PDA

View Full Version : Adding a StakeBed Dump

kutnkru
06-23-2001, 11:56 PM
We just purchased a 1986 Chevy 3500 12ft StakeBed with a 350/5speed. I was wondering what you guys would say is the best type of ram system (hydraulic or electric) to have mounted on this vehicle.

The truck was bought from a farmer who used it strictly for private use on his farm. The truck is in exceptional condition for the year.

Thanks for your assistance.
Kris

Guido
06-24-2001, 06:05 AM
When I built my 1 ton dump a few years back, I used a 7 ton electric hoist. I never had any problems with it. If you go electric, make sure you seal up all the solonoids good before the winter. If not they go quick! I can't remember exactly but I think I paid between $1200 - $1500 for a nice diamond tread flat bed, the hoist, and a good tow plate with a pintle hook, all installed.

dan deutekom
06-24-2001, 11:52 AM
I would go with hydraulic. We had 2 identical stake trucks except one had hydraulic lift and the other electric. The electric was slow to lift and occasionally it didn't have the guts to lift a load of wet soil to dump. The hydraulic was fast to lift and it would move a mountain. BTW I am notorious for overloading trucks which may have some bearing on this

jeffyr
06-24-2001, 03:53 PM
I have a hydro on my 72.....yes 1972 chevy c-30. It was used for roofing for the first 18 or so years of its life. It sat for 8 or so years and I have been using it even since.

No problems to date with the dump (It has been in the family since it was new so I know).

Guido---I think you got an exceptional price on your bed, dump and hitch. My hitch alone was $250.

jeffyr

Guido
06-24-2001, 04:51 PM
I made out pretty well on that deal, I went to a little hole in the wall in SOuthington, CT, and they hooked me up!

And I want to apologize, I was in a rush earlier and didn't red Kris' post very well. If I had a manual tranny I would go with PTO. I had no choice but electric, and I was just telling my experiences with electric. If you have the choice, go off your PTO though.

jeffyr
06-24-2001, 06:35 PM
I am not familiar with adding on a PTO.....is it possible to do and is it cheap enough ? What are the requirements ? I just thought that a truck would have to be ordered with a PTO, just like 4 wheel drive. Doesn't it work like a transfer case and spin the gears when the lever is engaged.

jeffyr

SCL
06-24-2001, 06:58 PM
On my Ford I have central hydraulics with an auto trans. Works the plow and the dump box. Best setup I've seen but they are a bit pricey to have installed. My truck came this way and its been the best part of the deal.

kutnkru
06-24-2001, 09:25 PM
Tomorrow I will check into the Hydraulic and the PTO systems. I will get back with you on what some of the local Trucking Repair Shops had to say.

Kris

Foz
06-26-2001, 07:13 PM
Kris
Check with Binghamton truck body, that is where i got my dump box & hoist (Rugby) nice unit, PTO driven

kutnkru
06-26-2001, 09:01 PM
Foz

Thanks for the tip. I stopped by Frank George and Cook Bros. the other day. I completely forgot about the boys on Alice St.:eek:

Thanks again, I will call them tomorrow.
Kris

jeffyr
06-29-2001, 06:36 AM
Kris,

What was the outcome ?

jeffyr

racerdave
07-12-2001, 03:22 PM
I think you may find that the elctrohydraulic unit is the best deal $ wise. It will run alittle slower than the pto driven hydraulic unit because it requires smaller pump due to horsepower limitations. But they should pick up the same load.