PDA

View Full Version : Undo the glue.....

PurpHaze
11-30-2006, 07:41 PM
Got my electronic copy of the Irrigation Association E-Times today and the ungluer was profiled. Interesting piece of equipment and it works on pipe up to 3" in diameter. Watch the video.

Watch the video.

http://www.pipedebonder.com/demonstrations.html

Dirty Water
11-30-2006, 09:07 PM
Interesting system. It would require a fairly large hole to fit that in there, They need to make a right angle one so that the controller and battery are above the hole instead of in it.

Of course, you could pay a lot less and use a Rambit if your determined to reuse that fitting.

DanaMac
11-30-2006, 09:08 PM
Pretty slick. But would like to see it in operation in the field, in the dirt and water. Any idea how much they cost? Doubt I would buy one for what we do, but still curious. I would love to come up with the next great idea for the industry.

DanaMac
11-30-2006, 09:09 PM
Interesting system. It would require a fairly large hole to fit that in there, They need to make a right angle one so that the controller and battery are above the hole instead of in it.

Ditto what Jon said.

Precision
11-30-2006, 09:13 PM
that is super cool. I can only imagine the price though.

I also have one suggestion for improvement. I think it should also have a "L" shaped coupler so you can access some of the difficult areas without digging up the whole world.

Did I mention way cool.

Dirty Water
11-30-2006, 09:28 PM
I'd imagine a decent propane torch and a steady hand could have similar results :)

That said, If I were using this on a 3" mainline that sees 80-100 psi and 100 gpm, would I really want to reuse the tee?

PurpHaze
12-01-2006, 08:29 AM
All valid questions that I don't have the answers to. I'll do a little more investigation today when I have more time. I looked at this yesterday just before leaving work. I'll also try and get a price quote.

Flow Control
12-01-2006, 08:50 AM
Looks like it would come in handy every now and a blue moon... I guess you would save money on fittings after the 2000th use. Maybe I can get my mini excavator to dig the hole out to use the thing and then use it on all the other fittings I may have to undo because of using the mini. Then after I allow the fitting to cool down I can worry about all of the excess glue still left in the fitting. But after the charge for all of the work on the penny fitting it would be worth it. Sweet.. Looks like my union workers would love it.

bicmudpuppy
12-02-2006, 09:35 PM

Of course, you could pay a lot less and use a Rambit if your determined to reuse that fitting.

I keep a set of Rambits on hand and I've never had a salvaged fitting fail, BUT, I don't salvage mainline fittings except in extreme circumstances.

PurpHaze
12-02-2006, 10:08 PM
I've actually used the old plumbers trick of taking a hack saw blade, cutting the pipe about five times inside the fitting and then taking a chisel and popping out the pieces. Re-primer and glue new. One such repair job on a 3" tee is over 10 years old and still holding.

Dirty Water
12-02-2006, 10:09 PM
I couldn't see that trick working for me Hayes. The glue we use will not chip off, you'll end up busting the plastic first.

PurpHaze
12-03-2006, 10:19 AM
I couldn't see that trick working for me Hayes. The glue we use will not chip off, you'll end up busting the plastic first.

Come to think of it Jon you're probably right. The glue we use is comparable to what you use and I've never tried it with that type of glue joint. The ones I've tried it on were done originally with gray glue. They popped out with the chisel and then I took a little sand paper to remove some of the inner roughness. Followed that with copious amounts of primer and then used my small knife to finish scraping the inside of the fitting. Primered and then reglued after that.