PDA

View Full Version : Are Magnetic Signs Unprofessional?

LawnBrother
12-02-2006, 07:55 PM
Currently one truck has a logo wrap and the other does not. I am thinking of getting my trucks painted and I am pondering magnetic signs for both, instead of wraps. My gf, whose opinion I value highly(of course) mentioned that she thinks magnetic signs look unprofessional. I think that wraps look better, but cost more and are permenant, for all intents. To me there is nothing wrong with magnetic signs. What's your opinion?

mojob
12-02-2006, 08:25 PM
It screams part-timer. IMO That might scare some people away.

GravelyGuy
12-02-2006, 08:43 PM
I think my magnetic signs look pretty good. Just be sure you put them on straight. I have seen people driving around town and it looks like they put them on with their eyes closed:hammerhead:

befnme
12-02-2006, 08:49 PM
it shows a lack of dedication on your part. like to say " if i cant make this job work i dont want permanant stickers on my ride"

GravelyGuy
12-02-2006, 08:58 PM
I think people will understand if you don't want to permanantly paint a $30,000 + vehicle. I think an ideal solution would be to put signage on your trailer. An enclosed trailer is perfect for this.

ElephantNest
12-02-2006, 08:58 PM
What's wrong with this?: Perfect example of not wanting stickers on a $30k truck.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/EleNest/PICT0022.jpg

Total.Lawn.Care
12-02-2006, 09:08 PM
I have magnets for my truck, but permanent lettering on my enclosed trailer. When I have a dedicated work truck for a crew, it will have permanent vinyl lettering on it/them.

HOOLIE
12-02-2006, 09:09 PM
Depending where you live a lettered truck may be against the rules...so don't assume someone is a part-timer or cheap...

I like when I see LCO's heading into the day labor site...they stop and take the signs off to go "incognito" then put them on again a little down the road...

TNT LawnCare Inc.
12-02-2006, 10:17 PM
Nothing wrong with magnet signs. And it doesnt mean your a part timer

Runner
12-02-2006, 10:52 PM
Exactly...If this were the case, I've been part time for about 25 years, vow.

Allen's LS
12-02-2006, 11:43 PM
Yeah... I think it looks un-profesional... LOL...:laugh: :laugh: If you take your time and cut them out and put them on right it looks great.

1MajorTom
12-03-2006, 12:35 AM
no i don't think they look unprofessional. i could see someone not wanting to letter up a $30,000.00 truck. we went with vinyl lettering on both trucks simply because we didn't want to have to remember to take magnetics off each night nor having to worry about someone stealing them.

mojob
12-03-2006, 12:43 AM
Another option would be to letter the back window or side windows on a ext. cab. All I was saying is that some people might think you do this part time if they didn't know you and that might scare them off. You know what they say about first impressions. I wasn't trying to insult anyone here. I'm sorry if I did.

Frontier-Lawn
12-03-2006, 01:20 AM
also some subsdivisions wont let any home owners have perm lettering on there trucks just the mags.

Mr. Vern
12-03-2006, 02:56 AM
What's wrong with this?:
Aside from the fact that it's a Chevy - which obviously shows a lack of good judgment.LOL Just kidding, so PLEASE don't let me turn this into a Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge thread. There's nothing wrong with Chevy's - in fact my wife drives one.LOL There I go again - sorry!

OK, now for a serious answer to the question. I have always feared that they looked "less professional", but that one really does look fine. I think I am just being overly cautious in thinking that. As for me I have signs on everything but my personal truck and the dump trailer I frequently pull. The fact is; I don't want people to associate my driving habits with any of my companies. I think I am a great driver, but the people around me have a different, more negative view of the subject.LOL Also, I never know which of my companies I will be representing and sometimes it is beneficial to not broadcast the affiliation between the companies. I have thought about getting magnetic signs for each of them and putting the appropriate one on when I need it, but that's just too much hassle.
BTW - my employees know that if they drive like me they will not be driving anything of mine for long. It's hypocritical as all getup, but that's the way it is and everyone knows it.:)

LawnBrother
12-03-2006, 03:26 AM
Great points all around, and Allens LS, great looking magnets! Looks very good, from here you can't really tell it's a mag.

Tom c.
12-03-2006, 06:37 AM
I still use my truck as a family vehicle. Dodge quad cab. and a hunting truck heck its my office too!! And a lunch room!

nobagger
12-03-2006, 09:27 AM
I have had both. Both of theses signs were professionally done by my uncle but when he did our trailer in vinyl lettering man it looked very professional, same as a truck imo. But there is nothing wrong with a good looking magnet sign, when I had them on the old truck they looked nice but due to the size of the magnet the lettering was fairly small and you had to be really close to the truck to make it out.

ElephantNest
12-03-2006, 10:58 AM
Aside from the fact that it's a Chevy - which obviously shows a lack of good judgment.LOL Just kidding, so PLEASE don't let me turn this into a Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge thread. There's nothing wrong with Chevy's - in fact my wife drives one.LOL There I go again - sorry!

OK, now for a serious answer to the question. I have always feared that they looked "less professional", but that one really does look fine. I think I am just being overly cautious in thinking that. As for me I have signs on everything but my personal truck and the dump trailer I frequently pull. The fact is; I don't want people to associate my driving habits with any of my companies. I think I am a great driver, but the people around me have a different, more negative view of the subject.LOL Also, I never know which of my companies I will be representing and sometimes it is beneficial to not broadcast the affiliation between the companies. I have thought about getting magnetic signs for each of them and putting the appropriate one on when I need it, but that's just too much hassle.
BTW - my employees know that if they drive like me they will not be driving anything of mine for long. It's hypocritical as all getup, but that's the way it is and everyone knows it.:)

Ok, let's get things straight. That is a GMC! Not a chevy. Boy, some people's kids.... LOL :) ( Although in the driveway sits a 2001 Silverado, hehe) What can I say, I'm a GM man. Even the little ladies car is a Chevy, in fact, eveything I own is GM except for my camper and motorcycle.

And thanks for the compliment.....I think. LOL

I have had a truck vinyl lettered, and about 5 weeks afterwards, it got wrecked. I don't keep vehicles very long, so mags are the choice for me. Plus, I can take them off when needed, like when going camping, or grocery getting. Sure, I could take another vehicle I guess, but it sure is nice to drive that big 2500HD with the BOSE system, and safety the larger truck provides. I ONLY use the 1500 Silverado for work......the GMC gets used for both.

DBL
12-03-2006, 11:03 AM
two trucks are lettered and our one old truck has mags and theyve been on there so long i think theyre stuck on there i think it looks fine its jsut or lettered ones look nicer...our new dump in the next week will be lettered

naturescape
12-03-2006, 12:00 PM
I voted for vinyl graphics. But I used mags up to about 8 years ago. And this is what I did, it looks MUCH better than most mags: Paint your mag signs the same color as the vehicle, before you letter them. From across the street they will blend in with the vehicle very well. It worked great for me on a couple of trucks!

tjsquickcuts
12-03-2006, 12:46 PM
I dont think Mag signs are all that bad, but Professional Graphics are much better, and will attract a much higher class of clientele. I have taken all signs, and lettering off my trucks because we are swamped....and dont have much time to chase after pita's and have them say the classic quote,"Oh, I had a guy that would do it for $35...." I just walk off....No need to waste anymore of my time or theirs. I am going to just work with flyers, door to door, and word of mouth. When I expand in 2008, I will have professional graphics on my entire fleet, but by then I will have rooted myself in certain neighborhoods and if they arent in a projected growth area, I will tell them I dont work that area.....

Frontier-Lawn
12-03-2006, 01:40 PM
I dont think Mag signs are all that bad, but Professional Graphics are much better, and will attract a much higher class of clientele. I have taken all signs, and lettering off my trucks because we are swamped.......

theres a company around here that 1 you have to get on a waiting list to be a client and, 2 they pull your credit report, 3 they bring in a $1,000,000 yr min.

MSS Mow
12-03-2006, 04:27 PM
What's wrong with this?: Perfect example of not wanting stickers on a $30k truck.

Not a thing wrong with it. Other's argument that they don't want to letter a $30,000 truck is not all that valid. A magnet can and will cause damage to the paint on a vehicle, where as the vinyl will not. A magnet will allow moisture, dirt, debris, etc behind it, and will definately cause damage. I have used magnets in the past and think they are fine as far as image goes. I do like vinyl lettering better, but I don't dislike magnets.

Just keep in mind, that magnets will damage your paint if you don't remove, clean and let dry nearly every day.

just my 2 cents.

BQLC
12-04-2006, 01:03 PM
I use the Magnets right now but when i get to the point that I can dedicate a truck for business only i am going to the vinyl

Prestige-Lawncare
12-04-2006, 01:16 PM
Yeah... I think it looks un-profesional... LOL...:laugh: :laugh: If you take your time and cut them out and put them on right it looks great.

Good looking truck (another Ford owner here) .... are your signs magnetic, and then cut out? If so ... they look good in the photo anyway!

FORD
:weightlifter:

topsites
12-04-2006, 01:19 PM
Magnets lose their power with HEAT!

This is one reason an electric fan gradually and slowly dies out over the years, the heat from the motor erodes the magnets over time, and thus the commutator no longer is able to propel itself 'away' from them.

It may not sound like a big deal, but with car signs, the HOT temps of a summer, in addition to the car's steel surface can draw a considerable amount of power away from the magnets.

Then in winter, when it gets cold, the plastic likes to get brittle and hard...

Translation: With magnets weak from the heat, on a cold and windy day, you go down the road doing 45mph and sooner or later one or both of them will come off!
WHEN they fall, they will crack and become useless (that's if you see them come off, they do so in almost perfect silence). As far as turning around after you realize you've lost one or two? That don't work, forget it, it's gone.

I've even had them come off before the heat and cold got to them, almost the same day I bought them.
At first, I thought maybe I'm driving too fast, stay off the 55+mph zones.
I did, and still I lost more than a few of them years ago, and after I went through a few hundred dollars in replacement costs, I swore I'd never use a magnetic sign again.

It MIGHT work ok if the surface they are stuck on is perfectly smooth and flat, absolutely NO lines from the car can get in the way of things... Then, maybe.

fiveoboy01
12-04-2006, 02:54 PM
Not a thing wrong with it. Other's argument that they don't want to letter a $30,000 truck is not all that valid. A magnet can and will cause damage to the paint on a vehicle, where as the vinyl will not. A magnet will allow moisture, dirt, debris, etc behind it, and will definately cause damage. I have used magnets in the past and think they are fine as far as image goes. I do like vinyl lettering better, but I don't dislike magnets.

Just keep in mind, that magnets will damage your paint if you don't remove, clean and let dry nearly every day.

just my 2 cents.

That is part of the reason I switched to vinyl lettering.

I did have magnets, but didn't want to damage my paint. Nothing wrong with magnets - however, I think vinyl lettering looks more professional.

Now if you're talking about that black truck, those magnets look great. The background matches the truck color, and the design is "cut out" so it's not just one big rectangle getting slapped on the door.

It's just something about a magnetic sign, it doesn't look as good when you're plastering a white background with lettering on it on a different color truck.

lawnjockey56
12-04-2006, 03:45 PM
anyone who thinks magnetics scream part timer are a wee bit condesending imo. i have used magnetics for 13 yrs and id say ive had maybe 40-50 calls from them. sounds like part timer to you? haha

jbell113
12-04-2006, 05:10 PM
I seriously doubt that a potential customer looks at your work vehicle and thinks ( Oh he has magnetic signs Im going to call someone else). They dont care.... It seems like you all Have vinyl lettering put on just to look professional to other LCO's or it makes you feel better and thats fine.

I personally like magnets because I have a seperate vehicle to do quotes so I dont want 2 vehicles with vinyl lettering. I can switch them out. Besides the signs only cost me $25 for 2.

F&SLawnCo
12-04-2006, 07:37 PM
It has been my experience in the past that the trade in value for my fleet business trucks is diminished when wrapped or painted. We use a mix of both.

LawnScapers of Dayton
12-04-2006, 08:12 PM
Nothing on my truck........signage on my trailer......

Allen's LS
12-04-2006, 08:26 PM
Good looking truck (another Ford owner here) .... are your signs magnetic, and then cut out? If so ... they look good in the photo anyway!

FORD
:weightlifter:

Thanks Prestige. My friend that designed my logo did it for a white or blue vehicle, card, letterhead, etc... When I got the Magnets they were on the standard white rectangular back ground. It took me and my daughter about 2 1/2 hours and about 30 razor blades to cut them out. They match so well that they have been mistaken for vinyl. :clapping:

Precision
12-04-2006, 09:02 PM
digital wraps are much better looking (so long as the artwork is done well)

you can also do bigger things.

And I have had more than a few people approach me and comment on having permanent signage (as a good thing).

I used magnets when I started, but my graphics cost about double the price of the magnets and look a ton better. Now my magnets are on my other vehicles to make it look like I have a bigger company.

fiveoboy01
12-04-2006, 09:06 PM
I seriously doubt that a potential customer looks at your work vehicle and thinks ( Oh he has magnetic signs Im going to call someone else). They dont care....

I disagree with that. Not all customers may care, but I bet some percieve a more professional operation with a truck with vinyl.

Military Lawns
12-04-2006, 10:19 PM
I have magnetic signs on my truck and a painted sign on the back and sides of my open trailer. I agree with Gravely Guy...$30,000 truck with permanent signs is not for me. Vinyl letters tend have a ghost or shadow effect when you peel them off (if truck is every up for sale or trade-in).

Magnetic signs are fine if done tastefully and professional.

DJ-

Josh.S
12-04-2006, 10:38 PM
Magnetic signs look ok, but I don't really like the look of having a white rectangle on a different colored truck....

There is an LCO around here, Green Thumb, that has the stickers on his extended cab and on the back window, it looks really nice and probably wouldn't give most of the problems you guys are talking about.... that is what I plan to do when I get a nicer truck next summer..

Triple R
01-09-2007, 09:05 PM
I voted for the wrap. I just don't like magnetic signs, that is unless they don't look like magnetic signs. My opinion is that with the magnetic signs you are probably more likely to attract the cheaper clientele. I ended up getting the magnetic signs for the convenience of removing them when I want to.

Triple R

Allure
01-09-2007, 09:28 PM
triple R your logo looks great on the truck. Do you mind if i ask how much something like that costs? I'm buying a new truck soon.

Triple R
01-09-2007, 09:43 PM
I got them on ebay. Bought 3 sets total, 2 pairs of the logo & 1 pair of the number but he was able to get 3 sets of numbers from 1 pair of signs. Getting them took longer than I expected, over 3 weeks from time I purchased. Was worth the wait though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Vehicle-Car-Magnetic-Magnet-Signs-Sign-FULL-COLOR_W0QQitemZ200066920492QQihZ010QQcategoryZ46718QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item20 0066920492

Here's another view with one of the trailers.

Triple R

C&K
01-09-2007, 09:43 PM

just my 2 cents.

Keep in mind that you can't remove and re-install vinyl and over time your paint fades.....all but whats under the vinyl. When you remove your vinyl to sell or trade you'll have a nice logo in the paint.
I've had vinyl on vehicles for years and thats my .02

Perfect Lawn
01-09-2007, 09:50 PM

What size sign is that on there?

joe the lawn guy
01-09-2007, 10:16 PM
what about vinyl with a magnet cover for after work i had vinyl and the places i bought from talked like it's the new way to go?

smcunningham
01-09-2007, 10:40 PM
blazer has vinly (did myself)
f-150 has magnetic
pic taken 10 mins ago

Envy Lawn Service
01-09-2007, 10:52 PM
In my totally honest opinion, I think lettering on a truck is just fine...
But also it's honestly DUMB to letter them on the paint. (I'll explain)

If your trucks are driven a lot while not in tow, I can see why you would want to letter them.
You likely need the extra advertising and name recognition.

But geez... there is NO REASON to letter them on the paint.
Most trucks look GREAT lettered on the windows, bug guard, license plate, ect.
If you have a regular cab truck where you can't get the attention you are looking for...
Magnetic signs or cutouts are the way to go.

On the trailer, bolt-on signs are the way to go in my opinion.

AND FOR GOD'S SAKE, IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO SOME SIGNS...
DO SOMETHING WITH SOME FLASH TO IT.
GET A LOGO, COLORS AND USE SOMETHING OTHER THAN PLAIN LETTERS

Anyways, I don't like lettering because if you keep anything any length of time, the paint appearance is ruined which kills what value is left.

That, and there are times when you might want to remove the advertising...
AND not just because you can't afford a dedicated truck.

But because you may get as full as you want to be, and want to avoid the phone calls.
Pull the number and be on your way.

Prestige-Lawncare
01-10-2007, 10:52 AM
I got them on ebay. Bought 3 sets total, 2 pairs of the logo & 1 pair of the number but he was able to get 3 sets of numbers from 1 pair of signs. Getting them took longer than I expected, over 3 weeks from time I purchased. Was worth the wait though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Vehicle-Car-Magnetic-Magnet-Signs-Sign-FULL-COLOR_W0QQitemZ200066920492QQihZ010QQcategoryZ46718QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item20 0066920492

Here's another view with one of the trailers.

Triple R

Looks good ... and I like your trailer too! What is it ... 16'?

Nice looking, clean rig.

Dave

Duekster
01-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Magnetic signs are OK. Full color graphics with lettering is absolutely more professional.

fiveoboy01
01-10-2007, 12:49 PM
blazer has vinly (did myself)
f-150 has magnetic
pic taken 10 mins ago

That looks hideous.

Team-Green L&L
01-10-2007, 01:00 PM
Magnetic signs are great for rental equipment, temporary trucks, and promotional vehicles. I am unimpressed by the appearance on a commercial vehicle though. To me it says, "this is my work truck until I get home and peel my sticker off".

Total.Lawn.Care
01-10-2007, 01:38 PM
Magnetic signs are great for rental equipment, temporary trucks, and promotional vehicles. I am unimpressed by the appearance on a commercial vehicle though. To me it says, "this is my work truck until I get home and peel my sticker off".

I have megnetic signs, and I almost never take them off when I am in town. However, the reason I use magnetic is because we travel to the lake to camping pretty often, and we use both trucks to pull the camper and the boat (these are personnal trucks as well) and I do not want to display my signage in a campsite.

Once I get large enough in my current market, I plan on expanding into the market around the lake that I visit. When that happens, I will not be taking the signs off. By that time, there will be dedicated work trucks.

Also, my trailer has vinyl lettering on it. Looks good to.

Triple R
01-10-2007, 10:35 PM
Looks good ... and I like your trailer too! What is it ... 16'?

Nice looking, clean rig.

Dave

It's 7'x14' but now I'd rather have a 16' - 18' by 8' - 8.5' wide. The 14' was great until I got the ztr, that mower takes up a lot of room.

Triple R