PDA

View Full Version : Presquared bluestone

Woodland
12-02-2006, 06:22 PM
I'm in the middle of my first patio project using presquared bluestone. The stones are 12x12, 12x18, and 18x18. The actual measurements are 1/2" shorter. I'm finding that most of the 12x12 are out of square, by about a quarter inch or so, as are a few of the 12x18's, a few of which are a bit long as well. Is this normal for presquared or should I bring this to the attention of my supplier. I don't want to complain if this is normal, but if it isn't, I'm paying way to much per sq. ft. to have to deal with this.

Grn Mtn
12-02-2006, 07:08 PM
normal, cut them with a wet saw if you want perfect, or just leave a bigger space between squares.

copeblk
12-02-2006, 08:42 PM
the saws they use are so massive it's hard to be exact. one side may be 11.5 the other 11.25 no big deal. in fact over time this space will become filled with dirt and other debris and possiably moss, which i feel gives it a lot of character, thus another reason to use bluestone, many people want that old rustic look. when you lay it you will find it fustrating to use a stringline, it takes a good eye to lay it straight. think if it like a dry stacked stone wall, you have to know what looks good, there is no instruction manual included. good luck and post some picks if possiable.

tjsquickcuts
12-02-2006, 10:10 PM
I use string line only to outline my area and to give the homeowner a idea on what the design will look like. Once I excavate my area, I usually dont pay much attention to the string line. When I compact my base to a hard solid surface, just fill with sand, and screed.....Cutting stones is the hard part....but gives your area a very professional appeal.....

We are working on a few patio right now. We are using the pre-cut 16x16. Seems to align just right.....But the key is to measure your area off to a T....If I have to make the area larger, or compensate for a short fall, its usually only off by just a little. Make sure to take plenty pics, they will be helpful when you critique your work. Good luck!

crab
12-02-2006, 10:31 PM
you should expect this ,unless youre work needs to be hand tite no big deal.