 10:39 PM
Just like to know which blower you like better.
Which has the most power.
Which is the best deal for the money.

When it comes to doing leaves, I want the most power just
to help make that job a little easier.

thanks in advance for the information.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to get back on here and get back to you sooner.
I have to thank Richard for doing a great job of summing up for me...

deereequipment,

...and to expand upon that, here the BR600 is also a WAY BETTER deal as far as price is concerned. It's a LOT cheaper than the RedMax 8001, 8000 or 7001... and it's a lot cheaper than the Echo PB-755 or PB-751. The pack on your back is also better designed on the Stihl. I call'em TURTLES because that's how they are made.

But the BR600 is closer in line with power to the Echo PB-751 (and maybe the RedMax 7001?). It has the same air speed as all the top blowers, but it doesn't move near the air the 8001's do.

On a personal level... and this is just ME we are talking... every part of my body except the bottoms of my feet like the "feel" of the 8001 and the PB-751. They feel better to me... they just weigh MORE! Beyond that, everything but my right arm and thumb likes the 8001 over the PB-751. The RedMax is just so strong that it can wear your arm and thumb down fanning the tubes for long periods of time. Echo has a little better tube and joystick setup.

Overall, they all seem to be great blowers.
Overall, since October I reach for an 8001 every time.
Overall, I haven't owned RedMax long enough to judge rather they are as durable as Stihl or Echo.

It's best to atleast go try them all on first I think.
Saddle up all three and adjust them properly.
Then consider the dealer of each and parts/service.

You can't really go way wrong with any of the three.
Unless you buy one that is not comfortable to YOU.
Or unless you buy from a lousy dealer.

tcalb2
03-08-2007, 09:18 PM
I just purchased the 600 and i've used it a few times around the house. I'm dieing to use it this spring for clean ups. So far so good.

lawnboy dan
03-09-2007, 02:32 PM
i just got a br600 and for everyday use -its better than the monster red 8000. not quite the brute power but more comfortable to wear on your back for any period of time. for big cleanups-its still goes to the redmax 8000

LawnMower
03-09-2007, 11:00 PM
Iv have both,and under sertain conditions, the BR 600 moves more leaves then the Red Max 8000. Im telling you....its that 2 cycle engine that makes you think its moving more air. There both so close its not even funny. I grab the BR 600 every time.

I resently broke up with my girl friend, but im not heart broken....I still have my Stihl BR 600.

Envy Lawn Service
03-10-2007, 02:37 AM
Iv have both,and under sertain conditions, the BR 600 moves more leaves then the Red Max 8000. Im telling you....its that 2 cycle engine that makes you think its moving more air. There both so close its not even funny. I grab the BR 600 every time.

I resently broke up with my girl friend, but im not heart broken....I still have my Stihl BR 600.

Well, as I have said probably a hundred times now...
The two of them produce a different TYPE OF AIR STREAM.

The BR600 pushes the air stream the same speed in a narrower path, but moves less air volume. The 8001 pushes the air stream the same speed, but does so in a much larger path, and therefore moves way more air volume with more brute force.

The BR600's air stream is more "directed" so it does do a better job at certain things. Like sometimes it gets leaves out of shrubs or tall grass more easily. It does those things that make better use of the directed air stream better. It's also easier to get a pile started or deal with scant leaf cover better with the BR600.

The BR600 just doesn't have the over the top brute strength, force and air volume of the 8001. Like if you have to rock the shrub and force it's branches apart to get the leaves out... the 8001 shows you it's grunt. Same thing when the pile gets big. The 8001 will just keep pushing it... into a huge pile.

You really have to be blowing something that can catch the whole air stream of the 8001 to see the vast difference between them. It's there when the job gets extreme. Light work doesn't harness it's power. So the difference is wasted and you can't realize it.

HERE IS AN EXAMPLE OF HOW TO GET THE BEST OUT OF BOTH OF THEM:

Say you are starting a real big job where you are blowing the leaves from a big estate into it's surrounding woods. I'd send one guy to the house with a BR600 to blow out around the house and shrubs... and to get a pile going all the way around.

Meanwhile, I put on an 8001 and start blowing the parameter. I blow out the edge of the lawn and the edge of the woods all the way around. Up one side, across the back, down the other side, half way across the front.... the split a path right up the middle of the front lawn to the house.

By then the other guy has a mound circle all the way around the house hopefully. I send him to blow the shortest section to the woods, and I start on the one parrallel to that. By the time my section is finished he's to the point of making no headway with his mound of leaves. I go over and relieve him, sending him to the next section. I then push his mound into a wall and push both sections in the woods.

Hopefully we begin to get a rythm cycle going where he's pushing them up to a pile and I'm batting cleanup on the deal. He's blowing what he can productively and I'm finishing off by pushing what he can't.

On the other hand though

lawnboy dan
03-10-2007, 08:42 AM
execellent review

LawnMower
03-10-2007, 01:06 PM
Well, as I have said probably a hundred times now...
The two of them produce a different TYPE OF AIR STREAM.

The BR600 pushes the air stream the same speed in a narrower path, but moves less air volume. The 8001 pushes the air stream the same speed, but does so in a much larger path, and therefore moves way more air volume with more brute force.

The BR600's air stream is more "directed" so it does do a better job at certain things. Like sometimes it gets leaves out of shrubs or tall grass more easily. It does those things that make better use of the directed air stream better. It's also easier to get a pile started or deal with scant leaf cover better with the BR600.

The BR600 just doesn't have the over the top brute strength, force and air volume of the 8001. Like if you have to rock the shrub and force it's branches apart to get the leaves out... the 8001 shows you it's grunt. Same thing when the pile gets big. The 8001 will just keep pushing it... into a huge pile.

You really have to be blowing something that can catch the whole air stream of the 8001 to see the vast difference between them. It's there when the job gets extreme. Light work doesn't harness it's power. So the difference is wasted and you can't realize it.

HERE IS AN EXAMPLE OF HOW TO GET THE BEST OUT OF BOTH OF THEM:

Say you are starting a real big job where you are blowing the leaves from a big estate into it's surrounding woods. I'd send one guy to the house with a BR600 to blow out around the house and shrubs... and to get a pile going all the way around.

Meanwhile, I put on an 8001 and start blowing the parameter. I blow out the edge of the lawn and the edge of the woods all the way around. Up one side, across the back, down the other side, half way across the front.... the split a path right up the middle of the front lawn to the house.

By then the other guy has a mound circle all the way around the house hopefully. I send him to blow the shortest section to the woods, and I start on the one parrallel to that. By the time my section is finished he's to the point of making no headway with his mound of leaves. I go over and relieve him, sending him to the next section. I then push his mound into a wall and push both sections in the woods.

Hopefully we begin to get a rythm cycle going where he's pushing them up to a pile and I'm batting cleanup on the deal. He's blowing what he can productively and I'm finishing off by pushing what he can't.

On the other hand though

Your right, I think iv even mentioned in this thread, that the two blowers have a different airstream. I favored the BR600 because iv had so many problems with the Red Max. Plus I don't think mine is putting out full horse power. Probably just a lemon.

S man
03-25-2007, 11:35 PM
[QUOTE=LawnMower;
I resently broke up with my girl friend, but im not heart broken....I still have my Stihl BR 600.[/QUOTE]

Somebody is into this a little "too much". :laugh:

byoung
04-01-2007, 03:34 PM
I agree COMPLETELY with this last post... You have to use these blowers for what they are good at... and know what that is... Like the last post said, the BR600 is easy to control, but just not all that powerful. And the RM8000 is really strong, but heavy and not that useful for everything. Out in the open, though, it's hard to beat. My Echo stuff won't touch it (755, 751) - when it's working - won't seem to rev up that much... sometimes, but not all the time, which is weird... good gas too.

I used both of these blowers for a long time and to be honest, i got a little frustrated.. For the money, I really expected more. Now I'm using the '472 (Solo) and I have to say, although I had misgivings - that this thing seems to just wail.. It actually has about the same power as my '8000 and a lot more than the BR600, but the airstream is just as easy to direct. I have two of them (and one 470 that I upgraded) and I no longer have this problem of 'which blower will do' sort of thing. AND so far no maintenance issues or recalls either, which is a relief.

Besides with all the posts about the trouble with the BR600 and the Redmax recalls, I don't know.... I don't think I'll go back. I like the tanaka but it shrieks like something out of a bad movie. The Solo's are pretty quiet, and I've got bad ears. In my opinion this is the skinny. My 472 Blasts(!) like the 8000 and is even better than the BR600 at corners, shrubs, etc... and is cheaper, better made etc.

So I'm with all of you on this completely! BR600 good, but the hype is unwarranted, RM8000 is HUGE but overall not the blower that the 7001 was and the 472 is the best of both worlds!

AAXteriors
04-01-2007, 09:00 PM
I agree COMPLETELY with this last post... You have to use these blowers for what they are good at... and know what that is... Like the last post said, the BR600 is easy to control, but just not all that powerful. And the RM8000 is really strong, but heavy and not that useful for everything. Out in the open, though, it's hard to beat. My Echo stuff won't touch it (755, 751) - when it's working - won't seem to rev up that much... sometimes, but not all the time, which is weird... good gas too.

I used both of these blowers for a long time and to be honest, i got a little frustrated.. For the money, I really expected more. Now I'm using the '472 (Solo) and I have to say, although I had misgivings - that this thing seems to just wail.. It actually has about the same power as my '8000 and a lot more than the BR600, but the airstream is just as easy to direct. I have two of them (and one 470 that I upgraded) and I no longer have this problem of 'which blower will do' sort of thing. AND so far no maintenance issues or recalls either, which is a relief.

Besides with all the posts about the trouble with the BR600 and the Redmax recalls, I don't know.... I don't think I'll go back. I like the tanaka but it shrieks like something out of a bad movie. The Solo's are pretty quiet, and I've got bad ears. In my opinion this is the skinny. My 472 Blasts(!) like the 8000 and is even better than the BR600 at corners, shrubs, etc... and is cheaper, better made etc.

So I'm with all of you on this completely! BR600 good, but the hype is unwarranted, RM8000 is HUGE but overall not the blower that the 7001 was and the 472 is the best of both worlds!

I'm a little confussed. I was just looking at the Echo website and the 755 specs are not the same as the the BR 600.

755 cfm: 625. at the tube
BR 600 cfm:712 at the tube

BR 600 has 64.8 cc
755 has 63.3

BR 600: 20.9 dry
755: 24.9

Is the the echo755 actually more powerful than BR 600?

Just Mow
04-01-2007, 11:05 PM
I'm a little confussed. I was just looking at the Echo website and the 755 specs are not the same as the the BR 600.

755 cfm: 625. at the tube
BR 600 cfm:712 at the tube

BR 600 has 64.8 cc
755 has 63.3

BR 600: 20.9 dry
755: 24.9

Is the the echo755 actually more powerful than BR 600?

Not hardly.

AAXteriors
04-01-2007, 11:24 PM
Not hardly.

So the BR 600 is more powerful? I'm looking at getting a new blower and i'm really interested in the BR 600.

Envy Lawn Service
04-02-2007, 04:08 PM

I'd like to try one of those Solo 472's then.

But I've never seen any Solo power equipment.
No, I take that back... I have seen some in Northern Tool catalogs.

Do they have these units, or can a Solo sprayer dealer get them?

Just Mow
04-02-2007, 11:04 PM
So the BR 600 is more powerful? I'm looking at getting a new blower and i'm really interested in the BR 600.

Yes, I have run both and the 600 is more powerful and a whole lot lighter. I have 4 Br600,s with no problems.It has been an excellent blower for me.

AAXteriors
04-02-2007, 11:42 PM
Yes, I have run both and the 600 is more powerful and a whole lot lighter. I have 4 Br600,s with no problems.It has been an excellent blower for me.

Thanks, i'll be checking out the stihl soon.

mountianview
04-24-2007, 01:08 AM
got my br 600 today.really happy so far,picks up moss ,loose soil and everything else can almost dig holes with it.first blower that Ive played with .can't wait to see it get more powerful as it breaks in . big thumbs up from me.

Nik_Danger
04-24-2007, 02:09 AM
I like my BR 340. Its light, fuel efficient and has all the power I need. I use it commercially. I tried a Redmax 8000 earlier this week because I was in the same boat having the wants for something more powerful...after the demo the only thing I could think of was "why spend another $500". I use the Stihl blower open tube...right after the throttle handle the tube is stubbed. It works great. The wet mossy crap wouldn't come up with the EBZ8000 when I tried it. So I guess I will just save for a bigger mower :walking:
I will admit though, the big redmax is a beast of a tool...as far as liking the top of the line stuff. Maybe someday when I find $500 in my couch cushions I will splurge :weightlifter:

LawnMower
04-24-2007, 10:03 AM
The Red Max may seem more powerful because of the 2 cycle engine scream. The BR600 is a 4 cycle and doesn't scream but it blows just as much air.

The Stihl BR600 is the cadillac of blowers.

Envy Lawn Service
04-24-2007, 04:10 PM
The Red Max may seem more powerful because of the 2 cycle engine scream. The BR600 is a 4 cycle and doesn't scream but it blows just as much air.

The Stihl BR600 is the cadillac of blowers.

The BR600 moves air the same speed in a smaller stream.
It does not "blow just as much air" though.

Both are good blowers though, and both have different good qualities about the design, type of air stream, etc... and are quite different in that respect.

Too different to compare to each other in my opinion because they are not the same class of blower due to the above differences...

But when it comes right down to "air movement" as in CFM....
Once an 8001 breaks in... it ain't even close in that department.

The two are closer in every other area than CFM and air stream.

The BR600 is the cadillac of blowers if you are not taller, and not moving serious leaves.
The EBZ8001 is the brute.

jameson
04-24-2007, 04:38 PM
The BR600 is the cadillac of blowers if you are not taller, and not moving serious leaves.
The EBZ8001 is the brute.

I was picking up some parts for my Stihl 025 yesterday and decided to try on the BR600 for size (first time "tryer")... nice machine.

It sat high on my back (I'm 6'1") but felt comfortable, now whether that judgment would remain after a couple of hours of use (think Fall) in the field is another matter.

It is certainly more ergonomic in design than my 8k's and felt lighter (actual difference in weight? I dunno). Could I see myself purchasing one in the future? Absolutely.

lawnboy dan
04-24-2007, 09:38 PM
you can use the br600 all day with no prob. the redmax 8k gets heavy fast. there is about 5 lbs diff

unit40
04-24-2007, 10:13 PM
I think it is as simple as checking the specs.
Stihl BR600 - 712 CFM with tubes - 201 MPH - 20.9 LBS - 64.8 cc
Redmax 8000 - 688 CFM with tubes - 203 MPH - 25.4 LBS - 71.9 cc
Shindaiwa 8510 - 762 CFM with tubes - 224 MPH - 24.5 LBS - 79.7 cc

Envy Lawn Service
04-25-2007, 01:31 AM
I was picking up some parts for my Stihl 025 yesterday and decided to try on the BR600 for size (first time "tryer")... nice machine.

It sat high on my back (I'm 6'1") but felt comfortable, now whether that judgment would remain after a couple of hours of use (think Fall) in the field is another matter.

It is certainly more ergonomic in design than my 8k's and felt lighter (actual difference in weight? I dunno). Could I see myself purchasing one in the future? Absolutely.

It fit's the same way on me.
So does the old 7001.

I find it uncomfortable, and like the way the 8001 fits me much better.
Glad to see someone understands what I'm saying there.

As for the weight.... yeah, it's quite a bit lighter no doubt.
Nice for the small stuff, and it's quieter too.

But if I'm going to wear a backpack any length of time, I'd much rather wear the 8001... and I have a bad back. It's a lot more comfortable to ME despite the weight.

The BR600 with it's high fit on me, and it's narrower straps, and my steep shoulder lines... well I get uncomfortable and annoyed with it after a while. The straps want to run down my shoulder and spread apart and it gets that tip-over feeling on my back (leaning out at the top) BUT NOT NEAR AS BAD AS THE 7001. The BR600 could use a chest clasp.

I wouldn't steer anyone away from purchasing one though.
I think they are great blowers.

Envy Lawn Service
04-25-2007, 01:54 AM
I think it is as simple as checking the specs.
Stihl BR600 - 712 CFM with tubes - 201 MPH - 20.9 LBS - 64.8 cc
Redmax 8000 - 688 CFM with tubes - 203 MPH - 25.4 LBS - 71.9 cc
Shindaiwa 8510 - 762 CFM with tubes - 224 MPH - 24.5 LBS - 79.7 cc

The specs have been beat to death here... and the truth of the matter is they are not even rated the same way... and that's fact.

Stihl CFM is MAX
RedMax CFM is AVERAGE

Being experienced here, my interpretation on 'average' is that it must mean average CFM across the RPM range rather than at max RPM.

I say that because I am telling you... they are literally that far apart in air volume.
And that's no joke.

Like I said up there a couple of posts ago...
The Stihl with move a narrower air stream the same speed... yes...

But no way, no how does it move as much CFM... much less more.

The 8001's move so much air that I'm telling you, these blowers will literally "WORK" with the tubes OFF. Meaning it has enough force and moves enough air that you can use them that way, and not only that but you would be amazed at what it can move in that configuration. Most blowers don't have the power to blow themselves off without their tubes/high speed nozzles.

You think I'm kidding here, but this fall, I'm mounting one to a push cart and taking the throttle section of the pipe off so it's blowing straight out the elbow. I'm going to try it like that as a push blower just because I want to see just what it can do. I don't expect some amazing feat... but my hunch is that it can be par with a small push blower... like a 5hp or something.

unit40
04-25-2007, 05:47 AM
It's subjective vs objective in your case. It's too bad that you bought the less powerful blower and now must convince yourself that you didn't regardless of the real ##s. Trade it in for a Stihl or a Shindaiwa if you want the best.

Richard Martin
04-25-2007, 06:57 AM
Unit40, there are a whole lot of people here that own both blowers. The Redmax 8000 does have higher performance. Read a while and you'll see that.

I've also tried the Shindy head to head with the Stihl and the Stihl won. Maybe there was something wrong with the Shindy I tried but the demo was at a dealer open house and the Shindy rep gave it to me to try out.

The advantage the Stihl has over the Redmax is lower fuel consumption and lighter weight. For all but the worst cleanups the Stihl will do but if you've got a scary bad job to do go with the Redmax.

unit40
04-25-2007, 07:42 AM
My point is there is objective data and there is subjective feelings and beliefs about what is better or more powerful. I don't believe that the individuals who claim that they are experienced and the authority on these matters have over 25 years in the business. A rookie can't see through the smoke and mirrors. Must've rustled some feathers.

jameson
04-25-2007, 10:23 AM
My point is there is objective data and there is subjective feelings and beliefs

Your point is taken. The Stihl is lighter.

However, as Richard M and Envy have made clear, the consensus of owners of both machines, usually give the nod to the 8k in terms of "brute" blowing force.

I do not believe that there are any industry standards that dictate the measuring of CFM's; hence Envy's valid point of the 8k measuring... CFM across the RPM range rather than at max RPM.

FWIW - Envy is not an anti-Stihlite, far from it as I recollect; and has approached the BR600 v 8k debate with an open mind, deliberate and measured in opinion sans emotion.

Since your are a Newbie, I suggest you read the threads pertinent to the subject at hand.

topsites
04-25-2007, 10:35 AM
Yes but I also find the cfm / mhp rating varies from one mfg to the next, so two blowers by two different mfg's with the SAME ratings may or may not blow the same, since there exist no gov't standards to measure the rated stuff so each mfg is left to decide on their own how to do it.

Diagnostics and measuring devices surely differ, I am not saying mfg's are using back street methods to measure but I am saying they're not all using the exact same measuring tools, probably even the testing environment varies somewhat, hence so do the results.

One thing I did find is the ratings are usually consistent within the same mfg's line of products, so a Stihl 200 cfm 200 mph blower would be more powerful than a Stihl 190 cfm 190 mph blower, for example. Things get further confusing once we get into whether 200 cfm 200 mph is more or less powerful than a 190 cfm 210 mph one.

So as for which one is better, you have to decide which one is best for you but I wouldn't beat myself to death if you find one but your dealer does not carry the other, it would appear as if both Redmax and Stihl make an excellent top of the line blower.

unit40
04-25-2007, 01:02 PM
It must suck knowing the backpack blower you just bought and thought was the biggest and baddest machine out there........isn't anymore. Run it over with your truck, blame it on the newbie, and buy a Shidy 8510... Case closed.

mountianview
04-25-2007, 08:40 PM
The dog turds today didn't see any smoke or mirrors,the br 600 removed each and every one.I am very happy with a machine thats well bilt etc hearing protection should be used I got a slight ringing today, no more fun without protection for me.I also have a tempermental back and the 600 didn't hurt at all.Ill need to out grow it before I think about anything that MIGHT BLOW BETTER .

John Gamba
04-25-2007, 08:46 PM
The dog turds today didn't see any smoke or mirrors,the br 600 removed each and every one.I am very happy with a machine thats well bilt etc hearing protection should be used I got a slight ringing today, no more fun without protection for me.I also have a tempermental back and the 600 didn't hurt at all.Ill need to out grow it before I think about anything that MIGHT BLOW BETTER .

Are you still in mass??

Envy Lawn Service
04-26-2007, 01:31 AM
It's subjective vs objective in your case. It's too bad that you bought the less powerful blower and now must convince yourself that you didn't regardless of the real ##s. Trade it in for a Stihl or a Shindaiwa if you want the best.

My point is there is objective data and there is subjective feelings and beliefs about what is better or more powerful. I don't believe that the individuals who claim that they are experienced and the authority on these matters have over 25 years in the business. A rookie can't see through the smoke and mirrors. Must've rustled some feathers.

QUOTE=unit40;1806688]It must suck knowing the backpack blower you just bought and thought was the biggest and baddest machine out there........isn't anymore. Run it over with your truck, blame it on the newbie, and buy a Shidy 8510... Case closed.[/QUOTE]

Look... I don't know what part of this it is that you do not understand...

I'm no newbie. I'm speaking from field experience.

I currently own or have owned all the "big-boy" blowers.
I even got some of the very first RedMax 8001's off the assembly line by special request.
MFG'd September '06... took delivery October '06.

So I have field experience with all of the big-boys, and the past ones also...
All of them but the Shin 8510... which doesn't interest me in the least.
The local Shin dealer won't even stock them.
He stocks everything else Shin but...

He tried it, but they don't sell.

Everybody but the die-hard Shin-Only people buy the BR600 from him instead...
And the die-hard Shin-Only people buy the EB630's for their big blowers.
(great blower also)

So anyways, Richard and Jameson are right...

Unit40, there are a whole lot of people here that own both blowers. The Redmax 8000 does have higher performance. Read a while and you'll see that.

I've also tried the Shindy head to head with the Stihl and the Stihl won. Maybe there was something wrong with the Shindy I tried but the demo was at a dealer open house and the Shindy rep gave it to me to try out.

The advantage the Stihl has over the Redmax is lower fuel consumption and lighter weight. For all but the worst cleanups the Stihl will do but if you've got a scary bad job to do go with the Redmax.

Your point is taken. The Stihl is lighter.

However, as Richard M and Envy have made clear, the consensus of owners of both machines, usually give the nod to the 8k in terms of "brute" blowing force.

I do not believe that there are any industry standards that dictate the measuring of CFM's; hence Envy's valid point of the 8k measuring...

FWIW - Envy is not an anti-Stihlite, far from it as I recollect; and has approached the BR600 v 8k debate with an open mind, deliberate and measured in opinion sans emotion.

Since your are a Newbie, I suggest you read the threads pertinent to the subject at hand.

I'm no anti-Stihl guy, that's for sure... or did you miss my big banner? I ran Sthil exclusively for several years (except for BIG blowers) and after the BR600 came out I was all for that too. AND, before that, I ran Shindawia exclusively for several years (except for saws).

So you are barking up the wrong tree on both counts.

To be truthful about it, I'm not anti any brand of 2 cycle equipment labled commercial except for Husqvarna... which is a total subject all it's own...

To me, all the rest of them have respectable stuff.
Can't go wrong with any of it.

In the end, I only strayed away from Shin because it got too hard to get parts for 'my' stuff in "MY AREA" and I only strayed away from Shin for saws because Stihl was way better. CASE CLOSED. Went to Stihl for everything, problem solved.

I only strayed away from Stihl for blowers because there was a long dry spell there between the BR420 release and the BR600 release. Echo was tearing them up in the big blower market and they were available to me from the same dealer.

I only strayed from Stihl over to RedMax for a single trimmer (replaced 4 year old FS85) because Stihl dropped the FS85 in favor of the new 4-Mix, and because I like the 8001 blowers better and they are stronger.

I am not anti 4-Mix either, as I have a BR600. I think the engines are great and I've been one of the biggest supporters here of the BR600 and the 4-mix engine. But let's face it here... it's relatively new and still getting ironed out some. So while I like them and I'm for them... that doesn't mean I want a whole shed full of them at once just yet.

Anyways, when it comes to brute strength and CFM, the 8001's rule the roost.

When it comes to the blower market as a whole, RedMax rules the roost right now.

Face it dude... RedMax currently has 4 of the top 10 blowers on the market.

EBZ8001, EBZ8000, EBZ7001, EB7001

And all 10 or 11 of their blower offerings are in the top 20 or 25.

That's hard to argue with.

Nik_Danger
04-26-2007, 02:14 AM
right on dude!!!

unit40
04-26-2007, 07:42 AM
No doubt about that. No point in purchasing a backpack blower that I can rake faster than. The Redmaxes are #1 in sales so far, and backpacks are getting more powerful each year. I just wish that my old 6200s will get run over or majically turn into something brand new. Can't believe young kids get so emotional over this issue. Like fighting over which Powerwheels 12 volt is faster. Why don't you just have a race.

unit28
04-26-2007, 08:35 AM
I didn't want to read all 13 pages so.....
Just buy what the dealer nearest you services.

I would never go out of my way to have to drive for a fn machine that wil do the same as the next one.

although be sure and
BUY AMERICAN

drmiller100
04-27-2007, 11:03 PM
so i have an echo 650, redmax 7000, and now 8001.

the 8001 is a different kind of blow. It is the bigblock of blowers. It moves a LOT of air, pretty danged fast.

I believe there is a small block something out there, mebbe even a good running echo, that will blow wet leaves better then the 8001.

The 8001 has a HUGE wide, air stream. It blows stuff a long ways out in front of you due to the sheer amount of air it moves. But, maybe something else moves a lot less air somewhat faster in a more concentrated stream.

another example. the 8001 is a firehydrant hose. The 650 is a pressure washer. While the 8001 is pushing children and their bicyles 2 blocks down teh street, the 650 is doing a better job of getting individual gum pieces off a sidewalk.

in a parking lot, the 650 will push a half cup of 1/4 inch rocks around. The 8001 will push a quart around, and much further.

Envy Lawn Service
04-28-2007, 12:06 AM
so i have an echo 650, redmax 7000, and now 8001.

the 8001 is a different kind of blow. It is the bigblock of blowers. It moves a LOT of air, pretty danged fast.

I believe there is a small block something out there, mebbe even a good running echo, that will blow wet leaves better then the 8001.

The 8001 has a HUGE wide, air stream. It blows stuff a long ways out in front of you due to the sheer amount of air it moves. But, maybe something else moves a lot less air somewhat faster in a more concentrated stream.

another example. the 8001 is a firehydrant hose. The 650 is a pressure washer. While the 8001 is pushing children and their bicyles 2 blocks down teh street, the 650 is doing a better job of getting individual gum pieces off a sidewalk.

in a parking lot, the 650 will push a half cup of 1/4 inch rocks around. The 8001 will push a quart around, and much further.

Thanks...

That's what I have been trying to tell these boys about the 8001's.

When it comes to CFM (the amount of air volume moved) it's out there by itself.
Those other blower are not even close on that part.

The 688 CFM spec is "average cfm" across the RPM range.
At high RPM it does every bit of the 900+ CFM advertised... and then some probably.

Anyways man, wait until you have put 5 gallons or so through it....
You haven't seen anything yet compared to when it comes alive after break-in.

Oh.... and just so you know, if you like the pinpoint air stream, RedMax sells an accessory nozzle for them. I haven't seen them yet, but I'm going to order one hoping that it's a curved tube. I imagine it will make the airstream tighter for certain work, but I also imagine it will make the air stream WAY above 200 mph... like 225-250 mph... and give your arm even more of a workout than it's already getting.

drmiller100
04-28-2007, 12:22 AM
i don't think i need the accessory nozzle.

we do a lot of parking lots with a street sweeper.

the thing blows a full pepsi can 30 feet in 1 second. we cover a LOT of country with it, and for what i do, the air speed is just right.

it was hard to get used to blowing soooooo far in front of you. i'm used to blowing 5 feet away. most efficient is 10-20 feet away.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
04-28-2007, 12:30 AM
They are turbo nozzles, they are round and the hole is smaller around $15 bucks.

Envy Lawn Service
04-28-2007, 01:53 AM
They are turbo nozzles, they are round and the hole is smaller around $15 bucks.

Does it have a curve in it?

Or better yet, do you have one and a picture of it?

Envy Lawn Service
04-28-2007, 02:18 AM

the thing blows a full pepsi can 30 feet in 1 second. we cover a LOT of country with it, and for what i do, the air speed is just right.

it was hard to get used to blowing soooooo far in front of you. i'm used to blowing 5 feet away. most efficient is 10-20 feet away.

LOL... it's a brute...

It's so different that I found it a bit 'trying' to get used to also.
How wide it blows... how hard it blows... and how far away ot blows...

You can take the tubes off to work closer and blow things some less far away...
But removing the tubes just increases the CFM and the width of the air stream.

You can also remove the tip, or remove the middle tube and put the tip back on.
As you can tell, I swap my tubes around a lot depending on what I am doing.

Just wait until this fall when it's up to full power and you are trying to blow leaves with it. It blows so hard and far it's hard to get a piled row started to really take advantage of the blowers power. At first I was getting frustrated as hell with it. Just takes a little getting used to.

In bushy places where it's tight, I'd rather use the turtle shaped BR600 to blow out around the structures and get a pile started. Then finish up with the 8001.

Your Echo 650 you have... it's basically the same thing as the 751 and 755, just in different 'trim'. Your 650 and 7000 are more in the class of the BR600...

And these guys are on here trying to 'compare' them to the 8001. :confused: :nono: :rolleyes:

They are all great blowers and I like them all.
But to try to compare them to the 8001 is obsurd.

They might blow at the same air speed.
But they don't come close to moving as much air volume as hard, wide and far.

If I had a digital camcorder, I'd film them all at work side-by-side in the leaves this fall and put all this crap to bed.

drmiller100
04-28-2007, 12:45 PM
so when we are blowing away from curbs we idle it.

again, at full power, the big trick is to blow further away from you. instead of walking around blowing 5 feet in front of you, you are blowing 15 feet away. doesn't sound like much, but you can cover ground 3 times faster with the 8001 then the baby blowers.

this sucks if you are working by the hour, but the big boys bid the job.

on parking lots, i gross 300 an hour, but i do that by giving a fixed cost of cleaning the parking lots, and coming back middle of night when no one is watching. a 6 car parking lot with a winters worth of sand, highway gravel, and dirt takes me 20 minutes, and i charge 150 bucks. a kid with a broom and shovel would take 2 days.

drmiller100
04-28-2007, 12:54 PM
on the nozzle, you really don't want a curve. again, you aren't going to be blowing 3 feet in front of you. you are blowing 10-15 feet away. besides, any curve at all would rib the tube out of your hands because of the sideways thrust.

if your arm is hurting from hanging on, you are working too hard. move the holder handle further forward. let the tube push back on itself, so the tube supports itself. you just direct where the end goes.

we have a ride around vacuum sweeper. with ear phones on each tool, it is a total wash as to which is less work. walk around with the blower, or ride around on your bottom on the sweeper. the sweeper takes more concentration to keep your lines and not dent something, the blower you have to stand up.

rough duty.

i've got a 5 foot 1 lady that runs the big blower. she can't hold her purse and pick it up at the same time, but she doesn't mind running it. once it is strapper onto her back, she can hold her purse while running it.

Envy Lawn Service
04-28-2007, 03:17 PM
Well, when I say I'm getting sore from them, I mean like from running them all day long during leaf season. Then my arm and my thumb gets sore. This is from fanning the nozzle back and forth.

What I learned is that these blowers are so stout that you want to limit that when you can. They blow so hard that the tube wants to stay straight in whatever position it was in when you reved it up. As long as you are only rotating the elbow, you can sweep it some but thats it.

Now I don't know about yours, but on mine it seems like the tab-stop for the elbow stops it a bit early and shy of dead ahead..... so anything from there to farther left... forgetaboutit... You're not easily going to flex that flex tube. Not without letting off the throttle first.

I'll admit that at first I was like... this tube setup sucks... it's not near as nice as the Echo's. It's not nice and flexable and yada-yada-yada. Well I thought that until I ran an 8001 totally out of gas on my back. Then I realized the tube flex wasn't stiff at all, and I felt like a dummy... LOL

drmiller100
04-28-2007, 03:54 PM
i move it around some, and twist my body some.

it isn't like you can stand in one spot for 5 minutes and be productive. you can stand somewhere for 5 seconds, and everything around you is GONE!!!!!!!!!!! then you need to move along and find something else to blow away.

ed2hess
04-28-2007, 07:28 PM

We moved away from using Echo 650 and Stihl BR600 on parking lots and went to a 13hp Billygoat walkbehind. Now one guy with a lighter unit like a BR420 and one guy with the Billygoat can do what three guys couldn't do before. The big heavy ujnits are just not big enough when the wind is blowing and they are too darn heavy to use the rest of the day on residential.

sdelorey494103
04-28-2007, 07:31 PM
How much horse power does the br600 have?

genesis215
11-22-2008, 03:06 PM
Watch this video. It confirms your findings, Lawn Mower. Redmax is close, but not quite there. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEePijBdgJw

Tyler7692
11-22-2008, 04:39 PM
[QUOTE=LawnMower;1640172]My gas cap came off the other day and I drenched the back of my pants and boots with the full tank of gas. There wasn't a drop left in the tank. I didn't realize until I slipped on the pavement with the gas/oil mix. The fumes gave me a head ache and eventually started turning my stomach.QUOTE]

I call BS... not to mention this story is pitiful.

Kelly's Landscaping
11-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Nice video makes a real strong case sorta confirmed what I already knew.

johnnybravo8802
11-24-2008, 01:09 AM

The weight difference is about 6 pounds which is huge. The tapered nozzle is the key. If you remember, the only difference between the BR400 and the BR 420C Magnum was the tapered nozzle-a 20% increase in power. Don't let your workers drag the nozzle on the ground and wear it down or you'll lose 20% of your power. I'm talking nozzles, not 2 cycle versus 4 Mix.

Richard Martin
11-24-2008, 04:52 AM
If you remember, the only difference between the BR400 and the BR 420C Magnum was the tapered nozzle-a 20% increase in power.

The C model was also the first one with a catalitic convertor. I remember a huge weight difference between the 2 mufflers. I swapped the mufflers because the C seemed to be down in power compared to older models.

weasel
11-24-2008, 10:27 PM
I dont have either of these blowers. I plan on buying the Redmax 8000 next fall.

Just going by the stats, the Redmax blows 231 more cfm of air volume. It also blows that greater volume at 203 mph compared to Stihls 201.

It has 71.9 cc's as compared to Stihl's 64.8. It has 30 ounces greater fuel capacity over Stihl.

The BR600 is lighter by nearly 5 lbs. I would guess it is also quieter and has better emissions.

Just going by the stats, the Redmax 8000 is the more powerful blower.
Don't trust those stats I've had them both and the BR600 >>IS>>more powerful and try to demo them both

CAT powered
11-25-2008, 12:10 AM
Yes the STIHL gas caps suck, but if you check them before you pick up the blower to make sure they're on right you won't have an issue.

I'm speaking here as the owner of a BR600.

I was looking at the Redmax website and it says that they have air from the fan housing to cool the operator. That seems like a bad idea to me. Simply because most of the time when you're blowing all day it's cold enough out already and you don't want more air blowing on you. I know that I got FROZEN the other day running my BR600 with 2 sweatshirts and a pair of gloves on so I'd imagine you'd be a Popsicle if that system on the RedMax works like they say it does.

I really don't think you can go wrong with either blower. They'll both get the job done. If you need more power than a BR600 or an 8001 then you should be looking into something other than a backpack blower. Sometimes I find that the 600 has too much power for what I am doing. For example if I'm trying to blow out a bed the 600 will blow away a lot of mulch even at idle.

To the guy in this thread that felt like the 600 was pulling away from his back at the top: The STIHL straps are adjustable at the top and bottom. If it's loose in the top then pull the top straps tighter.

johnnybravo8802
11-25-2008, 12:30 AM
We moved away from using Echo 650 and Stihl BR600 on parking lots and went to a 13hp Billygoat walkbehind. Now one guy with a lighter unit like a BR420 and one guy with the Billygoat can do what three guys couldn't do before. The big heavy ujnits are just not big enough when the wind is blowing and they are too darn heavy to use the rest of the day on residential.
I'm really considering a 9 hp Billygoat because I can't see why anyone would need a 13 hp for parking lots. I used to have a 9 hp Little Wonder and it did a great job. Also, the price difference is a chunk. What is your opinion?