PDA

View Full Version : Diagnose this

HOMER
06-23-2001, 10:19 PM
Mowin today (duh) with my 25 hp 72" that has never ever gave me an ounce of trouble and guess what..............it ain't doin' so good now. Still under warranty so no biggie. It was runnin' like a champ until I lowered my rpm's to disengage the blades. When I gave it some throttle to get back to the trailer she started spittin' and sputterin' and sounded like she was on 1 cylinder. Brought her home, pulled the plugs........OK, one was a little less than perfect but not that bad. Pulled the air filters off and cranked it again just to make sure it wasn't a "air" problem, nothing changed. Pulled the fuel filter out of the hose and gas ran through it like a cow peein' on a flat rock. Sprayed carb cleaner in the carb and managed to get her up to a faster idle, when it got there it was spitting through the muffler as if there was some gas getting through the cylinder without being burned. I kinda came to the conclusion that it might be a coil............but I ain't no mechanic.

Any suggestions. I sure needed it tomorrow to mow some commercial accounts I'm waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy behind on cause of these afternoon thunder bumpers we been having.

slabpile
06-23-2001, 10:26 PM
Hey homer

I dunno know but you can barrow mine if you come get it. lol

kroll
06-23-2001, 10:31 PM
Before you change any parts change your gas
it don't take but alittel bit of water to cause a miss
My Z turns will burn anything (Kaw) but my push
mower runs like poop on cheap gas LC215 W/ 6hp Briggs

Fine Lines Lawn
06-23-2001, 10:34 PM
Homer,
You checked all of the things I would have checked. I've noticed lately that a change of plugs helps even if the plugs look good. Sometime those plugs can be deceiving little bas***ds.

awm
06-23-2001, 10:35 PM
it really sounds like a plug just blew.
they can look perfect an be shot inside.

HOMER
06-23-2001, 10:36 PM
Got gas at the same time for other mower............running fine. This is a 25 hp Kohler, not a Briggs 5 hp.

John DiMartino
06-23-2001, 10:45 PM
Did you put new spark plugs in it?The one that wasnt so hot-was it oil fouled,worn,or gas fouled?If one is OK,and one isnt-thats the cylinder thats giving you trouble.If its the coil,your going to have to go without it or rob it off the 50".These things always happen on a saturday afternoon about 5 minutes after your dealer closes,it seems.

Keith
06-23-2001, 10:50 PM
A few weeks back my 25 Kohler on the Kees did something similar. It was really down on power and sputtering. We had mowed in a pretty heavy rain the day before. The choke cable, while appearing to be pushed in all the way, was still partially closed at the carb. The cable at the linkage was kinda "gummy" and there was a little black fitting on the cable (actually where the nylon outer covering ends) that slipped off. I put it back where it belonged, and worked the cable a few times and it ran fine.

Eric ELM
06-23-2001, 11:00 PM
I would stick in a new set of plugs first. As others have said, this could be the problem and it is the cheapest and easiest to fix. I also have seen plugs that looked just fine, but they were shot.

Dennis
06-23-2001, 11:09 PM
Homer
If none of these other ideas work, remove carb and spray carb cleaner in reverse of the way fuel usually goes, a small pc of trash can cause lots of trbl. I have to do my Kohler like this couple times a year.

Good Luck
Dennis

roscioli
06-23-2001, 11:59 PM
Check your choke cable first, wiggle it to make sure its all the way in the position it should be in when running. THEN, do the the plugs. How many times can you drop a spark plug? TWICE, once on the ground, once in the trash. :D If it got bumped by something in the truck (a rake, shovel, foot, trimmer, whatever), it could have killed the plug.

roscioli
06-24-2001, 12:01 AM
By the way, since it happened when you were playing with the throttle cable, i am more apt to say its a problem with the cable than a random death of a plug.

Eric ELM
06-24-2001, 12:17 AM
roscioli
Did you know you can edit your post up to 30 minutes from the time you submitted it? This will eliminate 2 posts in the same thread within 2 minutes like you just had. Instead of posting another one, just edit the other one and add to it. The edit/delete icon is the lower right one on each of your posts.

HOMER
06-24-2001, 12:20 AM
I had an old plug, I replaced the bad looking one with another bad looking one. Had to limp her to the barn and head out to mow another account with the Scag and little 50". Did pretty good considering!

I'll pick up some new plugs in the morning and give that a shot. It's amazing how you get accustomed to using a mower and then feel lost without it! Still had 2 and thats what we use most of the time anyway.

Motor is still under warrnty, I ain't takin' nothing off it.

MOW ED
06-24-2001, 08:55 AM
Its good you still have the warranty Homer. After its fixed you should run to Wal-Mart and get a for sale sign and get rid of the dreaded 25.

Sorry I was reliving my tortured past. I know exactly what you mean about being lost without your main mower. Happened to me more than I care to talk about. You come to appreciate this when you have to walk all day in 90 degrees plus. I don't mind walking as long as its from the truck to the seat of the mower.

Good luck .

HOMER
06-24-2001, 09:12 AM
So true! I don't understand how some guys get by with just a walkbehind? After walking with the edger, trimmer, blower etc. I need a sit down break. I'm getting too old for this!

lawrence stone
06-24-2001, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by HOMER
I don't understand how some guys get by with just a walkbehind?

Only nut jobs actually walk behind walkbehind mowers.

I have used some type of sulky since day one (1990).

The advantages of stand on sulkys are:

1. They save your back vs. a ZTR and you develop legs and azz the ladies just love.

2. You don't blow your knees out.

3. You increase your production by being able to operate the machine in high gear.

4. You save your energy for more important things like fortification.
The difference in energy consumption from walking vs. standing is nil.

5. You have a lot less chance of stepping in a chuckhole and breaking an ankle or stepping in pet feces.

Island Lawn
06-24-2001, 11:10 AM
A sulky might hurt my back?
I'm tall (6'4)
I've seen guys shorter than me naving to bending down from their sulkies to reach the controls.

At a bit over 240lbs, I benefit from the walking.

I don't think I've shed an ounce of my winter wieght gain.
As the season came on, I just increased my intake!
Chocolate...It's not just for breakfast anymore!LOL

Columbia Turf
06-24-2001, 12:07 PM
Sounds like a it could be a choke problem! I agree, if it happened while throttling down, is probably in the cable somewhere.

Since I am a big KAW. fan I could say it is because it is a KOHLER but I wont start anything by saying that. LOL

CMerLand
06-24-2001, 01:27 PM
Homer,

I know exactly what that sounds like on a Kohler 25 as we had the same problem on our walker. Our dealer replaced the ignition module and also the coils inside the motor to correct the problem. Untimately replaced the engine when that one started burning oil, and havent had a problem at all with the replacement engine.

Kohler had alot of problems with those 25s when the first hit the market which is why alot of people are not p*ssed off with them, and will never give them another chance. Good luck.

CMerLand

mowerman90
06-24-2001, 01:47 PM
STONE,

You da MAN!!

Wheeless
06-24-2001, 08:17 PM
Homer, I had a very small piece of trash get in my 17 Kaw. that caused simular problems.

lawrence stone
06-24-2001, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Island Lawn
A sulky might hurt my back?
I'm tall (6'4)
I've seen guys shorter than me naving to bending down from their sulkies to reach the controls.

A stand on sulky won't hurt back but a ZTR with no suspension will.

Riding on a ZTR is worse than driving a big rig. Big rigs have
air ride seats and springs on the axles.

As far as bending down is a concern that is not an issue with
Toro T-bar machines.

cos
06-24-2001, 08:51 PM
Hey Larry, Doesn't a walk behind give good exercise? I haven't used my sulky hardly at all this season and I am growing a gut, but it may be due to my new g/f's cookin and dining out. lol

Wood Lawn Man
06-24-2001, 09:12 PM
I have (2) 25 HP Kohlers and they have a bad habit of going through plugs. Unfortunately, they also have a tendancy to burn out a coil every now and then.

leaflawnandlimb
06-24-2001, 11:23 PM
Your problem is in the ignition coil or SAM box( spark advance module) when you take it to your dealer make sure he replaces all three componants at the same time or it will happen again shortly. When I say three componants I mean two ignition coils and the SAM. And your ignition system that uses that SAM has a liftime warranty.

Toroguy
06-25-2001, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by lawrence stone

Only nut jobs actually walk behind walkbehind mowers.

Since I am nuts, I will take that as a compliment.

Good luck Homer, having a back-up fleet is a huge stress reliever.

HOMER
06-25-2001, 07:22 AM
Installed 2 new plugs, mowed my own lawn, ran fine.
Shut it down to do my hour of trimming and edging, blowing.
Cranked it to put it on trailer:( ..........started the crap again.

I think it's a coil...........to da shop today.

Stone, I got a case of the "gone azz"! Mine left me sometime in May. Won't be nuthin to look at till January when the winter meat comes back.

HOMER
06-25-2001, 11:22 PM
It was the carb...........had trash in it. $50.03 later I'm good to go.

Sure feels good having the Cadillac back in the trailer.