PDA

View Full Version : Online equipment

S man
11-29-2006, 10:40 PM
I have my eye on equipment on speedway sales that is cheaper than buying from the dealers. But what if something happens to the stuff you buy? The local dealer is not going to check it out, Right? Would you ship it back and pay for the shipping? I got to thinking and thought just because it costs a little more, I should stick with the local dealers and pay the extra 30 or whatever bucks and get close service and parts. Buying stuff online is almost getting a quick 36. What are your thoughts on this?

LLandscaping
11-29-2006, 11:33 PM
Buying online there is no dealer support. If you buy something online for example a Sthil your local Stihl dealer will do warranty work. But the dealer can choose what he wants to cover and the amount of time it takes for repairs. I would think the equipment he sells get serviced first.

J&R Landscaping
11-29-2006, 11:51 PM
Your dealer may or may not check it out for you. I am currently employed at a dealer now and when equipment comes in that was purchased online or at home depot or lowes, it sits a while before we look at it.
If a customer bought something from us and has a problem, we WILL bend over backwards trying to get the problem correctly as quickly as possible and we will do our best to get it covered under warranty. That is a bonus for customers who are loyal. I honestly think in this bussiness you need at least 1 dealer to be behind you in case of a breakdown or your bottom line could suffer! JMO

nobagger
11-30-2006, 06:54 AM
Your dealer may or may not check it out for you. I am currently employed at a dealer now and when equipment comes in that was purchased online or at home depot or lowes, it sits a while before we look at it.
If a customer bought something from us and has a problem, we WILL bend over backwards trying to get the problem correctly as quickly as possible and we will do our best to get it covered under warranty. That is a bonus for customers who are loyal. I honestly think in this bussiness you need at least 1 dealer to be behind you in case of a breakdown or your bottom line could suffer! JMO
100% agreed Joe, I would never buy anything new that I would use on a daily basis from an on-line store for just those reasons. Between all of the lawn care and landscaping magazine's I get a month, the prices are the same if not a little more anyways, so I pay a few dollars in tax but I help support local economy and a local business. We talk about "customer loyalty" all the time in here and its not any different when it comes to buying from a local dealer, IMO.

Scagguy
11-30-2006, 03:26 PM
Nobagger has nailed when he said..."We talk about "customer loyalty" all the time in here and its not any different when it comes to buying from a local dealer". My dealer will always help me out. If he can't get it done in a day or two, he'll give me a demo unit right then and there. It's not worth the 5% or so you might save on a purchase. Ask yourself this...which is more important....saving a little bit now, or having your butt saved when you're in a jam?

quiet
11-30-2006, 08:53 PM
Check your price thoroughly. After adding in shipping costs, how much are you really saving? And I'll bet your dealer will come darn close the total price anyway.

In the end, I'm gonna support the guy who supports me.

BQLC
12-01-2006, 10:52 AM
To give a example of it. I am looking to purchase my first z and i have checked every dealer in my area and on line for the best price. I have decided to go with the local guy because he told me he would loan me one if mine went down so that i would not be stuck without a mower . this you cannot get on-line.

S man
12-02-2006, 03:07 PM
Check your price thoroughly. After adding in shipping costs, how much are you really saving? And I'll bet your dealer will come darn close the total price anyway.

In the end, I'm gonna support the guy who supports me.

I was wanting to get a redmax eb7001. On speedway, it's 429.00 w/ NOOO tax or shiping charge. It looks like a good deal. The dealer sells it for 449.00 + tax. It will cost more but will have the dealer support that is worth the extra.

Has anyone seen the 7001 for 463.00? Everyone around here sells em for that price except the dealer I mentioned.

Shawns Lawns
12-02-2006, 03:13 PM
Is the savings of $20 worth any amount of hassle?:waving:

S man
12-02-2006, 03:55 PM
Is the savings of $20 worth any amount of hassle?:waving:

It's acually more. 449 x .09 = 489.41 Dealer
Online, 429 period.

Grimmy
12-02-2006, 04:13 PM
Stick with your local dealer. Keep the business within your community.
Support, they will give you preference. In the long run it is money well invested for you and the locals.

Shawns Lawns
12-02-2006, 11:17 PM
Ohh ok so is $60.41 worth any amount of hassle?:waving:

Scagguy
12-03-2006, 09:38 AM
$60 against what purchase price?

nobagger
12-03-2006, 09:43 AM
Why not ask your local guy if he can move any on the price? I've done this before and they didnt beat the price but came really close, so I bought locally.:)

nobagger
12-03-2006, 09:47 AM
Sorry I forgot to say... These "local guys" have to sell at sug. retail to try and stay in business against these on line stores. But Ive just asked them in the past to try and match that price and they did. They might grumble a bit but my feeling is they would rather sell to you locally and make 5 bucks then loose a sale to an on line store and make nothing.

QualityLawnCare4u
12-03-2006, 02:09 PM
About two weeks ago I was scanning ebay and saw some brand new toros that were over 1500 cheaper than my local dealer would sell them for. My past experince with this dealer tells me I would be screwed if I need any warranty work done. He gets real crappy when you buy from someone else. Heck, he is crappy enough if you buy from him:laugh: I have learned my lesson about being cheap, it cost much more in the long run.

S man
12-03-2006, 10:54 PM
About two weeks ago I was scanning ebay and saw some brand new toros that were over 1500 cheaper than my local dealer would sell them for. My past experince with this dealer tells me I would be screwed if I need any warranty work done. He gets real crappy when you buy from someone else. Heck, he is crappy enough if you buy from him:laugh: I have learned my lesson about being cheap, it cost much more in the long run.

It's funny. The dealers in my area are strange too. They do take stuff from other places if you buy some equipment from them. But the stihl dealers are another story. :rolleyes:

Oldtimer
12-04-2006, 10:04 PM
Stihl will cancel a dealer for selling on line. I don't even sell used Stihl parts and equipment on line.

I really can't blame a LCO for trying to save a little money by purchasing on line and my heart really goes out to him when he needs quick service for his on line purchases.

We make every effort to get a LCO back on the road asap but as far as getting a loaner Z mower, I think those days are about over. The margins the dealer work with have continued to erode for the past few years and we just don't get enough rebate to have loaners and resell them without losing money. It's simply amazing that someone would actually ask a dealer to borrow a 10-12K ZTR because one of theirs is broken. My service department has rental units for someone who doesn't have enough equipment to continue working.

Oldtimer

S man
12-04-2006, 10:08 PM
Stihl will cancel a dealer for selling on line. I don't even sell used Stihl parts and equipment on line.

I really can't blame a LCO for trying to save a little money by purchasing on line and my heart really goes out to him when he needs quick service for his on line purchases.

We make every effort to get a LCO back on the road asap but as far as getting a loaner Z mower, I think those days are about over. The margins the dealer work with have continued to erode for the past few years and we just don't get enough rebate to have loaners and resell them without losing money. It's simply amazing that someone would actually ask a dealer to borrow a 10-12K ZTR because one of theirs is broken. My service department has rental units for someone who doesn't have enough equipment to continue working.

Oldtimer

Yes. Buying online is tempting but when service is needed the support is thin. Also, if you find a dealer you like, you'll be buying what he sells compared to brand loyalty if he doesn't sell something you like.

Military Lawns
12-04-2006, 10:34 PM
Forming a quasi-partnership with a local dealer has it advantages and will pay for itself. You may pay a higher price from the dealer in the beginning but in the long run you save. Savings: better service, loaner equipment, in-house discounts, in-house first hand knowledge on used equipment.

I hope you see where I am going with this.

DJ-:weightlifter:

dmanb2b
12-04-2006, 10:46 PM
If you are in business, please do not tell me you have to rely on your local small engine repair shop to have a loaner for you? I used to buy exclusively locally until I realized I got charged the same labor rates as the "new guy" moving into the area. I buy whever is cheaper and the shops have no problem fixing it, as long as I pay the same hourly rate you all are paying. Always have a back-up either in the garage or on the trailer...not at "bob's repair"

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
12-04-2006, 11:06 PM
Forming a quasi-partnership with a local dealer has it advantages and will pay for itself. You may pay a higher price from the dealer in the beginning but in the long run you save. Savings: better service, loaner equipment, in-house discounts, in-house first hand knowledge on used equipment.

I hope you see where I am going with this.

DJ-:weightlifter:

Plus you get a little thing that our business needs. REFERALS!

The only time it might be good to buy online is if your a mechanic or your big enough to have a full time mechanic.

Prestige-Lawncare
12-04-2006, 11:24 PM
Listening to Bruce Williams on talk radio years ago, when I did a lot of late night driving, he gave some really good advice. He was talking about buying new cars, and he made the statement that the best deal isn't always the cheapest deal, or the lowest price. It is the deal that is good, but also has great dealer support.

He said the same thing ... one day you are going to be taking that car in for service, and the guy with the cheapest price may not (and most times does not) have the best service after the sale.

So much of what makes a good deal a "good deal" is the service afterwords.

I say support the local guy. After all ... we rely on the local people to support us and our business by using our services.

:usflag: