PDA

View Full Version : John Deere 7 Iron II deck, leaves and mulching

Roger
12-02-2006, 10:31 PM
Does anybody use an OCDC on their 7 Iron II deck for mulching leaves?

If so, what blade setup are you using?

I run an Exmark with the chute blocked for making rough leaf mulching passes. But, I learned that my standard lift, notched air foil blades create too much blowout. Also, my hi-lift Gators have more blowout than I would like. The best blade is a regular Gator. No, the result does not leave the debris evenly spread, but that can be solved with a wheeled blower, or with a cross pass with the mower, chute blocker removed.

I have a JD 717A, and tried a chute blocker. The only blades I have are the OEM blades. They do a great job on turf, but create far, far too much blowout for a simple chute blocker scheme.

Which leads me to my question: What blades are the best choice for rough leaf mulching, with a simple chute blocker scheme?

I ended up using my 717A very little over the leaf season because I couldn't mulch leaves with it. I still had properties for discharge mowing, so I did not want to mount a mulch kit. An answer in another thread revealed that to mount/dismount the mulch kit is a large job. Therefore, an on/off procedure is out of the question.

I posted this in another thread a few weeks ago and received no responses. Perhaps nobody is using a simple chute blocker setup on the 7 Iron II deck.

jeffex
12-02-2006, 11:05 PM
go to home depot and get some alum. trim and use duct tape to attatch it to the front of your deck to make a anti blow out baffle. When the leaf season is over rip it off and your done. The concept is simple . let it hang under the deck in a "L" shape just a little to help direct the air flow from blowing the leaves out . its not pretty but it works and the cost is minimal. hit the search for anti blowout baffles and ther should be much info on this topic

robbo521
12-03-2006, 12:55 AM
i have the same mower and have the full mulch kit.friend has this mower with just the cover plate.he called and wanted to play so i loaded up and went over.this nutt had put leafs all in his yard.he has stock blades and i dont know what mine are they came with the kit.he went through one side once and i went the other side.he had leafs all over him and the mower after 3 passes,after my second pass you could not see them,just like they were sucked up.i do have some blow out but it is very little.just looking at mine i dont see how it could be a pain taking it off,but might be.i mulch all my yards so no big deal for me.

gl1200a
12-04-2006, 08:22 PM
I run Meg-Mo blades on my 727A with a powered OCDC. The set-up works well with the OCDC open or closed. The closed OCDC really grinds the leaves and clippings to nothing.

Roger
12-05-2006, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the replies. Obviously, the sparse responses tell me that few folks are doing what I want to do (and gl1200a is already doing).

robbo521 ... Your comments about mounting/dismounting the mulch kit imply that you have not had the opportunity to do the task. Or, if you have done it, how long did it take?

I see my options as a mulch kit with OEM mulch blades (or Gators), or getting a OCDC and Meg-Mos (or Gators). I understand Meg-Mos take considerably more power to run (gl1200a, confirm or deny?). The 19hp Kaw on my 717A is pretty skinny on power, so the combination of Meg-Mo and 19hp may not work very well.

robbo521
12-05-2006, 09:57 AM
i have not took mine off.they put it on before i picked it up.

Total.Lawn.Care
12-05-2006, 10:35 AM
I have switched to Gator Blades on my 727A, but I do not have a mulch kit nor a OCDC. I just use the gators to mulch them and discharge them in one direction and then blow off any remaining leaved on the turf with the BR600.

gl1200a
12-05-2006, 11:28 PM
The Meg-Mo's only seem to pull a little more when at start-up. Once the blades are going it seems to have no effect. I run gators as my OEM blades when I don't have the Meg-Mo's on. The gators add another demension to refining the clippings further while the Meg-mo's really dust the fall leaves and debris.