PDA

View Full Version : how many solo's rent a building?

MATTHEW
06-23-2001, 10:20 PM
How many of you rent a building for equipment,or
use your home space?

rdh
06-23-2001, 10:29 PM
i have a 35x45 pole barn on my property.

Evan528
06-23-2001, 10:34 PM
I will be getting a shed on my property. I Priced garages in the area......10 by 10's were like 200 bucks a month!

Mowingman
06-23-2001, 10:37 PM
Matthew,
I used my garage and my 10x12' shed for 8 years. Last year while I was still solo, I rented a portion of a building just a short walk from my house. I got 3 garages each big enough to park a 18' trailer in, 2 air conditioned offices,and a restroom for $265.00/mth. It also has a fenced lot to park trucks and trailers in. The thought of paying out over 3000.00/yr really made me nervous, but it is so close, and such a bargain that I could not turn it down. My wife is really happy to have the garage and backyard back useable again. It has turned out to be one of the best expenditures I have made in this business.

Ssouth
06-23-2001, 10:42 PM
I rent an 18'*30' for $115/month. No power and no water (that sucks). Currently looking for a 25'*50' w/ power and water and have only found one that is $250/month. Will probably get the bigger one first of July or August.

XOFMOT
06-23-2001, 10:45 PM
I have been wondering what I will be doing once I need to purchase a WB and various other equipment....I have really been thinking about going the ENCLOSED TRAILER route (It's a shop on wheels). At home I only have a detached 1 car garage, I keep my new truck in thier now.
I like the idea of being able to unhook the trailer and your done, no unloading, putting stuff away and so forth.

I want to work out of my home, I do not want to have to travel to a shop to go get my equipment. I don't have enough property to build a large size "SHOP" (wish I did). So my thoughts for now are ENCLOSED TRAILER.

Good luck in making your choice!

kutnkru
06-23-2001, 10:46 PM
We rent the shop from our parents barn and a dry/finished garage stall for storage. The local Storeage Mall wants $75 a month for a 10'x10 for 8 months and then $150 a month for the winter storage months. We give "Gamma n Pop-Pop" $100 a month for the convenience of their building.

Kris

LAWNGODFATHER
06-23-2001, 10:50 PM
I am not a solo

but I just baught a 6000 sf building on 2 acres fenced in
all paved

I was in a barn on a farm but i hated bothring the farmer. Bad enough I barrow his trucks, tractors, and skid-loader

best tax right off yet but now I can have more securety and less bugs

what ever you do don't piss off your neghbors get a rented space or park all the way in the garage

I hate seein tailer parked in driveways with equipment on it

think about it this way you say take me I'm free to the theif
your ins. co. will like that better too...........

well any ways have a nice rest of Sat. night BUD LIGHT Tast goooooooooood....................

lawnboy82
06-23-2001, 11:11 PM
i am in a similar predicament. however right now i got my trailer parked behind a deli. i dont pay for this. however when the gardens have to be weeded i have to do it. when the lot gets blown every week, they turn to me. and other small stuff. nothing large. they have a descent size area down below that i have to talk with them about soon. cause i have been doin stuff for these guys at their homes now. and i figure it would be nice to be able to keep my stuff right by the trailer. also i scratched my father's new car a couple of months ago with my big saw. so everything has to go.

gogetter
06-24-2001, 12:38 AM
Last month I found a storage unit that's 10'x20' for $125 per month. No electric, no water.
Most storage facilities in area are around $225 an up per month and some have rules against gas storage and no "working" at unit.
I can do pretty much whatever I want at my facility.
The only down side is the distance. It's almost 20 minutes away.

Just saw an ad for a 30'x30' with electric and water for $300 a month. This is a great deal for the area, but it's too much for me right now.

Is it weird to dream at night about owning my own large shed? ;-)

Richard Martin
06-24-2001, 06:11 AM
I built a 16X24 shop attached to my house garage style 3 years ago. Electric, water, A/C, refrig, concrete slab and a Kiss pinball machine all in the shop.

MIDSOUTH
06-24-2001, 10:50 AM
I rent a 20 x 25 building with power for 125.00 a month, and it happens to be right across the street from the house.

Jay ALC
06-24-2001, 11:11 AM
I rent a 12x40 (16' ceiling) garage w/ power (and a water spout right outside the door) from a local storage place for $90.00 per month. I am also friends with the owner so we are aloud to dump our grass and debris in a ditch behind the facility which sits on two acres with 3 acres behind it in woods and grassland. I guess from reading other posts I am very lucky :)

Jay Archer
Owner/Operator
Archer Lawn Care

cp
06-24-2001, 11:48 AM
I have most of my equip on my 6x16 open trlr.

I have a 12x16 shed and a 10x12 shed for tools and work bench.

I really wish I had a shop so that everything can go in one area, I don't have a security problem but keeping your equip in the elements is not good.

Got Grass?
06-24-2001, 02:41 PM
At house have a large garage I park the trailer and the others car. Enough room for some storage in back tools, John Deer homeowner rider with dump cart (Love it for cleanups, and top soil. Haven't used a wheel barrel this season). Come winter I may store the trailer in a frends greenhouse barn. So I can use the garage for fixing the plow (of cource something will break during a storm when its -20 out). When its cold you just dont wanna get up and have to fix something outside bacause you cant pull the tailer out with the drag plow on.

SLS
06-24-2001, 02:52 PM
Exposed storage is VERY risky.

There is a LCO in my neighborhood that backs is trailer(w/all gear chained to it) under his carport. He worked late one evening last month and was in a hurry to take his kids to baseball practice and did not chain the trailer to the carport post..."I'll only be gone an hour or so..." BIG MISTAKE!

A big white extended cab pickup truck (looked just like his own according to his neighbor) showed up just as it got dark and DROVE OFF WITH HIS BUSINESS BEHIND THEM! about 15 GRAND...poof...GONE!!! :angry:

He had NO INSURANCE...too bad. :(

I think someone was "casing" him.

Moral of this story?: Shouldn't be too hard to figure out......

cutntrim
06-24-2001, 10:06 PM
Currently we rent three 10x20' storage garages for $465/mo. total. No water or electrical, but they're centrally located and secure. I'd like to go the covered trailer route someday, but it's not feasible while living in a condo apartment.

trimmer
06-24-2001, 10:18 PM
I rent a 20x20 with electric, water, and a little outside storage for 130 dollars a month.

script
06-24-2001, 10:23 PM
I back my trailer right into my garage. I like the fact that I can go in there and work on my equipment, rather than having to drive to a shop. But I guess if I ever outgrow the space I'll have to consider renting.

TLS
06-24-2001, 11:00 PM
I have a 20 x 25 two car detached garage at my house. It fits my 16' trailer and all other STUFF, but thats about it. I want to tear that down :( and replace it with a 30 x 45 garage so that at the end of the day, I hit the garage door opener, back truck and trailer into bay #1 and close door. In other bay is other truck, car, snowplows, salt spreaders, fert, salt, etc. Right now all other vehicles sit out in driveway. Have yet to decide wether to do a pole building, a block wall structure, or a wood frame structure. Problem is, old garage must go before new construction starts.

If at all possible, look for a house that can support a garage to store your equipment. Its nice to go out to the garage @ 9 PM to sharpen blades, etc. and then come back in and shower and sleep!

GreenQuest Lawn
06-25-2001, 01:10 AM
My wife works at an Industrial supply company. The owner lets me have a corner to keep my stuff. He was also the one who lent me the start-up cash for my bus. He makes the 8% interest on the loan & lets me use his shop free of charge. Also being that my wife works there I get most of my supplies at cost,

MOW ED
06-25-2001, 07:59 AM
I'm solo, (to have 1 helper in Sept.) and I keep my stuff on the trailer (7x14') in my 2 1/2 car garage at home. In the winter the trailer is emptied into the back of the garage and it goes in the backyard. The truck and van fit in the garage for the winter.

I'm going to put some type of yard barn in the backyard for the kids toys (summer) and my some of my smaller toys (winter).

soups10
06-30-2001, 07:44 PM
Hey Guys one of the things that is so easy is to barter. I have a private and secure place 5 miles from my main route and I pay zip! What I do is till the garden space in the spring do the lawn once in awhile and do a few other little things. twenty hours a season-no rent.
Meet the right people and make the right deals. Keep your $ don't give it to the IRS Soups10

Comet
06-30-2001, 08:30 PM
My house sits on 1 acre of property. Lots of room / privacy.
The driveway I use is seporate then the main drivway by 200' and leads back to a double detached garage area for my tools and such.
There is also an enclosed area of about 2,000 sf that I utilize for sand/gravel bins etc..
I like the idea of the equipment being right here as Im usually always traversing back and forth doing something or another.

I need rebuild the garage though someday and My Ideas or plans will take some time, but Im working on it.

Someday Ill be able to pull right in and drive the truck/trailer around to the rear of the garage/shed and pull right in from the rear and be ready to pull out from the front. (rear and front doors)
Will take some money to accomplish this, but for now its all working out.
Oh !! my 2 plows I have here also
thom