PDA

View Full Version : pole barn alarm

rdh
06-23-2001, 10:38 PM
for you guys that have alarms on your storage.
do they work good or do you get alot of false alarms ?
how much do they cost ?
what kind do you have ?
i have a 35x45 pole barn it has a dirt floor so animals get in it like
cats,and coons would they set a motion alarm off ?

lawnboy82
06-23-2001, 10:58 PM
i dont know much about the area your barn is in. however what about some form of motion detector? i dont know if you could set up an alarm with it. i am sure you could. but i know that it is really easy to set it up with a light. just go to a hardware store i guess. as for the alarm. if this is in a highly residential area, do you really wanna be pissing off your neighbors and waking up at 2 am because of some silly cats?

Rooster
06-23-2001, 11:25 PM
rdh,

It is possible to purchase an alarm for you particular situation that will not be set off by animals.

I have a friend that owns 2 different businesses. 1 has an alarm that anything that moves will set off the alarm, the second business the alarm is set to allow his guard dog to patrol the interior of the building, if even a child of 10 years old enters his alarm will trigger an intrusion.

That's all I can tell you about 2 systems I know about. I do know he had his installed by a private alarm contractor, not one of the national chains.

If you want I will ask him the type of alarm he has.

Eric ELM
06-23-2001, 11:32 PM
Lights on the outside that turn on with a motion detector is a good thing to have, even if you do put an alarm on there. A Hungry Doberman will also help. :)

jmcooper
06-23-2001, 11:32 PM
RDH, I have an alarm for my house. I had the alarm company install motion dectors that have animal sensors. With 3 cats that stay in the house all the time, we had to do it. No false alarms from the animals. The sensors are placed in the main parts of the house and all the doors have sensors.

rdh
06-23-2001, 11:35 PM
thanks rooster im going to surf the net later on what you said in the reply sounds like what i need.

rdh
06-23-2001, 11:37 PM
thank you to jim copper how much did it cost and is there a mounthly fee.

awm
06-24-2001, 07:17 AM
sounds good but im going to do some homework ,to find out how a sensor can tell the difference between a bad guy and the neighbors
shepherd.later

HOMER
06-24-2001, 08:14 AM
Bad guys are usually taller than 36"!
Unless its a mean azz midget!:blob3:

racerdave
06-24-2001, 08:25 AM
smarthome.com

David

mowerman90
06-24-2001, 12:43 PM
Go to Radio Shack and ask to talk to someone that knows about their alarms. You can get two types of motion detectors. One will set off alarm with any motion and the other sends out a beam on a plane, so to speak, that can be set up to not activate for anything under so many feet tall. This is the type that people use if they have guard dogs patroling the same area that the detector is located in. Unless the burgular crawls in, or is a midget, he'll set off the alarm. Unless the cats or coons jump up on stuff that will break the beam you'll be OK. You can probably install this yourself for less than $150 with a battery backup in case of power failure. Also check with your insurance carrier about a discount on your homeowners. It won't be much but every little bit helps.

rdh
06-24-2001, 10:27 PM
thanks every body for the good replys

Fantasy Lawns
06-24-2001, 10:33 PM
Motion Lights .....6' fence .....barb wire ......n "Cody"
http://home.cfl.rr.com/theleven/bulldog_big_barking_md_wht.gif

PrimeGreen Lawn
06-25-2001, 10:19 PM
I now a guy down the road that has a mini camera and microphone inside his garage! He can see whats going on at night in his bedroom!:blob3: