PDA

View Full Version : Racoons and Gel Caps

gusbuster
06-22-2001, 10:28 PM
How do any of you guys solve this problem. Racoons are stealing my wire nut gel caps that I use to waterproof my wiring job. I already tried cyan pepper and even pepper spray. Any suggestion???? This is only happening on one job site. Oh by the way, this is an above ground valve install. Boxing it is not an option due client wishes.

Minus the caps, wires cross and blow the fuses on the timer. It's been real hot and windy so the landscape is drying up fast.

John

greens1
06-23-2001, 10:04 AM
I put mothballs in valve boxes to keep mice from chewing through the wires in winter.

Are the valves simply stuck out in the open for everyone to see?

Jim L

racerdave
06-23-2001, 10:23 AM
I would recommend that you solder them along with using shrink tube. That way, all curious varmits will leave them alone.

I use a butane soldering gun.
David

racerdave
06-23-2001, 12:11 PM
you could also use stak-ons. but I don't think they would look as nice as shrink tube.

EarthWorks
06-23-2001, 08:05 PM
Butt connectors and shrink tube.

motivated1
06-24-2001, 01:23 PM
Wire-nuts, tampons, 3m tape, tiestraps. solved. Matthew L I 8050

gusbuster
06-25-2001, 05:55 PM
thank guys for the responses, sorry wasn't any faster. Had a little accident while unloading some equipment last saturday,fractured my elbo.

I went to a different way of waterproofing the connectors. So far, no problems. I do thinkg that the owner did manage to trap the coon that was causing the trouble though.

Thanks for the responses
John