PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone cut like THIS???

hobbes
06-23-2001, 05:13 PM
Saw an LCO across the street from where I was working today. Two guys start by blowing all the surfaces, drive, walk, back deck(i assume)etc., then both trim the place, one with stick edger. Next they cut, using 21's with bag, easily could have been mulched with a 36. Then they blow the surfaces again. This was a small res, prop. Wondering if anyone else goes by this method. I haven't seen it in our area before & it took twice the time we could do it in. Wondering how much they charge. We charge pretty much the going rate in our area. They must be charging alot more.

TLS
06-23-2001, 05:22 PM
If I do a heavy edgeing or string trimming, sometimes I will blow after that but before I mow, then do a final blowing at the very end after mowing. Just hate to finish and blow big chunks of edging and clippings on top of perfectly cut turf.

But this guy your talking about just doesn't make any sense?

Eric ELM
06-23-2001, 05:27 PM
If there has been a wind storm and there are leaves all over the driveway, we take the Choppers and blow them out into the lawn so we can mulch them up. In the fall, we do take the blower and blow off side walks and patio's so we can mulch the leaves also. When we get done with the lawns, we just run over the driveway again to blow off anything that got on it while we were mulching leaves.

On a weekly mow, we do not do this. Yes it would cause extra work for sure.

script
06-23-2001, 05:28 PM
In the fall when there are leaves or other debris, we'll edge and trim, then blow the walks and driveways. We then mulch the yard with the walk behind and blow walks again. I do this so that I'm not blowing leaves back onto a clean cut yard. The only time I'd do this in the spring or summer would be after edging a first cut yard with over grown edges. I'll edge then blow all the clippings into the yard to be mulched by the mower. Usually doesn't take more than 5-10 extra minutes.

Bobby

hobbes
06-23-2001, 05:31 PM
wanted to add one more thing. I went over to take a look at the prop after they left & it didn't look any better than it would have had we mulched, trimmed & blown it. The stick edger mabe gave the drive edge a slightly sharper look but for the time it took I couldn't see a noticable difference. There were only a few Oak keys on the surfaces to start, we would have blown them on the street or in beds after trimming.

Guido
06-23-2001, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by hobbes
They must be charging alot more.

Not neccesarily so! Believe it or not they are probobly making less. I figure if they were making more they would get some bigger mowers. (But thats a whole nother arguement that I DON'T want to start in this thread) ;)

hobbes
06-23-2001, 05:57 PM
Guido,
They were using top line comm equipment, trimmers, blowers, 21's. All the best stuff. Didn't look like scrub material.

Guido
06-23-2001, 06:04 PM
What they got going on over there! :)

Hmmm..... It just seems to me, and like you noticed, for the extra time they take to do the job with their process and the smaller mowers, doesn't seem like they would be able to price competitively in any market. If I get paid (just an easy # for an example) $50 for an hour lawn that I do with my 48", stick edge, and give the same quality as them, that means they would have to be charging $100 for the same lawn because it takes them double the time??

hobbes
06-23-2001, 06:22 PM
These are $30-$35 lawns, about 15-20 min for a good 2 man crew. These guys took about 35 min.. Would love to see their advertising & prices.

Cleve
06-23-2001, 09:06 PM
There were only a few Oak keys on the surfaces to start, we would have blown them on the street or in beds after trimming.

I use professional equipment and have never mulched. I started out catching most lawns and still do. Most of my customers prefer it. I'm not going to buy another deck for my Walker so that I can mulch on demand. Just to easy to catch and dispose of.

Our standard procedure has always been to edge and then blow before cutting. Doesn't take any longer no matter when you do it. You are doing exactly the same jobs, just in different order.

Regards blowing into the street, I'm kinda shocked to hear that any professional LCO would do that. The only people I see doing that are scrubs and some homeowners.

Cleve.

HOMER
06-23-2001, 09:32 PM
Actually...........it makes perfect sense! If there is debris anywhere that might wind up back in the yard once you get that perfect look then we always blow it first. Clean-up used to take me forever until I watched another guy one day. They got out, blew everything off the hard surfaces into the yard while the others were trimming and edging. When they fired the Chopper they had up it was all in the yard. The only thing left to blow was clippings that could be easily hidden in the grass.

Before watching them I would do everything first and then go get the rake and the blower and the bucket and the tarp.............get the picture.

People that have helped me in the past want to start mowing right off the bat. I have to educate them on the "HOMEY SYSTEM".

Make the mess in the grass before you make the first pass! Cleanup's a snap.

Oh, and it don't go in the road either. What was against the curb gets blown in the grass first!

Vibe Ray
06-23-2001, 09:48 PM
You know guys, it's starting to make sense to me, too! I have been considering doing this, but just haven't. I'll give it a shot next time I cut....Thanx for the inspiration.:)

The only thing is it seems like it would be harder to trim cuz you might overtrim or under trim. If you undertrim, you'll have to break out the trimmer again and if you overtrim that wastes time cuz you are spending more time trimming than is necessary. I suppose it just takes practice....?

kutnkru
06-23-2001, 10:01 PM
I have yet to blow off the drive or wlakways prior to cutting. I do ask that any larger sized debris bve hand picked prior to mowing operations.

I prefer to edge walks/curbs and trim all beds first, then mow, and finish with the back packs.

We can always pick up some tid-bit of info from watching other LCOs. Most will probably be more ways of how Not-To-Do-It, but some have a few tricks up their sleves that are not advertised.

Always pay attention, and you can learn something.
Kris

hobbes
06-23-2001, 10:07 PM
Cleve,
You're shocked a professional LCO would blow a couple Oak keys on the road? I'd like to know how many of the pro's on this forum have let a couple clippings, leaves, keys etc., hit the road. Is this serious taboo, no no, faux pas, sin, for a professional LCO like yourself?
If you blow first don't you end up having to blow again after cut&trim even a pro like yourself must get a couple clippings on the surfaces. Like I said these guys blew twice, beginning & end.

Ssouth
06-23-2001, 10:29 PM
I have one property that we do like mentioned above. Like always I edge and trim first but on this particular property we blow before and after we mow because I was asked to by the home owner. Yes, I do charge extra for this but not much because it only take five min. extra. On a side note this is the only property were I will leave clippings in the street. This is because it's a very busy road and the home is in a curve. Safety first.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-23-2001, 10:39 PM
I wouldn't worry about them keep doing it your way
because thats the way you do it

I quit watching others they make me laugh
two duys two trimmers two blowers
big yard one guy cutting other smoking with weed eater in hand watching other guy mow

doesn't make sence does it

they should both mow trim blow smoke in truck going to next yard

but good exaple you do it your way and be comferitable with that

I know I am

well have a nice rest of Sat. night BUD LIGHT TAST GOOOOOOOOD!

Cleve
06-24-2001, 11:26 AM
Cleve,
You're shocked a professional LCO would blow a couple Oak keys on the road? I'd like to know how many of the pro's on this forum have let a couple clippings, leaves, keys etc., hit the road. Is this serious taboo, no no, faux pas, sin, for a professional LCO like yourself?
If you blow first don't you end up having to blow again after cut&trim even a pro like yourself must get a couple clippings on the surfaces. Like I said these guys blew twice, beginning & end.

I stand by the "shocked" statement.
NOTHING gets blowed into the street, ever.
And, generally the Walker or Honda cleans the lawn so well that no clippings end up on the hard surfaces. And if they did I just pick up the BP and spend about 1 minute blowing them into the lawn. When we leave the customer the lawn, driveway, and curb is clean and neat. Policy is to treat the customer's yard as if I owned it.
Been doing it that way for over 11 years and never had to advertise or put out flyers to generate new business requests.
Cleve.

Lawngeek
06-24-2001, 12:40 PM
21s is alot less overhead and dont require trailer gas to tow and wear on truck they trim before mowing to bag the clippings from the trimmer