PDA

View Full Version : How do you STORE TOOLS ? + Photo

mdvaden
11-29-2006, 07:00 PM
I couldn't seem to find a forum that fit tool storage. Lawn care seemed likely, but everybody seems to talk about power equipment.

This week, I started a web page on tool storage, talking about benefits of keeping tools organized.

The page is here: http://www.mdvaden.com/storage.shtml

And here's one of the two images - these hangers have worked out the best for me for shovels and various hand tools. Signs haven't hurt.

What efficient methods do other people utilize for equipment or product storage? ANY PHOTOS?
:waving:

paponte
11-29-2006, 08:30 PM
We use the same hooks, Home Depot specials. I have also found that color coding crews helps out a bunch. We all know what happens when someone loses a tool, they just take the next guys. Now each crew is responsible for their colors. :)

mdvaden
11-29-2006, 08:59 PM
Maybe Home Depot is where I got those.

Lowe's doesn't have them. Good thing I kept them during our move south. Home Depot is building here now. Hopefully they will stock those.

On the tool color codes, do you do that for just hand tools, or for small gas equipment too?

ed2hess
11-29-2006, 10:25 PM
We store ours in the back end of every pickup......all piled on top of one another. Every kind of tool you will need is in the pile somewhere. It don't cost much for this method.

Az Gardener
11-30-2006, 09:09 AM
We store ours in the back end of every pickup......all piled on top of one another. Every kind of tool you will need is in the pile somewhere. It don't cost much for this method.

Hess did you used to work for me ? Sounds like some of my old labor logic. This is the most expensive method, calculate your additional labor sorting through the pile, its the method that keeps on costing. Not to mention the rakes always get bent up. Who can forget the occasional bonk in the head as the tool on the bottom you need finally breaks loose and what ever is on top of it thumps you. Then there is the level of professionalism you project as you look like the coyote digging through a pile to find just the right instrument to finally kill the roadrunner. But hey if it works for you.

I have to say McV I think you have way too much time on your hands. But I do like the organization. What I don't see is unless your work comes to you what good does all that stuff on the side of a building do? The labor to load and unload each day, looks like additional labor costs to me. Now put that inside a box truck or trailer and I think its money.

I use the same hangers too in my enclosed trailer. The problem I have is keeping it attached to the wall for more than a few months. We also use these Velcro straps from H/D with a clip on the end then the rakes you can lean against the wall and strap the handles too the wall. The clip is always attached to the wall and that works well. The ladders we bunji to the ceiling. We have a rack of bins from Sam's club (100 bucks) for the small stuff, weed poppers, specialty hand pruners, irrig parts, sprinkler heads, tree tie tape and so on. We have straps on the wall for the loppers and hand shears. Blowers and grass catchers sit on a large shelf. Hedge trimmers and line trimmer on another shelf and hedgers on a stick and back up line trimmer on a rack. Someday I should take a picture.

Good thread. I think this is an area where you can save a significant % of your labor if everyone follows the plan.

HeliosKY
11-30-2006, 10:12 AM
When I was working for a larger company, we used a variation of the color code method. Each crew was assigned a basic set of tools and wheelbarrows. At the end of the day, the crew piled the tools into the wheelbarrows and parked them in the barn- ready to go the next day. Power tools (other than blowers) and some hand tools (pole pruners; ball carts; ladders) were shared and signed out as needed. Extra tools were organized on hangers and were available to anyone. This method seemed pretty efficient and eliminated alot of scrambling and bickering in the morning. At the end of the day, my crew would quickly download the tools and clock out while I took care of the truck. They did not have to spend time separating and hanging tools. The most we ever did as far as organizing individual tools was "short tools" in one barrow and "long tools" in another. In the morning, all I had to think about was what extras I would need for the day- the basics were a given.

Now that I am on my own, I plan to use this system... just as soon as I have another crew.

mdvaden
11-30-2006, 07:01 PM
Hess did you used to work for me ? Sounds like some of my old labor logic. This is the most expensive method, calculate your additional labor sorting through the pile, its the method that keeps on costing. Not to mention the rakes always get bent up. Who can forget the occasional bonk in the head as the tool on the bottom you need finally breaks loose and what ever is on top of it thumps you. Then there is the level of professionalism you project as you look like the coyote digging through a pile to find just the right instrument to finally kill the roadrunner. But hey if it works for you.

I have to say McV I think you have way too much time on your hands. But I do like the organization. What I don't see is unless your work comes to you what good does all that stuff on the side of a building do? The labor to load and unload each day, looks like additional labor costs to me. Now put that inside a box truck or trailer and I think its money.

I use the same hangers too in my enclosed trailer. The problem I have is keeping it attached to the wall for more than a few months. We also use these Velcro straps from H/D with a clip on the end then the rakes you can lean against the wall and strap the handles too the wall. The clip is always attached to the wall and that works well. The ladders we bunji to the ceiling. We have a rack of bins from Sam's club (100 bucks) for the small stuff, weed poppers, specialty hand pruners, irrig parts, sprinkler heads, tree tie tape and so on. We have straps on the wall for the loppers and hand shears. Blowers and grass catchers sit on a large shelf. Hedge trimmers and line trimmer on another shelf and hedgers on a stick and back up line trimmer on a rack. Someday I should take a picture.

Good thread. I think this is an area where you can save a significant % of your labor if everyone follows the plan.

In response to your question, have you looked at my website?

I am a landscape contractor, and a certified arborist.

All of my pruning tools are in 3 aluminum boxes on by quad-cab pickup. The truck bed and trailer are devoted - while pruning - to large loads of limbs, and possibly, some firewood, etc.. in the bed.

So "0" landscape tools go to those projects.

Say the next week, if I'm installing, the orchard ladders come off the trailer, and I load up with all the stuff at the side - a few for small installs, and more for bigger installs.

The saw horses may only come off the rack every 4th install, and the miter saw from indoors, maybe every 6th install if wood is used.

On occassion, I build at our home / shop location, then deliver.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
11-30-2006, 07:24 PM
Hess sounds like you would be easy to work for easy going

nysuz
11-30-2006, 08:49 PM
I have been searching for ideas for the covered trailers. Seems to be no perfect way to organize all the tools required for maintenance. In one day, I used all mowing equipment, all trimming equipment, bedwork tools, pruning tools, planting tools, whew, and the tall man orchard ladder, boy do I love that ladder. We work out of a 20'20'garage, one 16' enclosed and three other trailers. There is no great way to organize all this. But our overhead is low, the only way to go for us anyway. I would love to see more pictures of some of the creative folks out there organizing the enclosed trailer. Forget about the garage, yes a lot of time is lost looking for the right tool for the days jobs. We do our best though.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
11-30-2006, 08:52 PM
With covered trailers,trimmertrap makes a black clip to hold tools call em up there like $7 bucks a piece.

mdvaden
11-30-2006, 11:17 PM
I have been searching for ideas for the covered trailers. Seems to be no perfect way to organize all the tools required for maintenance. In one day, I used all mowing equipment, all trimming equipment, bedwork tools, pruning tools, planting tools, whew, and the tall man orchard ladder, boy do I love that ladder. We work out of a 20'20'garage, one 16' enclosed and three other trailers. There is no great way to organize all this. But our overhead is low, the only way to go for us anyway. I would love to see more pictures of some of the creative folks out there organizing the enclosed trailer. Forget about the garage, yes a lot of time is lost looking for the right tool for the days jobs. We do our best though.

I worked temporarily for a landscape company when I first moved here. Most of their guys were slobs for keeping enclosed trailers clean.

Their biggest problem, was standing the rakes and shovels so that they had to lift out of a slot - the handle kept banging the roof.

It would be more sensible to stand those near the back door, or, slide them in from the back into PVC tubes set horizonally.

If that interferes with drive-in or roll-in mowers - then maybe a variation.