PDA

View Full Version : checkers

rdh
06-23-2001, 11:02 PM
iv tryed the checkerd stripes today. i havent got them to look like i want them to.my mower stripes above average just seems like they get
eraced you can allways see the lines from the passes i did last .
does this (checker)look take time before it could look like the ones
on elm site? or can any one get great checks out of 2 mowings?
no matter how many times i mow you mostly see the sraight lines instead of the checks.what am i doing wrong ?

kutnkru
06-23-2001, 11:23 PM
If you are looking for a specific pattern I would think that within a month it should be there.

Yes the lines may fade from the last cut but they will not be erased so to speak.

Just pick your angle and follow it over the next couple of cuttings.

Good Luck!
Kris

Eric ELM
06-23-2001, 11:49 PM
Is this the effect you are looking for? If so, just get 2 different striping patterns going and drive in the same tracks until it's defined, as Kris mentioned. Go one direction one week and the opposite the next week. It will help to have a striping kit, but it's not needed.

http://elmlawnsite.com/images/kwasak.jpg

kutnkru
06-23-2001, 11:58 PM
Yeah-Yeah!!! Like what he did -LMAO!!!

rdh
06-24-2001, 12:15 AM
yes eric thats what id like to do .
i tryed it in my oun yard ran the same passes at least 20 times both directions.i just couldnt get them to look any better tthan the the first 4 times i went over it .my neibors think im crasy cutting my grass every 2 hours. so i should let time take care of this to burn them in.i just thought if i kept going i could get it to look rite.

Eric ELM
06-24-2001, 12:20 AM
20 times in the same day? Wow, maybe you do need a striping kit. :)

Barkleymut
06-24-2001, 01:54 AM
One thing a lot of guys don't notice is that Eric's lawns are healthy, fast growing, disease free, well fertilized, well irrigated lawns. In other words you don't get stripes like this with ANY mower unless you are mowing some good turf. I've seen great looking lawns mowed with a Murray and lawns you couldn't stripe up with a fleet of Exmarks.

jeffyr
06-24-2001, 12:43 PM
Barkley,

I think you hit it on the head. Lawns that are not thick and healthy and watered regularly will yield result greater than those that are not . I have posted a few pics of striped lawns, but I also have posted pics of some that won't hold a stripe if my life depended on it.
Eric has a couple of advantages in the photos he posts from what I have seen.

1. Newly developed landscape--in the photos posted he is not maintaining property that with old variety grasses mixed in (from the way it appears in the photos). Most of the pics are what appear to be newer homes and professionly created landscapes. Starting fresh seems to yield better results than "patching up" the old (which may have been done by a professional or the homeowner 20 years ago.)
2. Sunlight ! Sunlight ! Sunlight ! Again-new developments seem to clear all the trees away. Several of my properties have a canopy of trees overhead which allow only 30-50 % indirect light all day. They look great and are healthy lawns--but not as healthy as a sunny location. This direct overhead sunlight will also create more visual contrast, so when a picture is taken or the property is seen when the sun is overhead the stripes will jump out more than on a property with trees overhead diffusing the light. (see below)

Healthy lawn in the sun :
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1348067&a=12909859&p=50041537&Sequence=0&res=high

Healthy lawn in the shade :
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1348067&a=12909859&p=48394926&Sequence=0&res=high

3. Irrigation. (nuff said)
4. Although I have never used it and only know from the quantity of braggs on this forum......"The Choppah"

This is not to take anything away from Eric, but just to point out that there are many circumstance beyond our control that prevent us from getting the effects that we see in the posted photos and nobody should say "I can't do it". If existing proprty circumstances were different we probably all could stripe like madmen (and madwomen).

I like the checkerboard eric--I did it last week for the hellofit--the owners noticed and commented/.

jeffyr

Runner
06-24-2001, 02:17 PM
Alot of it has to do with the type of grass too. The well defined lawns are the ones with grass types that are cut deep. - 3 inches or more THIS is what makes them stand out. If you are cutting a lawn that is at a 2 inch depth for instance (or shorter), the stripes aren't as likely to stand out like that.

TLS
06-24-2001, 08:57 PM
Jeffyr,

I dont want to start any trouble, but take no offense on this following comment. The lawn in your upper picture, I've seen it posted before but never commented on it. Is that lawn real rough or full of mole hills? It just seems that your lines look real "shakey" or "jagged". If one of my lawns looked like this, my customers would be upset, or at least ask me not to drink 40 cups of coffee before mowing. They are straight, which is one mistake I see a lot of people do, but they just seem real "nervous". What equipment are you using?

Like I said, take no offense, just looking out for you. Because if I notice and took the time to tell you, what are your customers thinking??

Good luck, and try Decaf!

Runner
06-24-2001, 10:08 PM
Tom,
Judging by the tracks, it looks like it is cut with a Gravely Promaster 300 rider. If this is the case, that really isn't that bad of a cut. There is alot of correction done with the rear wheels to keep the front deck aligned. Especially if the lawn is rough as it appears this one may be.

rdh
06-24-2001, 10:59 PM
i have figured out why go to my tread $2.00 stripe kit.i get nice stripes and checks now.

Eric ELM
06-24-2001, 11:25 PM
jeffyr
The lawns I mow, the newest lawn is about 8 years old and most are at least 20 years old. Some are as old as 40 years old.

The one on my Home page has no irrigation and was a weed patch when I started taking care of it. Using sharp blades really helps in how a lawn looks.

jeffyr
06-24-2001, 11:37 PM
Dixie,

They are kinda choppy, huh. :p Yes...there are alot of small...pocks. It seems every couple of feet I have to make a small correction to keep her straight on this lawn because of the dimples. A top dress would help as well as 100 or more hours experience on my new rider (that was shortly after learning how to operate it).

Eric,

I am surprised at the age of the homes in your photos. As always they look great. No disrespect intended.

jeffyr