PDA

View Full Version : Do FLYMOWS still exist?

mdvaden
11-30-2006, 02:15 AM
I'd swear that I saw a FlyMow in a equipment store last year, but wasn't sure if it was a restored relic, an unused model on display, or just a unit for sale.

Are FlyMows still available for sale, or mowers like that under a different name?

Is anybody still using them?

Richard Martin
11-30-2006, 04:42 AM
I don't know if you can still buy them here in the States but they definately still in production.

www.flymo.com

john_incircuit
11-30-2006, 09:16 AM
This brings back memories! My parents have an Flymo, got to be at least 30 some years old. Still runs very well (it's the electric model), just used it not too long ago.

Very lightweight, perhaps 20 - 30 lbs, but max cutting height is only around 1.5 inches.

John

LawnBrother
11-30-2006, 09:50 AM
If you are looking at hover mowers check out the commercial models by Eastman.

mojob
11-30-2006, 10:31 AM
I'd swear that I saw a FlyMow in a equipment store last year, but wasn't sure if it was a restored relic, an unused model on display, or just a unit for sale.

Are FlyMows still available for sale, or mowers like that under a different name?

Is anybody still using them?
God, I hope not. I hated those things when I was a golf course mechanic. When I saw a crew taking flymos out of the shop, I knew I was going to be working on flymos the rest of the day.

mowerman111
11-30-2006, 12:24 PM
I was at the repair shop the other day and they had one out in their junk pile I asked the owner what was wrong with it he said it just needed a tune up, he wanted 100 bucks for it so I asked to let me take it and see if I could get it running,anyway i took it and cleaned out the old gas out and it started right up. I mowed my lawn with it, it did nice job. I'm not sure how old it is but it has a two cycle tecumseh engine on it. I always wanted one just to have.

mdvaden
11-30-2006, 06:07 PM
God, I hope not. I hated those things when I was a golf course mechanic. When I saw a crew taking flymos out of the shop, I knew I was going to be working on flymos the rest of the day.

Funny you should mention that - golf courses was where I experienced using them.

Columbia Edgewater Country Club of Portland, Oregon, had some tall banks on the sides of a couple of golf holes -too steep for other mowing equipment.

The greenskeepers tied ropes to the Flymow handles, lowered them down, and walked back and forth across the top of the bank, allowing the mover to hover back and forth horizonally.

Pulling in the rope one mower width with each pass.

mdvaden
11-30-2006, 06:16 PM
Looks like electrics start near $100

I cant' tell what the currency is on this one, but I'm sure it's several hundred dollars worth.

http://www.dorfscheune.de/cpshop/oxid.php/cl/details/anid/5b644741a542257c6.96059164

That site had many models listed.

:)

MattsMowing3535
11-30-2006, 06:47 PM
Its german, and those are euros?<bad spelling. Anyways the exchange rate goes up and down but I think it would be around 1000-1200 for the 699.99 model! Look at the hovermowers i got a flyer. Preety cool I wish I had one just to say I did!

grapeford
12-02-2006, 09:44 PM
The story I've heard told was that the flymows were outlawed because too many people were using them on steep hills, slipping and falling under the rotating blades. The early ones didn't shut off when you let go of the handle.
I think the lawsuits put them out of business. The ones I've seen advertised have either a nylon string or soft blades.

TurfProSTL
12-02-2006, 11:34 PM
We had a half dozen Flymos at the golf course I worked at about 10 years ago. Plenty of uses for them (mounds, banks, etc) but the superintendent kept them locked up. Safety concerns.

Distributor I worked for about 5 years ago started selling 2 Husqvarna (sp) models. Sold a handful to some newly built golf courses. I would imagine they would be ideal for cutting new sod or seed, where mower rutting might be an issue.

Anyway, did a search and found this: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=93084