PDA

View Full Version : Which should I buy?

Greg Mc
06-23-2001, 06:41 PM
This is my first post, great site with great info. My son and I have a part-time service with about 20 yards. Most of the yards are 50 X 100ft so they aren't huge yards. We have used residental 21" for the past 3 years but I am tired of wearing them out, they just will not hold up. I went shopping today but none of the dealers have any demo machines so I need some advice from people that have used them. Trying them in the parking lot won't tell me much. Below is what I have found. Which should I buy?

John Deere GS30, 36" WB has a 13 hp Kohler, price is $2250
ExMark Metro, 36" WB has a 13 Kohler, price is $1999
He said I could have the 12.5 Kaw or Kohler same price. He didn't have a 32" but said he could order it but it would be the same price as the 36". Go figure??
Toro 32" WB has a 10.5 Briggs, price is $2000
Toro 32" WB has a 12.5 Kaw, price is $2300

I haven't seen the Toros but talked to the guy on the phone. He suggested a 37" recycler floater, 12.5 Kaw but the price is $2900. He said the 36" fixed Toro would be the same price, $2900. I don't want to spend that much money.

I also looked at the 21 Commercial mowers. The Deere JX85 was $850 with the attachments. Toro 21 was $950. I like the smaller 21" mowers but my son thinks the 36 is the way to go.

Guido
06-23-2001, 06:59 PM
Welcome to Lawnsite!

I think your son is right to go with the 36" if you can get it on the majority of the properties you service. It will be a huge timesaver for you. The switch from a 21" to a commercial mower is a real eyeopener to a whole new world in this business.

Now, as far as the parking lot test drive, it can help you decide a lot. Just using all the controls and driving it around you'll be able to tell which one you guys will feel more comfortable operating.

Think about who can offer you the better service and fast parts turn around. I'd say eXmark, but thats personal prefrence that you should decide on your own after playing with the machines a little. Everyone you talk to will talk you into a different brand, and I'm not trying to do that.

You won't regret this purchase! :)

Make sure you let us know what you decide on and how it works out for you.

Good Luck, and hope this helped!

script
06-23-2001, 07:10 PM
Greg Mc, Welcome to Lawnsite.
I personally have a Scag 48" and have never used any of the mowers that you have listed except for the comm. 21" Toro which I have been using for three years now and would highly recommend for anyone needing this size mower. I've heard alot of good things on here about all the other mowers you've listed, and would probably say my personal choice, just from reading here, would be the Exmark. Just remember that the dealer is as important as the machine when buying equipment. And also be sure to check the search function at the top of the page for more info, because there is plenty of good advice on here. Hope this helps a little.

Bobby

Eric ELM
06-23-2001, 07:17 PM
Welcome to LawnSite.com :)
I agree with Dave on this one. The 36" will cut a lot more grass and in most cases, do a lot better job of it. If you have a 1" overlap with each mower, you will gain 15" of cut by using the 36", so in two trips up and back on a lawn, you gain 60", which is a gain of a round and a half every two rounds. The quicker you get done, the more lawns you can do. I think you get the picture. :)

leaflawnandlimb
06-23-2001, 08:47 PM
I'm partial to the exmarks but I think all the brands you listed are good choices. The exmark and toro flat decks are the same machine except fot the t bar steering. I think that the dealer is the big deciding factor here. Our area was primarally scag, but because af a quaility dealer with good parts and service support it has changed to about 75% exmark. Try to find a dealer with a loaner program in case of a break-down your not out of luck.