PDA

View Full Version : What would you say this is worth?

Apex315
12-02-2006, 08:06 PM
Did this job 3 years ago this was the first job I did i was 19 at the time thought it was great at the time but now i can see all the errors. When I did the job it was me and another guy working on it and it took about 4 to 5 weeks to finish. We didnt go by a contract this was before i was into the buisness so we did it at an hourly rate all threw the project he was an idiot filling in behind planters and retaining walls when i told him to not adding stuff on just one of those hard people to work for. For a job this large and only 2 guys working at it how long do you guys think it should take? also what you think something that large be priced at? If i were to price that now i would say 10k? not including the brick and gravel just for labour does that sound about right?

Thanks

Dirty Water
12-02-2006, 08:17 PM
2 guys working for 4 weeks (20 days) is 320 total man hours, which means you would only bill out $31.25 per man hour for labor.

I don't know about you, but I don't know anyone who works for that cheap.

Apex315
12-02-2006, 08:25 PM
Well nowdays I try to get 55 to 60 per hour for 2 men and a truck and even thats hard to get when your 22 years old people think you should be working for min wage I even had a customer ask my employee what i pay him and then she comes to me and was like why you charging me extra for his help too haha people these days clueless

Dirty Water
12-02-2006, 08:39 PM
So if your shooting for 55 an hour, why suggest that you'd price that at 10k for labor? I mean, your only off by $7600 :)

Apex315
12-02-2006, 08:58 PM
Im just roughin it but that was the first job for both of us now having more experience im thinking I things would work faster... just by lookin at the pics what you think it would be worth?

Uranus
12-02-2006, 08:59 PM
just 1 patio alone would be atleast $4000. You have 2 and sidewalks too. Add in the steps and uneven grade and you gave them a great deal. For that price I would not care about small little mistakes, like seams lining up and capstones not cut perfect.

Uranus
12-02-2006, 09:03 PM
Im just roughin it but that was the first job for both of us now having more experience im thinking I things would work faster... just by lookin at the pics what you think it would be worth?

Not knowing sq footages I'm only guessing but at least double what you charged. Whats the soil like and how much and what kind of base did you put down?

Apex315
12-02-2006, 09:07 PM
thats not what i charged if you only knew how bad he ripped me i was sepose to be making 20 an hour same as the other guy he supplied base brick shrubs and he took care of the seeding around the brickwork...the house was set really high so there is alot of base more then enough to support a driveway
so all I accounted for was the labour but at the end he said i took too long and gave me what he thought I deserved

Uranus
12-02-2006, 09:10 PM
What did he give you and how many hours did you work on the project? Did you show up ontime and not take breaks? How many times did you leave early or take a long luch break. Figure that all in and how bad did you piss this guy off?

Apex315
12-02-2006, 09:24 PM
We worked long days I found out later on this is what he does to people thats why he has what he has......it came out to like min wage each for the hours we worked maybe a bit less we ate lunch there under 20 min and didnt take many breaks
I just heard about him getting his hair cutting business painted got the guy to do the work then in the end he said i just wanted you to paint over the old stuff but this guy scraped all the paint off he only got paid 8 hours for about 4 days of work.

Dirty Water
12-02-2006, 09:26 PM
See, this is why you have contracts.

I set the prices, not the customer. It doesn't matter if your 19, or 99.

Apex315
12-02-2006, 09:28 PM
very true I learned my lesson early thank god

Henry
12-03-2006, 08:32 AM
Where was this guy when the painter was scraping? Was the painter an inexperienced kid also?

Apex315
12-03-2006, 12:11 PM
actully he was older dood prolly in 40s or 50s thats what this guy does rips people off

GroundScapesIncorporated
12-06-2006, 08:46 PM
work looks good for your first project.

I only see one mistake your making.
If you want to get paid like the pros you gotta start acting like one, your work is worth what you make it. If you make it worth 30 an hour, thats what it will be worth, regardless of your age. Your age doesnt mean a thing, your work however does. You need a little more confidence, by looking at your work, you do have the ability to be worth 50-60 an hour, you just gotta start acting like it.
Theres only one kind of "Good" work and that is perfect. Is your work Good or not, you decide.
That job for any good contractor should have been $20000+

DeereHauler
12-11-2006, 08:05 PM
work looks good for your first project.

I only see one mistake your making.
If you want to get paid like the pros you gotta start acting like one, your work is worth what you make it. If you make it worth 30 an hour, thats what it will be worth, regardless of your age. Your age doesnt mean a thing, your work however does. You need a little more confidence, by looking at your work, you do have the ability to be worth 50-60 an hour, you just gotta start acting like it.
Theres only one kind of "Good" work and that is perfect. Is your work Good or not, you decide.
That job for any good contractor should have been $20000+

Apex, nice work. i would be proud of a job that nice.

i agree highly with groundscapes, people should judge the work, not your age. i've often thought about hiring a "middle-aged" salesman, because i'm also 22 and my best customer keeps cutting me off with larger projects, and i have every reason to think its an age issue. i've wished to be older since the day i graduated high school, so i could get more respect. but i'm very happy with everything i have.

i don't know what to charge for your job, but if you didn't get paid enough, live and learn. good luck!

Apex315
12-11-2006, 08:33 PM
The age this is in fact true I went to school and taken courses and i live in small town with 2 other landscaping companies in it neither have any courses ect they been in business 2 years and ive been around alot longer ive had customers bluntly tell me im too young ive had customers i do lawn maintenance for and they sometimes will hire the other company for larger projects and the people that give them to you expect it done for nothing because were 22 and should be making min wage but as its mentioned all over htis site they dont realize about equip costs and everything else.

cutbetterthanyou
12-15-2006, 12:47 AM
guys i am 23 and have gotten the same bs with people.i don't do pavers yet (plan to soon) now just grass and landscape. i couldn't get a chance in the world on big accounts ,and i swear i have the best looking crew in my town. new equipment, matching trucks, uniforms etc. so i got a 40k year contract on the state highway where they cant turn me down . it has changed attitude's a little now to because of the state referral. my point is don't let it get you down. just find people who will not judge you (state highway median stripes have pavers to)

2007 duramax
2006 benz
2001 power stroke
1993 fuso dump truck
20ft pace enclosed
22 ft open
72in exmark
60in scag
36in scag
2615 mahindria tractor

GroundScapesIncorporated
12-15-2006, 07:20 PM
If your work and reputation are good enough, then it truly wont matter what your age is. One bad habit ive seen with younger contractors is not knowing how important it is to do what you say you are. If you tell someone that you will be there at 9.00am on monday then you need to be there at 855am on monday. If you dont want to trim betty lous pyracantha because she is annoying and wont pay enough. That doesnt make it ok to not return her phone calls.