PDA

View Full Version : Think this dethatcher is any good?

gogetter
06-24-2001, 12:43 AM
Wanted to see if you guys had any thoughts on this unit for dethatching small lawns? It's cheap enough.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1248965575

KirbysLawn
06-24-2001, 12:51 AM
If I was planning on buying I would NOT post it on a forum. Now you have several hundred more people that will view it and maybe out bid you, just a thought...

As for the tiller, it will do a good job...slowly...:)

XOFMOT
06-24-2001, 01:05 AM
Read the description and you will see that it is for the attachments only!

hobbes
06-24-2001, 01:11 AM
gogetter,
Unless you want a real good workout don't get it. You have to PULL the machine backwards for it to work.
Perfect if you're using it on one lawn.
Plus you have to buy the Mantis. That's an attachment for the tiller.

gogetter
06-24-2001, 01:23 AM
Well, I feel stupid! I'm usually pretty good at reading the details. I thought that seemed awfully cheap!
Good looking out guys. Thanks.

jaclawn
06-24-2001, 01:18 PM
I have had a Mantis for over 10 years, and can honestly say that it is one of my best purchases. It is a great tool for what it was designed for. It will not take the place of a lareger tiller, but for work in flower beds, patching bare turf, mixing compost into soil... it works great.

As far as the attachments go, I have both the aerator and de-thatcher. The aerator is useless as an aerator, however, it will work in much the same fashion as a fixed tine dethtcher for removing thatch from lawns. I would not purchase this attachment again.

The De-thatcher is another story. This is a very useful attachment. Again, think if what it was designed for. It is great for use in tight areas, on hillsides, and for areas that are delicate, and require a light touch.

Yes, you are pulling the machine against the rotation of the tines, but the machine is so light, that it is not a chore to run. The spring tines are not as agressive as a fixed or flail bladed machine, however, they do a great job at removing thatch.

I am not sure on current pricing on the attachments, so I cannot comment on the price asked for these.

I would buy another Mantis AND Dethatcher attachment in a heartbeat.

hobbes
06-24-2001, 05:09 PM
jaclawn,
gogetter wants to use dethatcher on an entire lawn, not just tight spots. I agree with you it's good in certain circumstances, but try doing a couple small lawns with it and you will not find it so light.

jaclawn
06-25-2001, 10:10 PM
Define a small lawn. Could be 1000 square feet?

Lawn DOG
06-25-2001, 11:02 PM
We have one. Great for flower beds. It would have to be a very small area to use as a dethatcher. As far as being an aerator, I saw a great pair of shoes with nails on them that I would use first. LOL:laugh: