PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Engine Push Mower

GaryFenza
12-02-2006, 07:52 PM
Is there a such thing as a Diesel Engine push mower, cause that would be really cool. I love small engines and to fix them and stuff i would be the first one to buy a Diesel Push Mower Engine if it came out. ANyone ever heard of something like that or have one for that matter??

lawnspecialties
12-02-2006, 07:55 PM
Never heard of any. I imagine it would be a bit heavier than the traditional gas model.:confused:

Clear-Cut
12-03-2006, 12:50 AM
i dont want to be pushing a heavy mower with black smoke blowing in my face!

lawnmaniac883
12-03-2006, 06:15 PM
It would be heavy, expensive, smelly, and would probably not run smoothly, lots of vibrations from a single cylinder diesel

BQLC
12-04-2006, 12:59 PM
I would hate to have to push one of those around. it would have to come with Hydros on it

Idealtim
12-07-2006, 10:15 PM
mabey a diesel 48 or 60 wb, not a 21 (overkill).

LawnBrother
12-09-2006, 03:03 PM
They make smaller diesels for wb mowers in europe. I think we will begin to see some of those here soon. On a 21", though, can you say "RUT"?

Tharrell
12-14-2006, 05:53 AM
Looks like a niche market for somebody!!!
Seriously though, all the objections posted are valid. Sometimes there's a reason something doesn't exist.

hsus2k
05-11-2007, 08:11 AM
There are few small diesel engines are avilible for push mower!
Some, you'll have to modify, because most of them have horizontal shafts! (they are mostly used for small portable generators or trsh(water) pumps)
Like the The small Briggs & Stratton, Robin, Yanmar, Kubota or Hatz.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatDsp?storeId=6970&N=76+85&Ne=2

http://www.yanmar.com/store/index.asp?DEPARTMENT_ID=39

Here is one from Hatz, I believe it has vertical shaft? They are more expensive than gasoline motors, not sure how heavy they are?
http://www.diyfuel.com/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=60&osCsid=a29f1cfa921da986a115114ca5cab86b

Currently, I'm looking at this muti-fueled engine (yes, it will run on Diesel, Kerosen, and even gasoline!)

I have already converted both my (turbo Diesel) vehicles: 03 VW Golf TDI and 2000 Ford PSD F250 to run on WVO-(Waste Vegetable Oil), and my TDI still gets 40+ mpg with modified engine (up to 128 Hp/227 Ft-# torque @ the wheels - Stock at 90Hp/155 ft-# @ the Crank used to get 53 mpg!):cool2:

hsus2k
05-11-2007, 08:33 AM
BTW, How often do you mow the lawn?
I just don't see the trouble to use a diesel powered motor, even running on bio-fuel or Vegetable Oil.

For my own house, I have battery powered mower and trimmer, they both cut just fine! And much easy to breath the air without any exhaust for all your GREENERS out there. I also have two chargers for botht eh mower and the trimmer to make quick change of the battery when it gets weak.
I also have 80W solar panel chargers ready to (modify to convert to different voltages) to charge all my battery powered tools. Now that's "Free energy" from the sun (not including the cost of the panels and parts of course, only a initial one time cost!)

And I'm about to purchase a older design Lister Diesel engine to power my house to go off grid soon! (on Waste Vegetable Oil)

gopractice
09-17-2008, 02:30 PM
Can you help me get connected with a Lister for my house, too? Any advice here? We're renovating and in need of a new HVAC system. I'm interested to go with the bio-fuel option for everything to protect us from the inevitable crisis ahead. Thank you for any help, links, etc. -Matt 703-855-6288

Ramairfreak98ss
09-17-2008, 03:11 PM
Never heard of any. I imagine it would be a bit heavier than the traditional gas model.:confused:

maybe, a little bit, i know there ARE some little arse like 6hp-10hp diesels out there, expect to fork over $2000-3000 for your little 21" junko push mower though lol.

hsus2k
09-17-2008, 05:13 PM
gopractice,

Just search for "Lister", "Listero" or "slow turning diesel" on the internet, you should find plenty of info. Right now, I just can't remember any? sorry.

Ramairfreak98ss,
Some of those smaller diesel motor is not too expensive, but not sure how long they will last? I just purchased a small 13 Hp diesel generator for right under $600 (new, from e-bay) works fine with red dyed diesel and even vegetable oil!

I have all my diesel vehicles converted to run on WVO (Waste Vegetable Oil), and my 98 Jetta was getting over 50 mpg before I sold it. I still have my 03 VW Golf TDi (with 130Hp and still gets about 40+ mpg!) and 2000 F250 running on Grease!
Most Grease car conversion cost around $900-$2000, depends on the size and complication of the vehicle, but if you know what you are doing. Most parts cost under $300, and the most expensive item is the tank to hold teh grease.

gopractice
09-17-2008, 05:22 PM
Thanks! This might seem like a silly question, but, where do you get the grease? McDonalds? ;-)

hsus2k
09-17-2008, 05:30 PM
Yes, I get the WVO from CHinese restaurants. Some people are actually getting it from chain store (little bit hard to do, because most of chain store don't want to bother with you) Most Mom and Pop small restaurant will deal with you.
I filter my WVO thru a paper element filter (like the coffee type filter) to get rid of the chunky stiff!, then use a 10 micron (static rating) bag to filter thru, then down to 5 micron bag filter. after that , I dump the filtered grease into this 55 gallon drum and pump thru a cartridge filter which has a 0.5 micron rating. Then the WVO is pump up into the samll bucket full of (absorb beads) to suck in all the water or moisture. then the grease raise to near the top of the bucket and down thru this pipe which feed into my "centrifuge" which does the final spin and into a container. After that. the filtered WVO is ready to put into my vehicles to use.
Sounds simple, but a lot of work. Plus on the grease conversion kit, you must have the heater -exchanger installed to heat up the oil inorder to work. otherwise you might clog up the fuel line or injectors! That's why there are a lot of failuers and some complain is the Grease which damaged their engine! BS! i have run on my first Grease car for almost 4 years now!

But hey, It beats stopping at the gas station, and I know I'm not buying foreigne oil.:cool2:
But getting the grease is only first step! You'll need to clean and filter the Oil and make sure there is no water in it (you'll have to de-water it before using)

More and more people wanted them, they are not cheap anymore: here is one sells Lister
http://www.generatorsales.com/

Here is coupler pics of the small diesel generator for right under $600 (new, from e-bay) works fine with red dyed diesel and even vegetable oil!
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/563760955TnsASk

Some pics of the grease car conversions I've done for my friends and family member:
http://rides.webshots.com/album/218923253GNvZnv?start=24

http://rides.webshots.com/album/463023116UACyeD

gopractice
09-19-2008, 02:12 AM
Thank you for your valuable feedback! I wish I had your knowledge of how to make all of this work. I'm a professional musician, not an engine mechanic. I would like to be able to power our house with this Lister generator and also convert our cars. Could you recommend any resources for me to read, links to check out. Thank you! -Matt

hsus2k
09-19-2008, 05:46 AM
Again, for the old factory Lister diesel engine, you'll have to do more search. Just look for Lister, listero, Slow turning diesel. The main thing is the slower the enigne turns, the longer will the motor last. That is why most of these Lister enigne lasted since the 60 and the 70s and still running! And most motorcycles (especially the newer ones, spins at over 14,000 rpm, which I don't see them last over 200K or 300K miles? These Lister engine turns as slow as 600 rpm (revolution per minute)
But after all that learning on the diesel engine, you'll have to learn how to make the motor to turn into a generator and hook up to your house. (I'm not a EE or electrician. so, even I need help from my EE friends or have to hire an electrician to hook up to the house!
Currently, my wife will not allow me to continue this project, plus we might move again? I just have too many fun projects going on! I have already collected about 10 of the 275 and 330 gallon Tote tanks (with cage) in my basement and have two of the 275 outside of the house around back to catch rain water. (we havea draught situation here in the Southeast - Atlanta). So, my grass and garden is greener than any of my neighbors. I'm collecting rain water to irragate my lawn and plants! (it really cut down my water bill too!)
All the lights in the house are the engergy saving Flourcent bulbs! And all the outside lights are solar powered! And did I mention in the earlier post that I use elctric (battery powered) mower, trimer, and corded electirc blower? Also have a "HUMAN powered" reel mower to work-out on.
I've also planted some bamboo. (CAUTION! You must study all about bamboo before planting. They can get very invasive and run and grow like crazy! I have study on the bamboo subject for over an year before decided to plant them in a CONTROLLED enviroment) I build a large enclosure and still insert the barrier inside the enclosure and then planed the bamboo. Bamboo is classified as a "GRASS" family, they will grow crazy like 12inches per day! I have actually watch my bamboo grow from a small shoot to a 18 foot cane in one week!
They are very useful, Ill be using them fro crafts, and around the garden, may be build some furnitures. You can actually make paper out of it and they can be eaten too, the bamboo shoots!
BTW, you might think I'm crazy? But all these experiements are for my future vacation mountian home I want to get when I retire. I wanted to be self efficient. To live on the mountain without any utilities and bamboo is also one of my project. They can be use as a natural fence, food, and building supplies!(since they grow so fast, you can harvest within few years, unlike most lumber (trees) will take a long time to grow, plus there will be errosion issue with lumber trees!) hee, hee.........Currently, I'm building my little Suzuki Samurai (A small 4 X4 Japanese jeep, which can climb almost anywhere!) to be a rock climber, and I will be swapping a VW Turbo Diesel engine into it to run on Veggie Oil! That will be my vehicle to climb and reach my vacation home when most people can't:clapping: Sort of a self protection
The final project will be (protection), might have to looking for some firarm to protect my property up in the mountain.:usflag:

As for running Vegetable oil for your car. It must be a car or vehicle equiped with a DIESEL engine. Most diesel engine now-a days are highcompression engine, unlike the gasoline engine as the "spark ignition engine" (require spark plugs. Diesel engine do not have spark plug (unless is a rare spark ignition diesel, which are not very efficient).
You can look for website like "greasecar.com", "Greasel.com" or search for anything about grease, WVO, Bio-Diesel.......At first, I was actually looking into Bio-Diesel, but after some looking and study. Found out it will envolve few toxic chemicals and one of them is Methanol, which also burns "invisible" flame, and will ignite will a tinniest spark!
I just didn't feel safe doing that in my garage or basement.
As for Veggie Oil or Diesel, they will not catch on fire untill the temperature reach beyond 300 degree F. So, if the outside temp. is around 80F and you throw a lited match into a 55 gallon Grease, it will just putout the fire. The diesel engien work on HIGH COMPRESSION.

hsus2k
09-19-2008, 06:06 AM
Here is a link to some pics of my Rain water project: (I think i started 2007? at first I was thinking of using the 55 gallon barrels, but they are too small. You can catch and fill up a 275 gallon tank in one good rainning day!
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/560193023gHBkZk

Bamboo project (see how fast they grow?): The bamboo was free too! I think I might get some some larger "Timber" bamboo in the future for new project? They will grow like 30 feet hgh or may be more!
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/563345323AXWDPM

Small Suzuki Samurai project:
http://rides.webshots.com/album/564159150fpqTqm

I think you can also look into my other albums just by clicking on them.
Yeah, there are plenty of crazy and stupid things that I have done in there!
I even had a scooter project, but that little scooter is just collecting dust right now. I might start looking into EVs (electrical vehicles)
I've also missed my track car (Honda S2000). I'm think about buying another sports car to put it on the track again!

heather lawn sp
09-19-2008, 07:35 AM
Yes, I get the WVO from CHinese restaurants. Some people are actually getting it from chain store (little bit hard to do, because most of chain store don't want to bother with you) Most Mom and Pop small restaurant will deal with you.
I filter my WVO thru a paper element filter (like the coffee type filter) to get rid of the chunky stiff!, then use a 10 micron (static rating) bag to filter thru, then down to 5 micron bag filter. after that , I dump the filtered grease into this 55 gallon drum and pump thru a cartridge filter which has a 0.5 micron rating. Then the WVO is pump up into the samll bucket full of (absorb beads) to suck in all the water or moisture. then the grease raise to near the top of the bucket and down thru this pipe which feed into my "centrifuge" which does the final spin and into a container. After that. the filtered WVO is ready to put into my vehicles to use.
Sounds simple, but a lot of work. Plus on the grease conversion kit, you must have the heater -exchanger installed to heat up the oil inorder to work. otherwise you might clog up the fuel line or injectors! That's why there are a lot of failuers and some complain is the Grease which damaged their engine! BS! i have run on my first Grease car for almost 4 years now!

But hey, It beats stopping at the gas station, and I know I'm not buying foreigne oil.:cool2:
But getting the grease is only first step! You'll need to clean and filter the Oil and make sure there is no water in it (you'll have to de-water it before using)

More and more people wanted them, they are not cheap anymore: here is one sells Lister
http://www.generatorsales.com/

Here is coupler pics of the small diesel generator for right under $600 (new, from e-bay) works fine with red dyed diesel and even vegetable oil!
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/563760955TnsASk

Some pics of the grease car conversions I've done for my friends and family member:
http://rides.webshots.com/album/218923253GNvZnv?start=24

http://rides.webshots.com/album/463023116UACyeD

How cold have you been able to run the WVO through the winter. I've heard some need to start on diesel and switch over after warm-up. Any cool weather issues?

hsus2k
09-19-2008, 08:00 AM
Yes, I have the two tanks system with heater-exchanger in the tank and also wrapped around the fuel filter in the engine compartment. You can see some of my conversion thru the links I had provided. You should be able to check out other Albums in there?
i just didn't want to spent or talk too much of it, since I had already stole the thread from the subjust of "Diesel lawnmower"

Yes, the system on all my vehicles have to start with Diesel and warm up the engine (to heat the oil with FREE radiator fluid heat to thin the viscocity of the oil) before switching and run on veggie. Usually takes about 3-5 minutes, a bit longer in the winter; may be even more if you live in the cold climate area!
I'm trying to develope a electric heating (element) system to eliminate using Petro Diesel as much as possible. May be part solar and part battery powered? and start directly using Grease almost at start? (still working on it)
Mainly, you just don't want that "syrup" clog up your system.

But to answer your quest. No, there hasn't been any problem with running on grease with a heated system! EVen below freezing temp.
My friend did NOT get used to purging the system and switch back after shut down (each time of running) in the begining. and had to start with Grease still in the fuel line early in the morning during winter, and lucky he can start the car. My guess is we are here in the South, so, winter isn't as cold as up north, but seems like it would still able to start right below freezing, but I would not recommanded or try more often. It will damage your enigne, injection pump or injector if you do that!

I've also heard there is a single tank system or another sytem with a special nozzle to run on Veggie Oil.
But I still prefer the DUal tanks (with heater), becasue it act sort of like a Hybrid on Dual fuel.
If anything ever happened to the Grease system, you can always (trun off) and back the the origianl Diesel car and run on diesel or Bio-Diesel. Plus two tank sytem gives you almost twice amount of fuel capacity, and I don't have to stop often for fuel. With fuel mileage like around 43-45 mpg (because I had modified my VW engine to get more power (right now around 130Hp to teh wheels from 90Hp to flywheel stock), the fuel economy dropped from original 53+ mpg hwy) I can travel over 1200 miles on both tanks full (both around 15 gallons on my golf. I have 37 gallon tank in my Ford truck!)
And I can also pull a small trailer with extra fuel on the back of my VW or carry more fuel in the truck bed for long trip.

:drinkup:

heather lawn sp
09-19-2008, 08:38 AM
Further to the theft of thread

Does the Ford pick-up have the factory dual tank system? I know many of the older Ford's were built with 2 tanks, and a manual switch over valve

Jacdanboy
09-19-2008, 08:47 AM
Is there a such thing as a Diesel Engine push mower, cause that would be really cool. I love small engines and to fix them and stuff i would be the first one to buy a Diesel Push Mower Engine if it came out. ANyone ever heard of something like that or have one for that matter??

Sounds like a question from a Concordille (59) Boy - The bigger the better.

(ex - 59 member/officer here)

hsus2k
09-19-2008, 08:52 AM
No, unfortunately whenI bought the used truck, it didn't come with dual tank; and the original tank only has 29 gallon capacity!
Even if I have dual tanks, it will actually make the conversion more difficult, because you'll need to add a heater (element or exchanger) for the heated radiator fluid to circulate and heat the tank.
I actually bought a ALum. tank thru NorthernTool (37 gallon) and converted and added heater-exchange (just coiled copper tubing) and fuel level gauge to the tank. It sits inside the Cab (I have Supercab with 4 doors), but I had to pull out and eliminate the backseat. Planning on making a cushion above teh tank for seating, but right now, just me and my wife, we don't need extra seating. Just use for placing junk in the back.
Here is some pics: (again, there are other Albums on soem other modification to my truck in there)
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2324906510030506968wprsVi

One of the reason to install the the tank inside of the Cab is (a bit warmer) than just exposed on the bed, plus I have a SHort bed truck and needed the extra space in the bed area!
I've also relocated my bateries down under the Cab on the frame of the truck like on teh Ford Vans (actually used the OE battery box from the E series van)
So, there are actuall more room in the engine compartment for other future modification. I've also added a by-pass oil filter ssytem to keep motor oil cleaner ont eh driver's side.
http://rides.webshots.com/album/551970365LimVWo

hsus2k
09-19-2008, 10:11 AM
Why do you want to use a Diesel mower now when cost of Diesel is more than the regular gasoline? Even if you use Farm (red dyed) Diesel is still cost right about what regular gasoline cost. And it still pollute! And diesel motor are generally louder than gasoline motor, which you will have noise pollution around your neigborhood. The Electric mower is much quite! (both corded or cordless -battery powered)
Battery technology is much better now! My battery operated mower is already more than 2 years old and the design was probably more than 5 years old! Now there are more choices of different brand and better and larger (electric) motor which will run longer!
Ther is no pollution (other than the pollution from the electric company which produce the power!) But you can use solar charger like I do, which just cost of the solar panel and charger, and you get free energy from the sun after that to charge your battery for the mower! And it's not like a car that you will need to keep on charging it everyday or charge for long range!

My battery powered mower is a bit small (old designe) which only has 14" blade. This means I will need to walk more to cut the complete lawn than a regular 21" petrolum mower. Good exercise, and stay healther that way, wouldn't we? That's why I have the Non-powered REEL mower, which cuts grass even better than teh horizontal spinning blade.
But ther are more and more newer battery powered mower are on the market now with bigger blades and better battery which will cut better and last longer!
Beats using a grease burner mower which might turn your pants or legs black with soots!

So, both of my battery powered mower and Reel mower is better for the enviroment (won't pollute using solar charger).
And I don't have to do much of the maintainance like change the Oil, spark plug, and drain the fuel during winter (to winterrize) and never have to pull that cord the next Spring to try to start the mower. Just hold the level of the ON switch (for the battery powered mower) and go!
As for the blades, the battery powered mower is just like gas mower need to sharpen, and Reel mwoer is much easier with just oil and roll backwards to sharping the blades!
No chemicals and no mess! and enviromently clean.
The only drawback of the battery mower is that the battery will eventurally die and need replacement. And most battery is toxic and need attention of recycled.

ecoguy
08-19-2009, 05:03 PM
Hey. Good stuff. I'm planning on only using Eco mowers for my business. Reel, Electric and worst case scenario a fuel efficient gas. Can you recommend one?