PDA

View Full Version : Electrical (ignition) problems

slytiger
06-23-2001, 01:33 PM
I've got a 1995? Lowe's riding mower, and whenever I turn the key to start, sometimes there is a clicking noise. Most of the time nothing happens. I've put in a new starter switch (5 blade), solenoid, battery, and I've also changed starters from another 12HP B&S engine. I believe it's an electrical problem because the engine runs. Is there anything else I can try?

06-23-2001, 08:10 PM
Another area to check would be the battery cables & terminals, as well as the rest of the (smaller) wires and terminals in the starting circuit.

Corrosion can build up here, and sometimes is hidden by the insulation on the wire.

I had a similar problem on my truck (350 Chev) which turned out to be the main "hot" terminal on the starter itself. Cleaned everything up, that cured the problem.

This may or may not be the solution in your situation, but it's worth checking out.

Richard Martin
06-24-2001, 02:58 PM
Follow the wires and you should find a relay (not the solenoid) hidden somewhere on the mower, usually in the frame under the seat. Also check all of the safeties with an ohm meter.

slytiger
07-01-2001, 09:29 PM
I replaced the ignition wires and that did the trick, the engine fired right up! Thanks for the advice.