PDA

View Full Version : Exmark vs. Toro

roscioli
06-23-2001, 02:16 PM
Okay, i am finally looking to buy some decent used equipment, and have 2 ideas in mind. One guy is selling a year 2000 36" Exmark (i wont find out the model until tomorrow), with a blower, weedwacker, some other junk, and a new 12' trailer for $3300 (was at $4000, talked him down). Another guy is selling a 1994 Toro pro line 36" with a catcher, floating deck, t-bar, and a 14hp motor (i think he said Kawi) for $1300, but i bet i can talk him down to 1000.
My question to you, which i need advice for by tomorrow morning is this: Should i buy the package deal, or the toro, then a new trailer from a local dealer, and deal with the other accessories later (blower, etc)? I know i havent giving enough info here, but even generalizations about the two brands would be good, like "toros dont last more than 3 years" Or, "Go with exmark, all their mowers beat toros".. Things like that would help too! Thanks, mike

Kent Lawns
06-23-2001, 03:22 PM
The Toro 14hp is a Kohler. (Toro never used a 14hp Kawasaki)

The Model of the Exmark would make a difference. Floating deck is nice, but not really needed on a 36". It's more of a tool for switching deck heights quickly. On a 36" scalping is generally not an issue.

Depending on make/condition of the 2-cycle equip, I'd lean towards the Toro.

roscioli
06-23-2001, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the info Kent. I too would lean towards a toro, but this toro is a 94 and the exmark is 2000, with probably 2 months of use, rather than 7 years. So thats where i get confused. PLEASE PEOPLE! I need help before tomorrow! ANY ANY ANY ANY ANY comments would be appreciated.

Fallguy
06-23-2001, 09:13 PM
if that is all the choices you have then go exmark

lawnman_scott
06-24-2001, 12:07 AM
Are the mowers belt or hydro? I have a toro thats about 4 years old, and dought i could get that for it. that could be alot of use in that many years. Also how wide is the trailer, if its less than 6 ft wide i would think of that, and is it single or dual axel. The package deal could be good if its a nice trailer. If the trimmer is commercial and the blower is a backpack i would think they are worth $300 used, and depends what the other "junk" is.

roscioli
06-24-2001, 07:41 PM
Thank you few who actually responded and tried to help. I ended up not getting the package deal, because my truck wouldnt have made it 2 hours (and the traffic for some reason was backed up for well, probably 50 miles, 4 lanes, all stopped, AFTER i decided not to go). So, today i bought a junko trailer to fix up, its a funny size, but dual axle, so that is good. I will find a mower later i guess. Thanks, mike

lawnman_scott
06-24-2001, 07:44 PM
Dual axel will be important down the road, now go out and work on that truck.

SLS
06-24-2001, 08:07 PM
Yes...the truck should be PRIORITY #1 !!!!

If it is hurting to do a 2 hour trip just wait until you start pulling a loaded trailer!

Q:
What good is a trailer full of greatest equipment if its hooked behind a dead vehicle?

A:
NONE...ZERO!

My buddy just went through this nursing an old van......he learned the HARD WAY that "time is money" is more than just an old saying. ;)

roscioli
06-24-2001, 11:15 PM
Actually, I am in the process of finding a new truck. I test drove a 99 f-250 light duty, but didnt really like it. My truck is running okay right now for the first time in 6 months, so i dont know what to do, but before i do anything serious, i have to sell my honda civic. I bought it before i was really into this landscpaing stuff, figuring it would be a fun car that would last me forever (its the SI, the sport model, blah blah). Honda and sport dont seem to go together in the same sentence without a little choking. SO anyway, my truck can tow okay, but it cant plow for the life of it, no where near enough power to push snow. But yeah, before i drop anymore big money on equipment, i am gonna get a reliable truck. Thanks!

SLS
06-25-2001, 12:00 AM
"Honda and sport dont seem to go together in the same sentence without a little choking. "

You need a 1990 CRX si 5-speed.

I LOVE mine. Flat hauls azz....for a rice-burning four banger. :D

Still, it wouldn't be very good at hauling 2 tons of lawn equipment. ;)