PDA

View Full Version : New toy...

KirbysLawn
06-22-2001, 09:58 PM
Check out my new toy. Won on Ebay and will pick up in Atlanta next week before the Braves game. Plan is to target 2 exclusive neighborhoods that have Bermuda fronts and fescue backs, maybe and untapped market around here. If all works out hope to upgrade to Toro, National or TruCut. We will see....

http://www.iautomate.com/images/mower.jpg

Eric ELM
06-22-2001, 10:06 PM
You get all the Boy Toys Ray. :D

Let us know how this venture turns out. Sounds like a good idea.

coalburner
06-22-2001, 10:18 PM
I was wondering does it have a solid roller in the back or just two wheels? How does it stripe? I was thinking about the manual push model for myself. I have a very small front yard.

"Homeowner"

PS That yard looks great!

George aka coalburner

TLS
06-22-2001, 10:21 PM
Ray,

When that picture was halfway loaded, I said "boy, looks like Ray got a McLane Edger just like mine" as your handles and such are exactly the same as their edgers. Now if you pull that chain guard off the side and install an edger blade......Nah just kidding. Good luck with it!

KindGardener
06-22-2001, 11:31 PM
That looks a lot like MY McLane 21" - but without the scratches & chips. Cuts real nice, so long as the turf is smooth (so it doesn't bounce).

Mind my asking what didja pay for it? One bonus of living in SoCal is that they are made here & I see a lot of 'em for sale (used) in the paper, if you're patient, you can get a newer one for a great price.

coalburner - yes it has a wide (about 12") "drive" roller in the center back.

If you can get by with a 21", instead of a 25, the it's a good machine & a lot less than a Tru-Cut.

coalburner
06-22-2001, 11:42 PM
Something tells me that the push model doesn't have a roller in the back...http://www.reelmowersetc.com/pushgree.gif

cantoo
06-22-2001, 11:57 PM
Kirby, I just picked up a Bunton reel mower. It has a Kubota diesel on it with 1000 hrs on it. It cuts about 60" with 3 reels and everything seems to work good. I bought it at an auction sale ( of course) it was formally used by the city. I am likely going to resale it or redo it into a sell propelled sprayer and maybe mount my aerator on it too. It has hydraulic lift which would be real handy for the aerator. It also has a nice fast ground speed.

David Gretzmier
06-23-2001, 12:16 AM
never thought i'd see people getting IN to reel mowing. I had one of these a while back and was constantly fixing, sharpening, adjusting, Just to mow MY bermuda lawn. I'll admit it was smooth and got compliments, but I gave up spending 2 hours to mow twice a week. Good luck and I hope people will pay the premium price for the premium look/. Dave g

Esby
06-23-2001, 01:19 AM
I wonder what our fellow member, powerreel thinks of this machine? Is it a good one?

KirbysLawn
06-23-2001, 02:02 AM
It's a cheap one compaired to some, I'm sure he will validate that. I paid $430 for this one, I'm testing the water in this market before I invest big $$$ in a better one. The area I plan targeting is million+ homes & most want their lawns looking the best! With proper equipment & care I feel I can convince more when they see the difference.

Ray

LAWNGODFATHER
06-23-2001, 02:12 AM
hey I've got a '54 National reel mower
I actualy bought it for the engine when I was 8 in '78 for $20 bucks and one of my neibors wanted me to cut his yard with it I have it set at 5/8 of an inch

now I'm 30 and it still runs with the original engine it's got a Clinton rebuilt it in auto shop in school got an A+

I have three yards we cut with it and the Country club up the street lets me sharpen it there

I get $70 for each of the 3- 3/4 acre yard that we mow with it and they look damn good cut by it
and yes there is a market for them if i had the time i would sell it to them but i will keep it at 3 for now

and I know you can get top $ no one around will cut with one

Tropical Trim
06-23-2001, 04:38 AM
Hey that mower will put out a fine looking cut. We use those on our bermuda and zoysia lawns. No other type of mower will beat the finish cut look of a reel mower. Also notice how fast the grass will spread and blanket in areas that used to be leggy. Great investment. I would recommend checking out the oringinal trimmer brand reel mower. We also use these and the looks,durability,and handling seems alot better than the Mclane. It also comes in a 25" cutting width and with a 5.5 Honda. What a machine!

awm
06-23-2001, 07:40 AM
looks like that machine means premium rates.
let us know after a while if its working out.

kutnkru
06-23-2001, 10:40 PM
Ray I realize that pricing structures vary, but here in Ny we have started a crew cutting with just 21" trim mowers for those clients who wish to have a lawn recover after being tore up by Z Riders.

The average lawn will go for $2-4/m sf depending on size and for the new market you wish to target we are getting $5-7/m sf. Say a 10/m sf property would cost $35 with deck mowers, we would now charge them $55 for the trim mowers. Sounds like a hell of a deal to me!!!

One other thing you may want to consider is trying to become affiliated with a greens installer. There are more and more golfers having personal putting greens installed in their backyards these days. They obviously need a reel to have it cut every other day and you now have that reel. Just some food for thought.

Good Luck!
Kris

KirbysLawn
06-23-2001, 11:20 PM
Kris, good thought about the greens, have'nt thought of that. :) One neighborhood is on a TPC course with homes in the millions, so I'm sure there would be a market for that.

Tropical Trim, the 25" Honda version is on Ebay right now, it's in Texas so shipping would be a little more otherwise I would get that one, I'm driving to Atlanta here this one is so that worked out great.

Ray

Runner
06-24-2001, 01:45 PM
Don't you have to always bag with those mowers with the fromt catcher that comes with those? I tested on one time for a few feet, and the clippings, since they were thrown out the front, just started to build up heavier and heavier in the front. Is it possible to cut with these and NOT pick up?

KirbysLawn
07-05-2001, 12:19 AM
Well, last weekend while in Atlanta spent Saturday at Stone Mtn, Braves game Sunday, and picked up the mower. Looks brand new, had all paperwork and still has one year on the warranty, cranks on 1st pull and runs great. Putting the finishing touches on a new flyer, will update results!

Island Lawn
07-05-2001, 07:09 AM
VERY much looking foward to hearing more!
I've got a few Bermuda and Zoysia lawns.
I've already educated them that I dont have the best equipment for the turf. It would be a natural transition to be able to offer them a reel cut.

I guess you gotta bag since your clipping, not mulching.
Otherwise, you would be leaving tall cippings on top of the turf.

BUT, if your cutting every 2-3 days, maybe the clippings are small enough to just let drop.

I don't see a bag in the pix!

TurfGuyTX
01-15-2005, 11:55 AM
Any updates for us?