PDA

View Full Version : Eric's Chains

vipermanz
06-23-2001, 02:31 PM
Doesn't this look just like Erics chains on his dc?

i was browsing northerntool.com and saw this on a pto 3pt. mower

Guido
06-23-2001, 02:54 PM
wide area mowers have chain drags on them. I know all of our JD batwings do.

Rooster
06-23-2001, 03:32 PM
I don't think they are Eric's, but Eric being on the breaking edge of lawn care probally invented the idea.

Eric ELM
06-23-2001, 05:35 PM
Rooster, I'm so old I invented grass seed right after I invented dirt. Then came the lawnmower and then the striping chains. :)

Those chains are most likely for keeping objects from getting thrown out the back. This is one more thing I like about using the chains on my Chopper, it's just one more safety device in place, but it won't completely stop projectiles. Lets face it, machinery is dangerous, but every safety device helps a little bit.

rdh
06-24-2001, 12:06 AM
i dont see the perpose of the chains for stripes to be before the blades thats the front of the mower not the rear

John DiMartino
06-24-2001, 12:18 AM
The chains are to keep flying rocks and debris down,and to slow them as the come out the front.They are not there to stripe,anyone using a brush cutter is not in the least concerned with the stripe as they are getting hit by the cement block they just ran over,and is getting ready to liftoff from under the hog.I ran over a 1/2 buried truck frame while hogging last year,chunks of frame shot out and went about 100 ft away,these chunks weighed about 20 lbs each,glad i mow early am when no one's around,that would've ruined someones whole day.

cos
06-24-2001, 12:36 AM
So you don't gouge a high spot in the middle, rdh.