PDA

View Full Version : Veggie / Canola oil lube: chainsaws > Lawn Equip.??

mdvaden
12-02-2006, 01:05 AM
On the arborist forums, I've been tracking a thread about using vegetable oil for chainsaw bar oil.

One reply even referred to Stihl making a 90% plus veggie bar oil.

Quite a few arborists use this stuff.

How about the lawn service owners / workers?

Anybody using vegetable oil in other equipment for lawn care? Any other environmental lubricants available for equipment?

SprinklerGuy
12-02-2006, 01:07 AM
Can't answer it...but I have seen a chainsaw lubricated with veggie oil used to quarter a moose in Alaska....

TURFLORD
12-02-2006, 07:40 AM
On the arborist forums, I've been tracking a thread about using vegetable oil for chainsaw bar oil.

One reply even referred to Stihl making a 90% plus veggie bar oil.

Quite a few arborists use this stuff.

How about the lawn service owners / workers?

Anybody using vegetable oil in other equipment for lawn care? Any other environmental lubricants available for equipment?
Sure. I use it in the gas tank all the time. Don't ask stupid questions.

LawnScapers of Dayton
12-02-2006, 08:04 AM
I use PAM on my hedge trimmers....

Camelot Gardens Uk
12-02-2006, 10:52 AM
Jan 2006 I went on a Chainsaw Licence course here in the UK, the instructors recommended we switch to vedge oil and more eco friendly.

Az Gardener
12-02-2006, 11:36 AM
Sure. I use it in the gas tank all the time. Don't ask stupid questions.

The only stupid question is the one not asked, if you know the answer move on, No need to try and intimidate others.

GFTC
12-02-2006, 12:40 PM
I am a professional arborist and I use veggie oil as bar oil. Its not a stupid question. As a company we are striving to become a "green" company and are always looking for more eco friendly ways to operate.

Likestomow
12-02-2006, 01:43 PM
I am a professional arborist and I use veggie oil as bar oil. Its not a stupid question. As a company we are striving to become a "green" company and are always looking for more eco friendly ways to operate.

What about the trans-fats? Aren't you worried about them?

mdvaden
12-02-2006, 02:02 PM

This morning, I found a short article by a triathete, about these oil alternatives. He used the term "Biolubricant". That seems to be a good keyword for searches.

This is one of dozens of pages that displayed for that search...

http://www.azom.com/news.asp?newsID=1376

The 0.8 liter potential for oil getting into the environment, is quite a bit, for an hour.

Here's the page from Stihl on it's biodegradable oil...

http://www.stihlusa.com/accessories/barchainoil.html

prizeprop
12-02-2006, 02:34 PM
I use the old motor oil I drain from my lawn mowers.

cantoo
12-02-2006, 05:14 PM
I use vegetable oil in my tractor in case of hose failure on a customer's lawn.

mdvaden
12-02-2006, 06:06 PM
I use vegetable oil in my tractor in case of hose failure on a customer's lawn.

Like the hydraulic pressure lines?

I remember the damage to a few golf greens or fairways from hydraulic leaks.

pcarlson1911
12-02-2006, 07:58 PM
I must be mistaken, but I thought just saw a guy with the name turflord and a picture of Conan the barbarian criticize someone for asking a stupid question?

Wake up. This is a "green industry." We should all start acting like it.

mdvaden
12-02-2006, 08:27 PM
Wake up. This is a "green industry." We should all start acting like it.

Howdy.

A moment ago, I checked out your site link classylawn.com and the name is Teacher's Turf Care.

Did you originally start out as Classy Lawn?

Is the current name your own, or is it associated with customer service, etc.?

Ramairfreak98ss
12-02-2006, 09:20 PM
so theres nothing negative about using pure vegetable oil for the chainsaws? Im not really a tree hugger lol, but i always hate when im done chopping up big trees and there is a lot of excess bar & chain oil mixed in the wood next to where the blade was.

Im gonna look into the stihl eco oil too. Otherwise ill pay a little more if i have to for veg oil. The bar and chain i already pay $6+ for the larger jug, i think its 96 oz.?

What kind of oil is most bar and chain oil? just heavy oil like gear oil or heavy motor oil?

I wouldnt ever think of using old motor oil for the chain oil, yikes, talk about having a customer ***** after seeing the mess you left after the job. I wouldnt want someone to sue me either dumping "toxic" stuff on their property by disposing my motor oil:dizzy:

mdvaden
12-02-2006, 09:46 PM
so theres nothing negative about using pure vegetable oil for the chainsaws? Im not really a tree hugger lol, but i always hate when im done chopping up big trees and there is a lot of excess bar & chain oil mixed in the wood next to where the blade was.

Im gonna look into the stihl eco oil too. Otherwise ill pay a little more if i have to for veg oil. The bar and chain i already pay $6+ for the larger jug, i think its 96 oz.?

What kind of oil is most bar and chain oil? just heavy oil like gear oil or heavy motor oil?

I wouldnt ever think of using old motor oil for the chain oil, yikes, talk about having a customer ***** after seeing the mess you left after the job. I wouldnt want someone to sue me either dumping "toxic" stuff on their property by disposing my motor oil:dizzy:

Nothing negative from environment benefits.

This subject is about a current professional trend toward plant based oils.

The only drawback I read about, was a couple of guys that let some canola oil for their bar oil reservoir, sit in there for a few months and it clogged.

But that's a small percentage.

Most oil on the market is petroleum.

Next week, I plan to make the switch.

Sometimes I only use my gas pole chainsaw once per month. I may stick with petroleum oil in that one, and keep a ketchup size bottle for it, since it's reservoir is miniscule.

TURFLORD
12-03-2006, 07:38 AM
The only stupid question is the one not asked, if you know the answer move on, No need to try and intimidate others.
I admit my post was vindictive and unappropriate. Though, when I first read this question, the only other tool I could imagine using agri-based lubricants on was a hedge trimmer. The post about hydro oil substitutes I found very interesting because I've had hoses blow on customers properties. I'm glad I have a resource sush as LawnSite. It's always good to admit when one is wrong or doesn't have the answer, but better when there's a place to go and ask questions of others no matter how smart they think they are or how stupid they are perceived to be.

cantoo
12-03-2006, 03:41 PM
mdvaden, yes I use it on the pressure lines. I also use it in my Steiner as anyone who has one knows they have leaks once in awhile. Everytime you disconnect attachments you lose a little oil so it only makes sense to use veggie if possible.
I have thought about changing my mowers over to it but have never had an oil leak yet so I haven't. We do use Pam on out trimmers.

pcarlson1911
12-04-2006, 07:10 AM
Howdy.

A moment ago, I checked out your site link classylawn.com and the name is Teacher's Turf Care.

Did you originally start out as Classy Lawn?

Is the current name your own, or is it associated with customer service, etc.?

We are teacher's turf care because both my wife and I are educators.

Our website is classylawn.com becauseitfitsthe teacher theme and is shorter than TeachersTurfCare.com. Different, but it seems to be working out well.

Our search resutls are very high on yahoo (top 5), which means people are clicking our site when they search.

Drew Gemma
12-04-2006, 10:26 AM
we spray are decks underneath with veggie oil every mourning especially when we cut wet grass or mow in the rain.

CleanCutProLawn
12-04-2006, 02:08 PM
Jacobsen has all off their golf course equipment come with there Bio Hydro oil. Its alright stuff, of course you still get the intial kill from the temp of the oil but you can have grass growing with in 3-7 days. I know we had a break on a hydro line on one of our fairway units and within 4 days the bluegrass was starting to grow back in. The only bad part is the price tag of 800 or so dollars for a 55gal drum, so its at least double the price of dino hydro oil.