PDA

View Full Version : 21 hp diesel or 25hp gas?

swn
06-22-2001, 11:59 PM
Thinking about getting a midmount grasshopper with a 61" deck. Have not decided between 21 hp kubota diesel or 25 hp kohler gas. I have a 25 kohler and have been pleased with it so far...200 hrs. I was wondering how the 2 would compare power wise. Thank you for any advice.

David Gretzmier
06-23-2001, 12:10 AM
I have had both! the front mount 25 kohler is ok powerwise, but short lived. I got about 1000 hours out of two different mowers before rebuilds were necessary. The kubota 21 is ok on my midmount, but add a bagger or thick grass/hills it is a strain on the front or mid mount. the kubota is much longer lived, but mower will fall apart around the engine. the 25 horse kubota gas is a good engine, more power, and similar in cost to the 21 diesel. If you can afford it, bite the bullet and pay another 50-75 a month and get the 28 horse diesel. you can use off road diesel at about 50 cents less per gallon, it has all the power you need, and will make you AT LEAST your increase in payment just by not slowing down. I believe the 28 is available now in the mid-mount as well. trust me. if you buy the best, you won't be disappointed.

That being said, after many grasshoppers breaking, we are looking at buying dixie choppers, but that's another debate. Good luck. Dave g

Eric ELM
06-23-2001, 12:15 AM
From what my JD dealer told me, the G Hopper will have a 27 hp Kubota on it with the 2002 model in case you want to wait a bit and get the bigger one. 21 hp will handle a 60" but a 27 would handle it better. :) The diesel should be much more fuel efficient.

I have no opinion on the 25 Kohler since I've never owned one, but the 22 Kohler as been a great engine for me. I will have 3,500 hours on mine soon running a 60" deck with double blades and it does a good job, but the 26 hp Yanmar does better. :)

swn
06-23-2001, 12:39 AM
Thanks you both for the quick replies. Dave, do you have the 321, if so how do you like the handling and the ride?
Eric - I tried double blades the other day after a rain. I was impressed. They did seem to bog down the 25 hp kohler, but the grass was thick, wet, and a slight slope. Thanks for all of the information you guys give.

David Gretzmier
06-23-2001, 01:14 AM
I've got the 321. my local dealer says he can get the 428d now. the ride is nowhere near as nice on the front-mounts, but then all mid mounts ride harder than fronts just because of wheelbase. I put a 99 buck suspension seat on it. it raised the height you sit, but also helped the comfort level enormously. the fuel effieciency is amazing. the 10 gallons on the 25 horse kohler midmount ran about 7 hours and the same 10 gallons has gone 16 for me on the 21 diesel, AND that is using off-road diesel, which runs about 99 cents a gallon here. Handling hills is great going up, sideways. going down is good for your prayer life. It has improved with the diesel, but still scary. Again, I'd get the 428d, it has the bigger pumps, wheel motors, and all the power you really need. If you want to run doubles, pay the extra 50 bucks a month. Dave g

Mowingman
06-23-2001, 11:01 PM
I demoed the 321d with the 60" deck. It is underpowered in heavy grass and in wet mowing conditions. Instead, I purchased the new 428d with a 72" deck. The 28hp Kubota handles any mowing conditions with ease, even with the 72" deck. I would get the 428d with the 60" deck and you will never lack for power. In fact, I may order one myself in the next few weeks. :D

swn
06-24-2001, 10:57 PM
Thanks again for the replies. I plan on getting to demo tomorrow. My dealer doesn't have a diesel midmount right now, so that will be later. I will be getting another one to go along with a 725K. Thanks again.

LJ lawn
06-24-2001, 11:28 PM
i almost went to look at a nice used grasshopper with the 25hp liquid coooled gas but decided againt it because of the fuel ecomomy,i'm still on the lookout for the diesel.i have the diesel in my walker and it's great on the fuel.

swn
06-24-2001, 11:37 PM
I am beginning to lean heavily towards the diesel from what I have read on here and by talking to others around home. I will let everyone know what I get whenever it is. Hopefully soon.

swn
06-29-2001, 11:58 PM
Just thought I would let you guys know I bought the 225. A 25 hp kohler with 61" deck. I have used it 2 days now and really like it so far. It is a lot faster than my 725K. Also a lot smoother transmission. I like having a front mount and a midmount both.
By the way, I see what you mean about going down hill. Felt like I was on ice. My dealer has ordered another set of tires for it. I guess they are like the Ag tires on the front mounts.