PDA

View Full Version : Crazy E-Bay prices

nobagger
11-28-2006, 06:03 PM
Is it just me or do 75% of the prices on e-bay (for mower's) seem ridiculous? I looked at a few Exmark's and they were both well over 3 years old and the prices were up to and over 4-5k and looked road hard and put away wet. Why would you spend 5k on a used beat up possible POS when you could buy new for another 2k.:confused: If you didnt have the extra 2k then put that 4 or 5k down on a new unit and your payments would only be, I would think $100 bucks or so.

walker/redmax
11-28-2006, 06:28 PM
It seems that around this time of year the prices on Ebay start to go way up but come midsummer they drop quite a bit and you can get some decent deals on stuff.:drinkup:

crzymow
11-28-2006, 07:02 PM
that seems like it should be the other way around, i would think most people would want to buy in the spring and that would raise the prices, this time of year you have to make room for another mower. the only reason i can see for it is people need to buy some things for the write off

topsites
11-28-2006, 07:08 PM
I suspect the fact that ebay is highly popular has a lot to do with it.

Idealtim
11-28-2006, 09:04 PM
I was looking for a used lazer(750hrs. or under) for next spring and I looked on ebay just for prices and I thought I was screwed for under $4000.00. But over the last few months deals have come up locally that put ebays prices to shame.

Ron's Lawncare
11-29-2006, 07:27 AM
i sell my hand-held stuff after a couple years on ebay. it's amazing what you can get for it.

dwlah
11-29-2006, 09:30 AM
Ive seen motorcycle stuff go for more than what I can go buy it at the local dealer for
As always youve got to know what your looking at and what its worth

gandk06
11-29-2006, 10:05 AM
People get wrapped up in auctions on Ebay. They get it in their head they are not going to let someone else get what they want. Great for the seller. Just don't let the crazy buyer be you.:hammerhead:

Total.Lawn.Care
11-29-2006, 10:10 AM
I have been trying to get a used BR600 on Ebay. With shipping, they are going for only $100 less then brand new. That is crazy...

Ron's Lawncare
11-29-2006, 11:29 AM
I have been trying to get a used BR600 on Ebay. With shipping, they are going for only $100 less then brand new. That is crazy...

i was watching a Redmax eb7001 that was seized and for parts. it went for 150.00 including shipping. that's crazy this is why i sell my stuff off after a couple seasons. i get 75% of what i paid for it and always have reliable stuff.

AintNoFun
11-29-2006, 12:15 PM
aint that the truth. i went to a lot of municipal truck/equipment auctions this year and after seeing what some people buy for the amount of money they spend it mind blowing! your better of going to a dealer and getting a decent warranty for what people spend..

People get wrapped up in auctions on Ebay. They get it in their head they are not going to let someone else get what they want. Great for the seller. Just don't let the crazy buyer be you.:hammerhead:

PROCUT1
11-29-2006, 12:26 PM
I was about to comment the opposite. I have been discouraged to sell my stuff on ebay because it seemed to me that equipment was going pretty cheap.

I did notice a lot of the "handheld" stuff did seem to get bid up there pretty high but the bigger equipment seemed to not move.

Locally a 3-4 year old Z you would definately see 4k+ for. Thats less than half the price of a new one. Yet on ebay if you were around 4k it would just sit there.

nobagger
11-29-2006, 01:02 PM
I was about to comment the opposite. I have been discouraged to sell my stuff on ebay because it seemed to me that equipment was going pretty cheap.

I did notice a lot of the "handheld" stuff did seem to get bid up there pretty high but the bigger equipment seemed to not move.

Locally a 3-4 year old Z you would definately see 4k+ for. Thats less than half the price of a new one. Yet on ebay if you were around 4k it would just sit there.

Well, even then a 3-4 year old machine that has lets say 1400hrs on it, to me that machine is 70% used up. Now thats going by the estimates of 2000 hrous life expectancy. And yeah you can replace a motor but their around $1500.00 just for the motor plus the labor is I would guess around $500.00 to install it. So you buy a used mower for say 5k and 1-2 years later you replace the motor plus some odd's and end's thats 2000.00 plus the 5k so now your at the price of a new mower. I don't know, these prices just seem out of line for what they are selling.

PROCUT1
11-29-2006, 01:41 PM
I see your point there too.....It does suck though to spent almost $10,000 for a mower only for it to be worth $3000 a couple years later.

Another reason I got out of mowing.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
11-29-2006, 09:08 PM
Crazy comments going on in here....

I sold a friend of mine who has a lawnservice business, two of my old Bobcat 61 inch mowers... One with a Kohler and the other with a Kawasaki. He got 4000 hours out of the Kawasaki, and the Kohler is still going, and that mower has over 6000 hours on it. The mowers themselves have needed repairs from time to time, but they are still out there working and making him money. I sold both to him with around 1200-1500 hours on them at time of sale.

1400 hours if maintained properly is nothing for a good commercial mower.

It is amazing that some people think that a mower that is used should sell for next to nothing... These are tools and if you take care of a tool it should have a good value.

My Scag I am selling has 1300 hours on it and the dealer and mechanics all tell me that the mower is in better shape than most of the mowers they see that only have a few hundred hours on them... in other words it has been taken care of. A new mower like the one I am selling is over 9 grand on sale, maybe you get one for a little less if you find a dealer willing to sell at his cost. I have mine for sale for 5500$ or best offer, I think that is very fair... A new one with tax would set you back close to 10 grand. So I have mine for sale close to half of what a new one costs, and I KNOW my mower is far from halfway it's useful life.

PROCUT1
11-30-2006, 10:24 AM
Ron

You said what I didnt have the time to type....haha

topsites
11-30-2006, 10:49 AM
Some of it really is supply and demand...
The other part someone else mentioned is folks get stuff in their heads, and I could add myself being guilty of it, one gets on ebay with a sort of expectation of getting something for nothing.
The same holds true for all auctions... I bought my D-250 at an auction, but I paid Kelly Blue Book for it, it wasn't free, and it cost no less than if I had bought it from someone else.
Auctions are simply another market, and as a rule you might find a special deal but you will look long and hard for it, and most of the time one can expect to pay fair street price.
Thou I do agree, ebay equipment prices tend to be on the high side.

i was watching a Redmax eb7001 that was seized and for parts. it went for 150.00 including shipping. that's crazy this is why i sell my stuff off after a couple seasons. i get 75% of what i paid for it and always have reliable stuff.

Yeah but you guys gotta figure, too...

Now I don't know about redmax, but with a Stihl blower, each HALF of the plastic turbofan shroud costs 80 dollars as a part from the dealer (I know this from replacing the one that cracked when I ran over it :laugh:)

So then I am sure the nozzles ain't cheap, and then there's the throttle thingamajig, the carb, the fuel tank, the straps, the frame...
If I really needed several parts, I just might could see doing that.

What IS crazy is that a machine in parts costs a LOT more than the whole dang thing :laugh:

Ron's Lawncare
11-30-2006, 12:09 PM
Some of it really is supply and demand...
The other part someone else mentioned is folks get stuff in their heads, and I could add myself being guilty of it, one gets on ebay with a sort of expectation of getting something for nothing.
The same holds true for all auctions... I bought my D-250 at an auction, but I paid Kelly Blue Book for it, it wasn't free, and it cost no less than if I had bought it from someone else.
Auctions are simply another market, and as a rule you might find a special deal but you will look long and hard for it, and most of the time one can expect to pay fair street price.
Thou I do agree, ebay equipment prices tend to be on the high side.

Yeah but you guys gotta figure, too...

Now I don't know about redmax, but with a Stihl blower, each HALF of the plastic turbofan shroud costs 80 dollars as a part from the dealer (I know this from replacing the one that cracked when I ran over it :laugh:)

So then I am sure the nozzles ain't cheap, and then there's the throttle thingamajig, the carb, the fuel tank, the straps, the frame...
If I really needed several parts, I just might could see doing that.

What IS crazy is that a machine in parts costs a LOT more than the whole dang thing :laugh:

i agree if you need the parts that might be an ok deal. but to buy it just to have it it wasn't worth it to me.